The Student Room Group

Urgent- (Liverpool/Soton) Help choosing medical school! (Advice appreciated!)

Hi everyone.

I am asking on behalf of a friend-
S/he has been offered a place to read medicine at 2 universities, starting this September. They are:
- The University of Liverpool, and
- The University of Southampton

The difference between the 2 choices would be that the fees cost for Southampton would be around 5-6 times LESS than that for Liverpool, due to the opportunity of scholarship/ funding (not sure of the details, just the fact that Soton would be considerably cheaper).

Does anyone know of any clear advantages of Liverpool Uni over Soton that would override the obvious benefit of lower tuition fees? They are both in the Russell Group.

I am aware that the UCAS deadline has passed, but due to the nature of the conditional offer from Liverpool (it has been put as the firm choice for now with Soton as insurance) it is possible to alter the outcome so that the offer from Soton is accepted instead- but this needs to be done within the next 2 days.

I'm looking for some advice on the teaching methods etc. especially from current med school students (esp. at either of the 2 universities). Some advice on prestige/ reputation would be good- the relative employability of graduates from each uni.

Thank you! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Please, any help would be greatly appreciated! Any tips/ advice/ facts about either uni as well. Thanks!
Soton, but only because I lived up north long enough to start hating scouse accents.
Southampton is clearly much better.
Reply 4
Choose Soton. We're awesome and obviously cheaper. And if this sort of thing floats your boat, you get a BMedSci for your money too, which you won't get at Liverpool.

Plus we're warmer, closer to London and have less PBL.

Why would you go to Liverpool?

Ataloss is gonna hurt me :frown:
Reply 5
Thank you guys for your replies! If there are any additional comments (especially regarding Liverpool's course structure) please continue posting! :smile:

Thanks again!- the point about the extra BMedSci was especially useful- thx Sarky! (EDIT: + rep! :smile:)
Reply 6
Presumably she had a reason for choosing Liverpool over Soton in the first place?

As medical schools go, there's no clear advantage in graduating from one over the other. Personally I hated Liverpool when I visited but these things are rather subjective.
Reply 7
JCM89
Presumably she had a reason for choosing Liverpool over Soton in the first place?

As medical schools go, there's no clear advantage in graduating from one over the other. Personally I hated Liverpool when I visited but these things are rather subjective.

The reason for choosing Liverpool over Soton in the first place was that the nature of the conditional offers meant that putting Liverpool first still allowed Soton to be the final outcome, whereas putting Soton first meant that the Liverpool offer would definitely not become the final outcome.

So, to sum it up, the reason for putting Liverpool as a firm / Soton as insurance was not based on the merits of either university, but rather, due to the nature of the offers and that it bought extra time to decide between the two.

Thank you for your reply & would appreciate any more replies so I can get back to my friend. Soton seems to be the clear popular choice atm. Thank you!
Reply 8
stormcloud

Thank you for your reply & would appreciate any more replies so I can get back to my friend. Soton seems to be the clear popular choice atm. Thank you!

If your friend is going to base her decision on the views of a couple of people on an internet forum she is better going to Southampton to be honest - she clearly isn't of Liverpool calibre. :yep: :p:
Reply 9
yeah, liverpool have the high callibre of students who take a stab in the dark and go for the poorer uni rather than asking others opinions who have experience of both unis
Reply 10
Ataloss
If your friend is going to base her decision on the views of a couple of people on an internet forum she is better going to Southampton to be honest - she clearly isn't of Liverpool calibre. :yep: :p:

:p:
Reply 11
Ataloss

Well it's just that s/he has already had a look through all the uni brochures and websites, so I thought I'd help by asking the opinion of some med students. -Sometimes it's the students that know little facts/ characteristics of the med schools that can have a large impact! That they are on an internet forum cannot be helped! I don't know any Soton/ Liverpool med students personally! :s-smilie: :p:

In addition- does anyone know anything about the practical years of medical school in each of the unis? How many hospitals does Soton/ Liverpool work in conjunction with/ how far away are they from campus etc?
stormcloud
Well it's just that s/he has already had a look through all the uni brochures and websites, so I thought I'd help by asking the opinion of some med students. -Sometimes it's the students that know little facts/ characteristics of the med schools that can have a large impact! That they are on an internet forum cannot be helped! I don't know any Soton/ Liverpool med students personally! :s-smilie: :p:

In addition- does anyone know anything about the practical years of medical school in each of the unis? How many hospitals does Soton/ Liverpool work in conjunction with/ how far away are they from campus etc?

AFAIK, both can be quite a trek and it certainly shouldn't affect the decision.

For clinicals in Southampton, you can be sent to, well, Southampton, Portsmouth, Gosport, Chichester, Winchester, Bournemouth, Poole, Dorchester, Guildford, Wexham, Frimley, Basingstoke, Salisbury, Crawley... probably missed some, but I don't see why this matters.

In the early years they tend to keep you close, like in So'ton itself.

For crying out loud though, Southampton is clearly the better choice.
Reply 13
I went to a Liverpool Medical Institution lecture at Christmas, and really like it until i realised that despite my 12 A*'s at GCSE, and expect AAAA at A2 (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths) they wouldn't except me due to having Further Maths - something they don't list in their prospectus.

I'd go Southampton just on that principle!
19becky91
I went to a Liverpool Medical Institution lecture at Christmas, and really like it until i realised that despite my 12 A*'s at GCSE, and expect AAAA at A2 (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths) they wouldn't except me due to having Further Maths - something they don't list in their prospectus.

I'd go Southampton just on that principle!

Actually, pretty much every medical school states that they count Maths and Further Maths as one subject - and Biology and Human Biology as one, etc...

If you have 4 A2s though it shouldn't matter, as even if they both count as 1, you still have 3 and 3 is all you need.
Reply 15
Toiletpaper8
AFAIK, both can be quite a trek and it certainly shouldn't affect the decision.

For clinicals in Southampton, you can be sent to, well, Southampton, Portsmouth, Gosport, Chichester, Winchester, Bournemouth, Poole, Dorchester, Guildford, Wexham, Frimley, Basingstoke, Salisbury, Crawley... probably missed some, but I don't see why this matters.

In the early years they tend to keep you close, like in So'ton itself.

For crying out loud though, Southampton is clearly the better choice.

These are only for final year.

For third year you will either be in Southampton, Winchester or Portsmouth. And the same for fourth year (and you only have about 8 weeks of attachments in 4th year).

I have nothing against liverpool (apart from its far from my granny's house) but if it is about money then you have to balance the more expensive cost of living down south with the fact that you get an extra qualification in Southampton for the same amount of time.

I wanted to apply to liverpool when I was younger, but that was when I didn't understand what PBL was and just wanted to get as far away from London as I could :o:
Reply 16
Toiletpaper8
Actually, pretty much every medical school states that they count Maths and Further Maths as one subject - and Biology and Human Biology as one, etc...

If you have 4 A2s though it shouldn't matter, as even if they both count as 1, you still have 3 and 3 is all you need.

Nah, Liverpool, Cardiff and Edinburgh have said they won't accept me cos my fourth As equivalent is 'Further Maths', and not something completely unrelated like History, French etc...

I've spoken to Cambridge about this who think it's a completely ridiculous attitude to have towards possible the hardest A level.
19becky91
Nah, Liverpool, Cardiff and Edinburgh have said they won't accept me cos my fourth As equivalent is 'Further Maths', and not something completely unrelated like History, French etc...

I've spoken to Cambridge about this who think it's a completely ridiculous attitude to have towards possible the hardest A level.

Well, I agree personally. It kind of narrows your curriculum, and when applying for medical school, I feel you need a broad curriculum in order to be a well-rounded person, academically. Doing a 4th A level like history or geography or something requires a different set of skills to those required to do science. Plus, I'd disagree that Further Maths is the hardest A level. It simply isn't. I could have done it if I'd wanted to - a lot of people could have, but at the end of the day, it's narrowing your education.

And of course Cambridge would think it's ridiculous - they're looking for medical scientists in applicants, not doctors.
Sarky
These are only for final year.

For third year you will either be in Southampton, Winchester or Portsmouth. And the same for fourth year (and you only have about 8 weeks of attachments in 4th year).

I have nothing against liverpool (apart from its far from my granny's house) but if it is about money then you have to balance the more expensive cost of living down south with the fact that you get an extra qualification in Southampton for the same amount of time.

I wanted to apply to liverpool when I was younger, but that was when I didn't understand what PBL was and just wanted to get as far away from London as I could :o:

Ah ok, I see. I was referring to the massive map we got given on the visit day, where they also falsely told us we'd get a BSc with honours opposed to a BMedSci :p:

You were a wannabe Liverpudlian at some point?? No way!! :eek:
Reply 19
Toiletpaper8
Ah ok, I see. I was referring to the massive map we got given on the visit day, where they also falsely told us we'd get a BSc with honours opposed to a BMedSci :p:

You were a wannabe Liverpudlian at some point?? No way!! :eek:

At some point a BSc was the plan but that got the kibosh for some reason. :confused:

I think Liverpool seems like a really nice city, but having never been there I can't be certain. I don't listen to stereotypes about places and I think the accent is cool. I like accents. Southampton doesn't have one. Well only a faint farmerish accent but you have to listen very carefully its really subtle. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending