The Student Room Group

2011 Entry- Hopeful Medic Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2760
Original post by conorcd
I love the north but picked the unis that I had most chance with and they are all northern. Just hate our weather. dream of studying in Australia or anywhere warm

Haha where'd you end up applying? And ahh lol, spiders in australia scare me :P
Reply 2761
Original post by Qi Jia
Ahh.. its not really THAT hot and humid I guess, at night it's about 25 degrees Celcius and during the daytime its usually 31-34 Celcius? Also, you'd be in Johor which has its ups and downs I guess.
Ups:It's nearer to Singapore than London is near to France. So that means you can have weekly excursions to one of the finest cities in the world. It's also quite near (2 hours) from Kuala Lumpur, the Capital of Malaysia, so you'd have the opportunity to visit there as well. The food here is really really cheap after conversion. You'd live like a king here ( and definitely gain weight).
Lots of Caucasians love it here actually, my neighbour for example.
Cons: Its the crime city of Malaysia.
But people have gotten out of here alive so :dontknow:

was really tempted til the crime bit. could do with putting on some weight too.
Reply 2762
Original post by Anon1993
Haha where'd you end up applying? And ahh lol, spiders in australia scare me :P

Newcastle,Durham,Leeds,HYMS. am definitely going to get cold and wet. but no big spiders I suppose
Reply 2763
Original post by conorcd
Newcastle,Durham,Leeds,HYMS. am definitely going to get cold and wet. but no big spiders I suppose

Haha yes, although spiders like to keep warm in winter by crawling into peoples houses :tongue:
just saying :tongue:
i was thinking newcastle, but wasn't sure sure about the accent haha
Reply 2764
Original post by Anon1993
Haha yes, although spiders like to keep warm in winter by crawling into peoples houses :tongue:
just saying :tongue:
i was thinking newcastle, but wasn't sure sure about the accent haha

I'm a geordie so am used to it! (tho Cheryl Cole still makes me cringe when she opens her mouth) where have you applied.
Reply 2765
Hey guys :smile: I've got a quick question.
Is it possible to get an interview inviation or even an offer in the week-end? Basically, do med schools' admissions teams continue to assess applicants in the week-ends or not? :smile:
Reply 2766
Original post by Hogwarts
Hey guys :smile: I've got a quick question.
Is it possible to get an interview inviation or even an offer in the week-end? Basically, do med schools' admissions teams continue to assess applicants in the week-ends or not? :smile:

Sorry to quote
I was wondering this as well lol.
My friend got a letter for interview on the weekend, but that was the postman's fault for delivering it to the wrong house in the first place.

I don't think they work on the weekends...maybe i'm mistaken. :smile:
Original post by conorcd
I want to go to newcastle and they are building a med school in Malaysia. thought it would be great to go there but have been told be a prospective medic who lives there that it is too hot and humid for 11 months. Australia though...

You could do your elective in Malaysia. I did.
Reply 2768
Original post by jimbo139
You could do your elective in Malaysia. I did.

was it as good as I think it would be or am I a bit naive here?
Original post by w04andia
Sorry to quote
I was wondering this as well lol.
My friend got a letter for interview on the weekend, but that was the postman's fault for delivering it to the wrong house in the first place.

I don't think they work on the weekends...maybe i'm mistaken. :smile:

Who knows :tongue: Maybe they do, maybe they do not.
Reply 2770
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope

They're a strange, mysterious bunch that admissions crew!
Original post by conorcd
was it as good as I think it would be or am I a bit naive here?

I loved it. I did some travelling in West Malaysia first, then worked in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. Bit of a culture shock though: hospitals in Malaysia are quite under-resourced by UK standards - but good experience, and high standards of medicine being practiced there. The ophthalmology chapter of the Oxford Handbook of Clinical Specialties was rewritten by a guy who works in Sabah.
Reply 2772
Original post by jimbo139
I loved it. I did some travelling in West Malaysia first, then worked in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. Bit of a culture shock though: hospitals in Malaysia are quite under-resourced by UK standards - but good experience, and high standards of medicine being practiced there. The ophthalmology chapter of the Oxford Handbook of Clinical Specialties was rewritten by a guy who works in Sabah.

now I want to go there again. I'm thinking of being an army medic so should really try to go somewhere that will be a challenge ( just need to get in somewhere first!). are you at Newcastle?
Reply 2773
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope

a fairly polite reply. well done!
Original post by conorcd
a fairly polite reply. well done!

Erm, I'm always polite.
Reply 2775
Hey I haven't got an acknowledgement from BSMS and Southampton...anyone else in this situation? Just wondering because most people have been acknowledged!
Original post by India27
Hey I haven't got an acknowledgement from BSMS and Southampton...anyone else in this situation? Just wondering because most people have been acknowledged!

BSMS dont acknowledge.Southampton should have sent you a postcard(thats what my friends told me)!!But bsms is giving out interviews now.Are you an international student??:smile:
Reply 2777
Original post by goodboy4444
BSMS dont acknowledge.Southampton should have sent you a postcard(thats what my friends told me)!!But bsms is giving out interviews now.Are you an international student??:smile:

LOL no not an international student...i haven't been sent a postcard from southampton :s you think i should call them and see whether they've received my application? oh right i didn't know bsms don't acknowledge, thanks for that :smile:
Original post by India27
LOL no not an international student...i haven't been sent a postcard from southampton :s you think i should call them and see whether they've received my application? oh right i didn't know bsms don't acknowledge, thanks for that :smile:

OH..i was checking out the competetion!!!Yeah i think you should call them up.I have called all my unis up like 10 times..half of the time it was regarding my qualifications..but anyway!!:colondollar:

Edit:I am also from india!!
Reply 2779
I haven't recieved a postcard either and I have replied to Southampton for 4 and 5 year courses. But presumably if Southampton appear on your UCAS having an acknowledgement or not shouldn't matter? Correct me if i'm wrong and will need to give them a call :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending