The Student Room Group

2011 Entry- Hopeful Medic Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by caterpillar1988
the comment wasn't funny though, its very childish and immature. I am being realistic, but stupid comments and 'lol'ing at somebodys expense is just ridiculous. I would expect such behaviour from a 16yr old... not double that

Stop ruining the thread by being so over sensitive, sometimes doctors have to be thick skinned
the comment wasn't funny though, its very childish and immature. I am being realistic, but stupid comments and 'lol'ing at somebodys expense is just ridiculous. I would expect such behaviour from a 16yr old... not double that

Oh and if that is your reaction to the prospect of rejection, then god help you when an actual one pops through the post to you. Grow up and face facts. Rejection happens to all people at some time in their lives, some sooner than others.
aw enough this is getting ridiculous I am the one trying to stay positive here, stop ruining it for me :smile:
oh and another 1st year who will no doubt have an appauling bedside manner to match their cheekiness. Shame what they are letting into medicine these days!

Hint: 1st years aren't doctors :ninja:
Sweetchili, what parasites is your MRes on?
Original post by Hantheman
Sweetchili, what parasites is your MRes on?

Hi Hantheman

My research was on Toxoplasmosis but have studied all the main ones i.e. malaria, leishmania, schistosomes, Onchocerca volvulus (river blindness), all the other helminthic worms e.g flukes, tapeworms etc through varying assignments.

E. :smile:
Original post by sweetchilli
Hi Hantheman

My research was on Toxoplasmosis but have studied all the main ones i.e. malaria, leishmania, schistosomes, Onchocerca volvulus (river blindness), all the other helminthic worms e.g flukes, tapeworms etc through varying assignments.

E. :smile:

Ah ok cool :smile:. I asked because I saw you applied to Glasgow and wondered if you're doing your MRes there. I almost applied for a PhD in Trypanosomiasis up there.

My dissertation was on trypanosomiasis but we covered a bit of leshmania becasue the protozoa both have the protein we cover (alternative oxidase). I'd love to be an infectious disease spec myself.
Original post by Hantheman
Ah ok cool :smile:. I asked because I saw you applied to Glasgow and wondered if you're doing your MRes there. I almost applied for a PhD in Trypanosomiasis up there.

My dissertation was on trypanosomiasis but we covered a bit of leshmania becasue the protozoa both have the protein we cover (alternative oxidase). I'd love to be an infectious disease spec myself.

Soz missed that one out. Have covered that a little too. I'm at Strathclyde. I'm thinking along those lines too or maybe genetics but I need to get in first...lol...:wink:
Reply 2828
i havent receive any single offer for interview yet.

please anybody tell me, should i be seriously worrying now?????

applied for newcastle, aberdeen,bristol and edinburgh
'
my ukcat is 650..guyz pls tell me,,,

do i have any chance, even a tiny bit, for newcastle interview offer with this ukcat score?????
Original post by flavius1

'

do i have any chance, even a tiny bit, for newcastle interview offer with this ukcat score?????

For the 5 year, the initial cut-off for UKCAT was 675 but they have apparently lowered it and I know of someone having been interviewed with 667.5. However, I am expecting a rejection with 660 as I can't see it going down again I'm afraid. Sorry if it is not what you wanted to hear.

I have had one rejection without interview (dundee), one invite from Glasgow and heard nothing from Aberdeen or Newcastle other than acknowledgements so I wouldn't worry at this stage. Think Aberdeen don't start their invite process until January so sit tight and be positive. Chill out and enjoy Xmas and New Year and hopefully, those interview invites will make your New Year. Good :smile:luck!

'

well, regarding aberdeen & edinburgh: the former hasn't given out any interviews to a large proportion of students so i wouldn't be worrying, whilst the latter doesn't give out anything until march (and they don't even interview :wink:)
Original post by spacepirate-James
well, regarding aberdeen & edinburgh: the former hasn't given out any interviews to a large proportion of students so i wouldn't be worrying, whilst the latter doesn't give out anything until march (and they don't even interview :wink:)

Edinburgh interview all graduates but not school leavers. :wink:
Original post by sweetchilli
Edinburgh interview all graduates but not school leavers. :wink:

i didn't realise she was a graduate .... :confused: ... and presumed that since she was 19, she would be a school leaver?
i didn't realise she was a graduate .... :confused: ... and presumed that since she was 19, she would be a school leaver?

Yes, she is an A level student but just wanted to point out that they do interview grads - that's all. Checked her stats after I posted but might be useful info for others who have applied to Edinburgh. :wink:
Reply 2834
hi , can someone please advice me on a matter which has really got me confused, for A2 i want to drop a subject and its between maths and R.S(philosophy and ethics0 and i really enjoy R.S more then maths ive got an A for maths and r.s bu i was wonder if i applied next year with biology chemistry and R.S as opposed to maths chemistry and biology would this put me at any disadvantages ?
Original post by sd004
hi , can someone please advice me on a matter which has really got me confused, for A2 i want to drop a subject and its between maths and R.S(philosophy and ethics0 and i really enjoy R.S more then maths ive got an A for maths and r.s bu i was wonder if i applied next year with biology chemistry and R.S as opposed to maths chemistry and biology would this put me at any disadvantages ?

Nope not a single bit, unless it's oxbridge. I think oxbridge require 3 sciences (or 2sciences + maths).
A guy from my school (last year) with those 3 subjects and he got interviews at Manchester, Liverpool and Sheffield.
Reply 2836

Hi mate

I spoke to you ages ago on TSR concerning where I was going to apply to for medicine, you can look at the previous threads if you dont beleive me, but this was four months ago. Since then, ive not had any replies from the uni, no offers, no rejections, nothing. I wonder if youve had an interview yet or not. Also, is it worth me applying to pharmacy or pharmacology as backup considering my application is so geared towards medicine. KCL ask for ABB, is it worth me applying to them.

'

I think you're UKCAT may be too low for Newcastle :frown: And most likely Edinburgh as well unless you have AMAZING grade - what're they like? Bristol is really hard to get into ... Aberdeen are still giving out interviews atm I got mine yesterday so there's still hope!! Good Luck!
Reply 2838
hi , can someone please advice me on a matter which has really got me confused, for A2 i want to drop a subject and its between maths and R.S(philosophy and ethics) i really enjoy R.S, even more then maths ive got an A for maths and r.s but i was wondering if i applied next year with biology chemistry and R.S as opposed to maths chemistry and biology would this put me at any disadvantages
Reply 2839
Original post by BeekieBoo
I think you're UKCAT may be too low for Newcastle :frown: And most likely Edinburgh as well unless you have AMAZING grade - what're they like? Bristol is really hard to get into ... Aberdeen are still giving out interviews atm I got mine yesterday so there's still hope!! Good Luck!

well if u r talking about AS..i got only 3a and 1b (econs only at as)

my predicted grad is A*(bio)AA

my gsce 10A* and 2A

so hows that? is that considered an amazing grade or just normal?

gosh im so freaking worried..all my friends seem getting at least one of their interview offer

you got your interview from aberdeen already?!! awesome! =)

im so jealous..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending