The Student Room Group

How does your university work out your degree classification?

My university states that in order to get a 1st class degree a student needs a minimum of 60% in the 2nd year and a minimum of 70% in the 3rd year.

I'm not sure I like this way of working out the degree classification. I gained over 70% in my 2nd year and I wish I only required grades in the high 60s for my 3rd year to achieve an overall first. Oh well.

How about your university, how does your university work out your degree classification?
Reply 1
At UG, pretty fairly in my opinion (although this varies from course to course). No percentages, but a score of 1-22, with 18 and above being a first/A. First two years don't count to final grade, but a C average is required with Bs in your second year subject that you want to take to honours. If you have less than this but more than a D average, you have to take a non-honours degree. 3rd and 4th year are honours (since its the Scottish system), weighted equally, and a total average of above 18 is required to get a first- this could be 17 in third year and 19 in 4th. Anyone that gets between 17.1 and 17.9 can be considered for a first, the thinking behind this is to not disadvantage one piece of bad work if lots have been above 18. That said, not many get pulled up, and it's usually regarded as a university with a pretty low percentage of firsts and a high proportion (over one in three) not getting at least a 2:1- which they argue is proof that they've not indugled in grade inflation.

At Postgrad, they do it on the 70% system, and to get a distinction I cant have below 65 in anything.
Reply 2
Surely_unsure
My university states that in order to get a 1st class degree a student needs a minimum of 60% in the 2nd year and a minimum of 70% in the 3rd year.

I'm not sure I like this way of working out the degree classification. I gained over 70% in my 2nd year and I wish I only required grades in the high 60s for my 3rd year to achieve an overall first. Oh well.

How about your university, how does your university work out your degree classification?

Unusual system. They are different for each university and each department however the first class boundary is 70% overall in most places unless it is the OU.

For my degree the final mark is split 30% in year two and 70% in year 3 of the final classification. However each year has 120 credits and some modules can be 10, 20 or 30 credits. Hence each module mark is weighted to produce a final average. It does not matter what you get in year 2 so far as you can make up the lost marks in year 3.
For my course, we were marked on a scale between 20 and 90. A 68.5 average got you a First, with third year counting double. But the mean average was the only method by which a student could get a First (i.e. there was no consideration of median).

Latest

Trending

Trending