The Student Room Group

2011 Entry- Hopeful Medic Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
ramzy91
You're more or less garunteed an interview at kings...they took on nearly everyone with more than 9A*s this year regardless of UKCAT for interview..

If academics were below this then they weighted the UKCAT more for the applicants..

That's why I'm taking the risk of applying to two BMAT unis because I think my other two choices are not toooooooooooo optimistic i.e. I stand some chance there. :p:
Reply 981
garlicbreadman
What extra-curricular do all of you people have?

2 years volunteer work at care home. 1 week on Oncology ward (hopefully will do more). Guitar, violin, ballet and classical dance. Oh and Head massages to patients while volunteering at hospital - but thats not clinical.
Would Physiology or Anatomy be an appropriate 5th choice?
MoTheMedic
Would Physiology or Anatomy be an appropriate 5th choice?

Depends if you would be willing to take it if you don't get an offer. I applied for med biochem just so I could have a practise uni interview :p: but your backup choice doesn't really matter
woo my first post yay lol

ok well i got 7A* 1A 2Bs and 1C at gcse (C is in short course ict but i got a* in full course lol weird)

done 4 work experience placements at hospitals
volunteering at nursing home, for NAS in a ''buddying'' project, and doing Duke of Ed. and young enterprise.

in regards to wat to put for 5th choice.. i'm planning to leave it blank (or dentistry just for jokes) bcoz its better to take gap year instead of doing graduate entry (more applicants per place if i remember correctly).

wat about u guys?

btw anyone frm manchester :wink:

GOOD LUCK TO U ALL :smile:
Reply 985
InItToWinItGetIt?

ok well i got 7A* 1A 2Bs and 1C at gcse (C is in short course ict but i got a* in full course lol weird)

volunteering at nursing home, for NAS in a ''buddying'' project, and doing Duke of Ed. and young enterprise.

in regards to wat to put for 5th choice.. i'm planning to leave it blank (or dentistry just for jokes) bcoz its better to take gap year instead of doing graduate entry (more applicants per place if i remember correctly).

wat about u guys?

Good luck but dentistry isn't exactly something you'd put down for "jokes." It's bloody competitive too. :yep: You're profile sounds good though. Keep up the work. :borat:
InItToWinItGetIt?

wat about u guys?

Hi :smile:
Thank you, good luck to you too.
Your work experience sounds good, what are you studying at AS?
I'm not sure about a 5th choice, maybe the standard biomed or perhaps biochem or straight biology.
You can only apply to 4 med/vet med/dentistry courses so you couldn't put dentistry as a joke :p:
It depends on your grades whether it's better or not, if I was to get AAA/AAB, I'd take a gap year and reapply, but if it was lower I'd perhaps try grad entry.
I live near Liverpool, so quite close to Manchester!
Going_To_California
Hi :smile:
Thank you, good luck to you too.
Your work experience sounds good, what are you studying at AS?
I'm not sure about a 5th choice, maybe the standard biomed or perhaps biochem or straight biology.
You can only apply to 4 med/vet med/dentistry courses so you couldn't put dentistry as a joke :p:
It depends on your grades whether it's better or not, if I was to get AAA/AAB, I'd take a gap year and reapply, but if it was lower I'd perhaps try grad entry.
I live near Liverpool, so quite close to Manchester!

Hey thanks.
Studying Bio, Chem, Double Maths and Psychology wbu? I won't take further maths tho.. i'm not into maths that much
i was only joking about dentistry anyway. I hate it. I did 1 week work experience there hated it lol. Don't want to be put out of a job by a toothbrush :yep:
Narik
Good luck but dentistry isn't exactly something you'd put down for "jokes." It's bloody competitive too. :yep: You're profile sounds good though. Keep up the work. :borat:

true say its even harder to get in (stats wise)
thanks for the reassurance :smile:
Narik
I'm looking at Cambridge, Imperial, Kings and Birmingham. The first one's rather hit and miss though...although I think I have a better chance at the other's depending on admissions tests of course and other factors.

You?

wow, you're applying to every uni that i'm thinking of applying to. oh the competition is on :mfing:
InItToWinItGetIt?
Hey thanks.
Studying Bio, Chem, Double Maths and Psychology wbu? I won't take further maths tho.. i'm not into maths that much
i was only joking about dentistry anyway. I hate it. I did 1 week work experience there hated it lol. Don't want to be put out of a job by a toothbrush :yep:

Nice, I'm doing maths, biology, chemistry and physics (and critical thinking but like that's a real subject :p: )
Haha, medicine is obviously better :teehee:
gildartz
wow, you're applying to every uni that i'm thinking of applying to. oh the competition is on :mfing:

Aha, I'm definitely applying to Birmingham, probably King's and perhaps Imperial if I take the BMAT!
The competition is definitely on, and we even have the same GCSEs :p:
Reply 992
gildartz

What competition? :lolwut: I'm going to run alllllll over you. :yes:
Going_To_California
Aha, I'm definitely applying to Birmingham, probably King's and perhaps Imperial if I take the BMAT!
The competition is definitely on, and we even have the same GCSEs :p:

Narik
What competition? :lolwut: I'm going to run alllllll over you. :yes:

don't be too surprised if I take your places :p:

Well, i'm not exactly certain of my unis but i'm planning to apply to oxbridge (cambridge if my unit 2 marks are pretty good), imperial (definitely), birmginham (definitely!) and then BSMS/Kings depending on my UKCAT.
Reply 994
gildartz
don't be too surprised if I take your places :p:

Well, i'm not exactly certain of my unis but i'm planning to apply to oxbridge (cambridge if my unit 2 marks are pretty good), imperial (definitely), birmginham (definitely!) and then BSMS/Kings depending on my UKCAT.

I'm only applying Cambridge if my UMS are high...but I don't think I'll get good enough results in June due to sheer laziness. :facepalm2: Birmingham is a definite for me too, as well as Imperial [like you]. And depending on my UKCAT, it's Kings for me. :yes:
Going_To_California
Nice, I'm doing maths, biology, chemistry and physics (and critical thinking but like that's a real subject :p: )
Haha, medicine is obviously better :teehee:

Haha I dropped physics after a month... it was too hard. GCSE physics is sooo much easier lol.

Have u done any ukcat practice. Managed to look at some ques.. timing is so tight!!
InItToWinItGetIt?
Haha I dropped physics after a month... it was too hard. GCSE physics is sooo much easier lol.

Have u done any ukcat practice. Managed to look at some ques.. timing is so tight!!

i thought about dropping physics, but im havin so much fun now. i think initially its really hard, bt then gets better. i was gettin E's in my test at the start, i thought it was time to say goodbye to medicine!
Reply 997
Hya everyone.
I’m currently doing my a-levels in bio,chem,maths and r.e I was wondering wheatear r.e is a good subjecccccct for medicine and that sould I carry on with it in A2.
For my GCSE’s got 4 A*’s and 6 A’s and im predicted A*AA for -A2 and my wrk exp is good.
Do u lot think I have a good chance of getting in?
In addition, what uni’s would best suit me in London?
Thanks
Reply 998
Do I still have a chance???

My ambition is to be doctor.
For my O levels I got AAAAABCDD
O levels are equilent to GCSE but A* is not awarded!!
Do I still have a chance to which unis can I apply to?

what should I do?
abhijitnair
i thought about dropping physics, but im havin so much fun now. i think initially its really hard, bt then gets better. i was gettin E's in my test at the start, i thought it was time to say goodbye to medicine!

thats what all my friends have been saying. Almost all my mates who want to into medicine have taken physics and kept it! But to be honest, i was going to drop it after A/S anyway so I didnt see any point in carrying on. I think i got 40% in a test which was the final straw lol. Nice to see you engoying it (ur crazy lol) xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending