The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Media obviously. Moral panics argh. We did the media last year in sociology and it really opened my eyes to how manipulated we are. And im not one for conspiracy theories
Reply 21
because i myself have been in situations where death could have resulted 3 times in the last year,

only last night i was threatened with a baseball bat and a meat clever for saying 'tata' (like bye) there is so many ***** about. i go out for fun but so many pricks seem caught up on fighting, and no one has backbone, most young people will happily use a weapon, to make them feel powerful, when it just makes them look like a pussy.

this time last year my friend got stabbed in the neck and was very very lucky to live.

thats why i dont think its got any better.
Reply 22
1. There's no way i trust police statistics, if you listened to all of their statistics, crime has been dropping by like 5% every year since the second world war, which clearly hasn't happened.

2. Also, there's been a huge decrease in people reporting things to the police, those statistics only show reported incidents, considering something like 80-90% of rapes go unreported.... you can see how the statistics don't give you any kind of accurate measure of the level of crime.

3. The media is also to blame, and is probably one of the reasons people don't report crime as much anymore, they now have an irrational fear of being stabbed.
Reply 23
Well, I've lived in London all my life and never experienced anything like this. Maybe it's something about how you interact with people?
Reply 24
Joluk
Also, there's been a huge decrease in people reporting things to the police, those statistics only show reported incidents, considering something like 80-90% of rapes go unreported.... you can see how the statistics don't give you any kind of accurate measure of the level of crime.

I was always under the impression that people are becoming more willing to report a crime, not the other way round.

Joluk
The media is also to blame, and is probably one of the reasons people don't report crime as much anymore, they now have an irrational fear of being stabbed.

This doesn't make sense. How exactly does the media influence people to not report a crime? Surely it's the other way round: the media influence the people to report crimes that take place.
Reply 25
Joluk
considering something like 80-90% of rapes go unreported....

Where did you get that from? It should be obvious that it's impossible to measure.
Reply 26
JectioN

This doesn't make sense. How exactly does the media influence people to not report a crime? Surely it's the other way round: the media influence the people to report crimes that take place.

Not at all, the media constantly runs stories of people who try to intervene in crime and end up getting killed or put in hospital. It makes people think if they talk teenagers and ask them to move or stop messing about, they might get stabbed. The media helps to create a climate of fear, and if they see a crime, they're less likely to do anything about it.
Reply 27
thetroll
Where did you get that from? It should be obvious that it's impossible to measure.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4452962.stm

I'm not sure how exactly he worked that out though...

Latest

Trending

Trending