Exeter

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You do maths I or II in the first year?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 21
Maths I, which is a doddle. II is much, much harder.
Reply 22
The problem that I have is what you mean by high standard of teaching? To me a high standard of teaching would be one that is inspirational but stretching, that gets you really motivated to learn and find out more, explains the problem and demonstrates the solution, interacts with the audience and gives informative feedback in a timely manner, so that you look forward to the next lecture session with relish. So does that accord with you?

What about the lab facilities? Are there modern and up to date instruments? Are the lab sessions well supervised and the demonstrators know what they are doing? I would appreciate a bit more feel on the type of atmosphere for the course. So does everybody get on well with each other and there is a good rapport with the lecturers? What is the typical class size? Finally what is the ratio of males to females? From the prospectus Exeter is impressive and hence so many questions. Hope you understand! :p:
Edit/Delete Message
Reply 23
Ok, my question sounds rediculous compared to the above, but i'm going catered and i'd like to know (because now i realise i have done NO research) how exactly does this work, do you have an allowance, do i have to do a little dance before i am fed? I mean what is the arrangement? thanks

And OMG JK Rowling, what holy earth i will be treading, ha
Reply 24
You have to dance. Its exactly like Oliver Twist.
Reply 25
**EM**
Ok, my question sounds rediculous compared to the above, but i'm going catered and i'd like to know (because now i realise i have done NO research) how exactly does this work, do you have an allowance, do i have to do a little dance before i am fed? I mean what is the arrangement? thanks

And OMG JK Rowling, what holy earth i will be treading, ha

you get given a card that has your passport photo on and you simply show it when you got to meals

at least thats what happened 2 years ago i expect it to be the same
Reply 26
lmcorr
You have to dance. Its exactly like Oliver Twist.

I'll start learning a routine
Reply 27
Do i have to take an iron, where do we wash our clothes? is it costly?
Reply 28
**EM**
Do i have to take an iron, where do we wash our clothes? is it costly?

No, irons are provided, in catered halls they are in the kitchens that are provided for each block, I'm not sure where they are in self-catered but I'm sure someone else can tell you.
In catered halls there are laundry rooms, and they're free for the people who live in that hall. Self-catered have to go to Cornwall House and pay (I think!)
Calon Lan
No, irons are provided, in catered halls they are in the kitchens that are provided for each block, I'm not sure where they are in self-catered but I'm sure someone else can tell you.
In catered halls there are laundry rooms, and they're free for the people who live in that hall. Self-catered have to go to Cornwall House and pay (I think!)

No iron in Lafrowda when I stayed there, only an ironing board!
Reply 30
Hmm maybe there's only an ironing board in catered too then? I saw the board and assumed there was an iron too (as you can tell, I never used it!) Sorry if my info is wrong guys! :blushing:
Reply 31
Hey ill be studying physics there as well! Now here for a rather unusual question that perhaps I should ask elsewhere...

Is there an RAF presence at or near the university? like a University air squadron or some kind of society?
Reply 32
Atal
Hey ill be studying physics there as well! Now here for a rather unusual question that perhaps I should ask elsewhere...

Is there an RAF presence at or near the university? like a University air squadron or some kind of society?

There is a base at Barnstaple, North Devon (had to look it up, it's only small with a few search and rescue helicopters).

Not much of a presence in the city, only related activity I can think of is Exeter OTC (Officer Training Corps), but this may be just for the Army.
Reply 33
Hey what about answers to my questions folks? Are you Exeter students saying by your silence that everything on campus is sweet as grandma's apple pie? That all the lecturers are inspirational, and that all the facilities are top notch, and everybody leaves with a first class honours because the teaching is A*, and that the university as a whole would put oxbridge to shame? I need to know that the advertising blurb is real.:p:
Reply 34
The answers to your questions will of course vary from department to department, Jamjar, and as an arts student I'm not sure I can be of much help!
My experiences were on the whole very variable. I had some lecturers who were fantastic and others who were about as clear as treacle in their explanations; as a joint honours student, I had one department with excellent pastoral care and one with pretty awful support; and as far as personal tutors went, I had some who were very attentive and offered high quality one on one tuition, and others who didn't even reply to emails.
Academically again, things were very variable - when I was invigilating at Oxford's collections (undergraduate beginning-of-term exams) last year, I was able to see the difference between Exeter's style of teaching and Oxford's very clearly, as the Oxford exam questions (I refer to the papers for English Lit) were more like AEA/S-level style (more open-ended, more provocative, more interdisciplinary) while Exeter's exam questions were more like A-level style (only really aimed at the texts you'd actually studied rather than encouraging you to go above and beyond; quite conventional questions). If the lecturers in the English department simply didn't agree with you, you didn't get the marks (on the whole - of course there were exceptions), whereas I found that the Classics department were more challenging and open-minded in their approach.

So you see - different people will all have had different experiences with various departments.
Reply 35
Jamjar
The problem that I have is what you mean by high standard of teaching? To me a high standard of teaching would be one that is inspirational but stretching, that gets you really motivated to learn and find out more, explains the problem and demonstrates the solution, interacts with the audience and gives informative feedback in a timely manner, so that you look forward to the next lecture session with relish. So does that accord with you?

What about the lab facilities? Are there modern and up to date instruments? Are the lab sessions well supervised and the demonstrators know what they are doing? I would appreciate a bit more feel on the type of atmosphere for the course. So does everybody get on well with each other and there is a good rapport with the lecturers? What is the typical class size? Finally what is the ratio of males to females?

The teaching within Physics is generally very good. Certain lecturers are better than others, but you'll find this anywhere. In each year you will be taught by passionate people who are more than capable of captivating you and keeping your attention. Other lecturers may convey the necessary information but don't have that dynamic edge- it does vary.

Lab facilities are good, the first and second year lab has had a recent refit and contains lots of new equipment. Lab sessions are well supervised and there are always demonstrators & lecturers on hand to assist.

The department is good from a social point of view. As there are around 90 students in each year, its quite small and hence you tend to know most people on your course before too long. One of the best memories for me was having mulled wine, mince pies and other foodstuffs in third year labs with other students and lecturers before breaking up for christmas, they really went the extra mile. Same thing happened before the end of summer term too, but with pizza and beer! I doubt there's many that can say they've had that in their physics labs.

There are more males than females, but in recent years more and more girls have been coming onto the course. Makes me want to be a first year again!
Reply 36
Hey cheers for answering my question, and you talk of the labs is making me all the more excited :biggrin:

One more unusual question... is there a Nandos anywhere to be found in Exeter? xD I love that place
Reply 37
Atal
Hey cheers for answering my question, and you talk of the labs is making me all the more excited :biggrin:

One more unusual question... is there a Nandos anywhere to be found in Exeter? xD I love that place

yeah there is a nandos in the middle of princesshay
Reply 38
Well thanks for the information and observations, and I do appreciate it. Its nice to know that the teaching staff do get on with the students.:yep:
Reply 39
I just got accepted on the MPhys physics course! Why did you choose to do the BSc rather than the MPhys?

I have met the staff and they seem awesome I went on the PUPC thingy last year and yeah that was awesome too.

So is it as amazing as it seems?

Sorry I will read the rest of your replies now so as to avoid repeating questions, thanks for making a thread though!

Sorry I see you have answered pretty much all my questions already, who was your favourite lecturer?

Latest

Trending

Trending