The Student Room Group

2011 Entry- Hopeful Medic Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Turkay
my work experience is 4 months shadowing
2.5 months in rehabilitation center
1 week full time in charity for cancerous people
1 month at medical biochemistry labaratory

extracuyrricular :Basketball camping team , bicommunal camps , debating , theatre club , cycling club

Depending on how well youve written your statement you should be fine
Stop worrying and just wait it out
there are plenty of people in the same boat as you
Reply 2801
I havent heard anything either, getting slightly bored by all this and want something to happen soon.
Reply 2802
Original post by addie
I havent heard anything either, getting slightly bored by all this and want something to happen soon.

where have you applied?
Reply 2803
Original post by ragaa
where have you applied?

Newcastle, Leeds, Leicester and BSMS.

Received acknowledge's from various ones but thats about it.

Dont mean to sound like a sob story but I know my chances are poor because my academics and UkCAt are not all that and in light of the fierce competition it was always going to be a long shot.
Hi
Im in 6th year doing adv chemstry and biology and higher business. I got AAAAC(c in english) in my highers.
Im thinking about taking a gap year and doing A LOT of work exp and a job. Then hopefully i can reapply...but do you think that glasgow or edinburgh would even consider me?
thank you :smile:
Original post by Turkay
Hey guys ? I have UKCAT of 625 A*A*AAA at A level and a B at as level predictions average GCSEs does this mean that they will reject me because of my UKCAT score ?

I applied to Glasgow Abeerden dundee and Keele for medicine

I didnt receive anything except acknowledgements :/ what do you think ? will glasgow directly reject me because of my UKCAT :/:/

Glasgow's cut-off is 655 so think that will be a rejection. Sorry.

Dundee and Aberdeen have percentages for your UKCAT (20% of application for Dundee and 4% for Aberdeen). No idea about Keele.
Original post by sweetchilli

Glasgow's cut-off is 655 so think that will be a rejection. Sorry.

Dundee and Aberdeen have percentages for your UKCAT (20% of application for Dundee and 4% for Aberdeen). No idea about Keele.

Where is it written that the cut off for glasgow is 655?
Original post by caterpillar1988
Where is it written that the cut off for glasgow is 655?

Someone on the Glasgow forum phoned admissions and was told 655. All peeps with interviews so far have 655 or above.

Someone on the Glasgow forum phoned admissions and was told 655. All peeps with interviews so far have 655 or above.

Well unless its quoted on a website, I am trying to remain hopeful and so should every other applicant.
Well unless its quoted on a website, I am trying to remain hopeful and so should every other applicant.

The OP asked specifically about their UKCAT of 625, given that 655 is the lowest anyone has that has been invited for interview, there is no point being unrealistic especially with 30 points lower than 655. I agree people need to be optimistic but there is a point where you have to be realistic. Last year's cut-off for Glasgow was 642.5 so highly likely that it would go up (as with most cut-offs) this year.
The OP asked specifically about their UKCAT of 625, given that 655 is the lowest anyone has that has been invited for interview, there is no point being unrealistic especially with 30 points lower than 655. I agree people need to be optimistic but there is a point where you have to be realistic. Last year's cut-off for Glasgow was 642.5 so highly likely that it would go up (as with most cut-offs) this year.

I'm inclined to agree with you :smile: And they may change the cutoff half way through the process again like last year....luckily I escaped :tongue:
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope

Well I disagree, No news is good news and people have to remain hopefull there is far too many know it alls on this student room and far too much pessimism. I am being realistic and staying positive and not cocky and arrogant like alot of people on this site! :smile:
Reply 2812
Original post by addie
Newcastle, Leeds, Leicester and BSMS.

Received acknowledge's from various ones but thats about it.

Dont mean to sound like a sob story but I know my chances are poor because my academics and UkCAt are not all that and in light of the fierce competition it was always going to be a long shot.

newcastle has 675 cut-off at the moment. You can pick up points for Leeds in other categories even if gcses/ukcat aren't great. don't know about the others. good luck
Well I disagree, No news is good news and people have to remain hopefull there is far too many know it alls on this student room and far too much pessimism. I am being realistic and staying positive and not cocky and arrogant like alot of people on this site! :smile:

No....no news just means that they haven't gotten round to sending your rejection letter.
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
No....no news just means that they haven't gotten round to sending your rejection letter.

Lol...
oh and another 1st year who will no doubt have an appauling bedside manner to match their cheekiness. Shame what they are letting into medicine these days!
Lol...

laughing at the prospect of someone getting a rejection letter? You clearly are entering the wrong profession.
laughing at the prospect of someone getting a rejection letter? You clearly are entering the wrong profession.

It was a laugh at the comment said more than the prospect of a rejection. However, medicine is so hard to get into, sometimes being realistic about ones odds eases the sting of getting rejections.
the comment wasn't funny though, its very childish and immature. I am being realistic, but stupid comments and 'lol'ing at somebodys expense is just ridiculous. I would expect such behaviour from a 16yr old... not double that
the comment wasn't funny though, its very childish and immature. I am being realistic, but stupid comments and 'lol'ing at somebodys expense is just ridiculous. I would expect such behaviour from a 16yr old... not double that

I'll take the double 16 as a compliment, thanks. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending