The Student Room Group

2011 Entry- Hopeful Medic Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Hello! :hi:

I'm not sure if I've already commented on this thread but anyway... I'm also aiming for Medicine. :smile: Doing Biology, Chemistry, Classical Civilisation, Latin and Maths. A bit of a weird combination but oh well! :biggrin:

I might try for Cambridge, KCL/UCL, Bristol and Southampton? Maybe. I'm very indecisive! But we've got a while to think about that thankfully!
<3 biology!
Hello! :hi:

I'm not sure if I've already commented on this thread but anyway... I'm also aiming for Medicine. :smile: Doing Biology, Chemistry, Classical Civilisation, Latin and Maths. A bit of a weird combination but oh well! :biggrin:

I might try for Cambridge, KCL/UCL, Bristol and Southampton? Maybe. I'm very indecisive! But we've got a while to think about that thankfully!

Nice contrasting subjects! Most people I know (myself included) are taking all the sciences and maths. UCL say they give some preference to people with contrasting subjects :smile:

Does anyone have any work experience organised?
Reply 182
gildartz
I think you kinda do XD

It's cool too. But as far as I can make out the course style is more traditional with more emphasis on medical knowledge and theory rather than patient interaction. But I intend to do my research on all my choices soon enough.

And I've contacted UCH about one week of work experience. They haven't replied yet but if all else fails I'll try get my cousin to get me in :smile: Or try Whittington.
Reply 183
another 2011 medicine applicant= MEEEEEE:rolleyes: but intenational one!
i just want to get through it and hit just one-for god just one- place in one of my choices
from now till we all win a place cross fingers
go0d luck every one
me me me :biggrin: woo go prospective med-school applicants :smile:
ergh work experience = NOT GOING TOO WELL ATM! Nowhere is replying etc... you know how these places are :{ -sigh-
I just wish it will sort itself out already... but it's not!
Scrubby
It's cool too. But as far as I can make out the course style is more traditional with more emphasis on medical knowledge and theory rather than patient interaction. But I intend to do my research on all my choices soon enough.

And I've contacted UCH about one week of work experience. They haven't replied yet but if all else fails I'll try get my cousin to get me in :smile: Or try Whittington.

There are loads of places around London other than UCH and Whittington. It's probably going to be hard to get work experience in one of those because there are so many students at UCL. Though that may be a load of crap. Try the Royal Free? Guys? One of the non-heavily studented ones? There are loads of hospitals around london. But they don't always want under 18s.
Reply 186
Oh I know. But they're the ones I'd want to work at. Which is why I'm starting early. If they say no or I don't get a response I'll keep moving down the list. And my cousin works at UCH so if they ignore or turn me down I'll just get him to squeeze me in.
Hello!! I am also a medic wannabe for 2011!! I am taking Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Spanish and English Lit!! For now I have no medical experience but I am trying to get some hospital work for the xmas holidays... I am looking at Cambridge and UCL as my main joices and the other two maybe Edingburgh and Leeds not yet sure...
Work experiance on monday whooot
Reply 189
Jessaay!
There are loads of places around London other than UCH and Whittington. It's probably going to be hard to get work experience in one of those because there are so many students at UCL. Though that may be a load of crap. Try the Royal Free? Guys? One of the non-heavily studented ones? There are loads of hospitals around london. But they don't always want under 18s.

Fresher, how are you finding things?
Wangers
Fresher, how are you finding things?

Good! Just been to Huntley! I have been told to down it way too many times by you guys!

Edit: well what I presume is you guys, seeing as you just called me fresher. When will I obtain my own name!
Reply 191
Anyone going to medlink then? and if so which one? ooh and have you received the letter from them yet?
Reply 192
anyone in here in year 13 and taking a gap year to apply for 2011 just curious
Isn't this a little eager? You can't completely decide until you get your AS results.
MoTheMedic
Isn't this a little eager? You can't completely decide until you get your AS results.

Gap years people
Those applying for deffered entry
Graduate applicants

TBH i started my application in year 12 ie trying to get work experiance etc
brokenangel
Gap years people
Those applying for deffered entry
Graduate applicants

TBH i started my application in year 12 ie trying to get work experiance etc

Oh thought it was just for people doing AS Levels and I think it's way too early to be thinking of which Uni's you want to apply to before you get any kind of grades.
MoTheMedic
Oh thought it was just for people doing AS Levels and I think it's way too early to be thinking of which Uni's you want to apply to before you get any kind of grades.

Its is too early to be picking uni as such but thinking about what opendays you wish to go to is definatly possible. I know that the 2011 opendays are actually starting prity soon. However work experiance voluntary work etc is definatly something 2011 applicants should be thinking about, possible even 2012 applicants
brokenangel
Its is too early to be picking uni as such but thinking about what opendays you wish to go to is definatly possible. I know that the 2011 opendays are actually starting prity soon. However work experiance voluntary work etc is definatly something 2011 applicants should be thinking about, possible even 2012 applicants

Agree with you there. I've just started some voluntary work.
MoTheMedic
Agree with you there. I've just started some voluntary work.

Ah cool what you doing???
brokenangel
Ah cool what you doing???

Charity Shop although they just stick me in the stock room and leave me with bags of old clothes. Good experience but it doesn't help to have serious sinus problems and open dusty bags.

Also, a Care Home which I really enjoy.

Not old enough for any clinical experience. I keep pestering my GP but they've told me to wait till I'm 16 which is April :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending