The Student Room Group

Is going to mid tier universities bad?

Hi guys recently I've been really questioning my life decisions. right now I could go to decent universities top 30-50 and I just don't know if that is even enough for my future career. I want to do computer science. I feel like going to top universities is the main thing and if I don't I'll get a rubbish job. If anyone is interested, I am looking to go to UEA, Liverpool, Chester, Bournemouth, Essex, Aberystwyth.

Scroll to see replies

Hey, absolutely not!

What your employers will care about is how well you do in your degree and about any experience you might have! They couldn't care any less where you went to. If you get a 2:1 or above, and manage to go to a university that offers a placement year (or manage to do your own work experience), you will have what you need to do whatever you want. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
Hey, absolutely not!

What your employers will care about is how well you do in your degree and about any experience you might have! They couldn't care any less where you went to. If you get a 2:1 or above, and manage to go to a university that offers a placement year (or manage to do your own work experience), you will have what you need to do whatever you want. Good luck :smile:

That's exactly what Bournemouth offers, they do a 5-year course and anything I could've wanted, foundation year, the actual course and a placement year. thank you for reassuring me, now I know not to get taunted by stupid ideals society has. All there's left to do is visit Bournemouth open day!
I agree with Scotland Yard.
Reply 4
You could also build your extra curricular cv by joining or even starting a computer society at uni. Employers don't just want technical knowledge, they will also be interested in how you work as part of a team, show leadership and adapt to problem solving. A university that invests in its students by helping them develop their work skills and versatility is worth looking for, and you will find those across the "tiers". Most importantly you will get the best out of of your uni experience if you are happy so it's important to visit unis and see if they feel right for you. It's no good going to what seems like a "top" uni if you're miserable too far from home, or strapped for cash because accommodation is so expensive.
Reply 5
Original post by Artjen
You could also build your extra curricular cv by joining or even starting a computer society at uni. Employers don't just want technical knowledge, they will also be interested in how you work as part of a team, show leadership and adapt to problem solving. A university that invests in its students by helping them develop their work skills and versatility is worth looking for, and you will find those across the "tiers". Most importantly you will get the best out of of your uni experience if you are happy so it's important to visit unis and see if they feel right for you. It's no good going to what seems like a "top" uni if you're miserable too far from home, or strapped for cash because accommodation is so expensive.

mmm I see, this is very true. I think visiting unis is important, but they are soooo far
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Clivierx
Hi guys recently I've been really questioning my life decisions. right now I could go to decent universities top 30-50 and I just don't know if that is even enough for my future career. I want to do computer science. I feel like going to top universities is the main thing and if I don't I'll get a rubbish job. If anyone is interested, I am looking to go to UEA, Liverpool, Chester, Bournemouth, Essex, Aberystwyth.

Hey @Clivierx,

Just to echo what others have said, I believe where you go in terms of ranking is less of an important factor in employment. Employers like to look at skills, experience and sometimes academic achievement depending on your job.

University is not just about where the university lies in the rankings, it is also about the location, social life and your course. There are so many factors such as the ones mentioned which contribute to your university life. After all, you will be spending the next 3-4 years there so you want to enjoy it for the most part! Of course, you cant predict exactly how much you will enjoy the universities but I would recommend attending open days and ask yourself if you can see yourself living and studying in those universities.

For reassurance and inspiration, if the universities have alumni stories/blogs/videos of students who studied computer science I would recommend watching them. You may be able to just google it e.g. "University name, computer science alumni stories" and you may get results. If this does not work you may also try their social media or YouTube.

I hope this helps! :smile:

Alia
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 7
Original post by University of Kent
Hey @Clivierx,

Just to echo what others have said, I believe where you go in terms of ranking is less of an important factor in employment. Employers like to look at skills, experience and sometimes academic achievement depending on your job.

University is not just about where the university lies in the rankings, it is also about the location, social life and your course. There are so many factors such as the ones mentioned which contribute to your university life. After all, you will be spending the next 3-4 years there so you want to enjoy it for the most part! Of course, you cant predict exactly how much you will enjoy the universities but I would recommend attending open days and ask yourself if you can see yourself living and studying in those universities.

For reassurance and inspiration, if the universities have alumni stories/blogs/videos of students who studied computer science I would recommend watching them. You may be able to just google it e.g. "University name, computer science alumni stories" and you may get results. If this does not work you may also try their social media or YouTube.

I hope this helps! :smile:

Alia

Thank you :smile:
That's exactly what Bournemouth offers, they do a 5-year course and anything I could've wanted, foundation year, the actual course and a placement year. thank you for reassuring me, now I know not to get taunted by stupid ideals society has. All there's left to do is visit Bournemouth open day!

Indeed! Open days are a great way to get to know universities :smile:

In answer to your later post of universities being so far... yeah, they are, but you shouldn't let that discourage you! You can try to rope in your parents to take you there if you want, or make a day trip out of it. Travelling by train is also usually pretty convenient, if a bit expensive though, although that can be mitigated by buying a 16-25 railcard (or better yet a 16-17 railcard if you're still eligible) which will give you discounted train tickets. It should pay for itself with a few trips :smile:
Reply 9
Indeed! Open days are a great way to get to know universities :smile:

In answer to your later post of universities being so far... yeah, they are, but you shouldn't let that discourage you! You can try to rope in your parents to take you there if you want, or make a day trip out of it. Travelling by train is also usually pretty convenient, if a bit expensive though, although that can be mitigated by buying a 16-25 railcard (or better yet a 16-17 railcard if you're still eligible) which will give you discounted train tickets. It should pay for itself with a few trips :smile:

Is it totally fine if I go by myself then? I thought you had to go with your parents. Also, what if I get lost lol because I've never used the train before let alone non london buses
Is it totally fine if I go by myself then? I thought you had to go with your parents. Also, what if I get lost lol because I've never used the train before let alone non london buses

It's fine to go by yourself if you want to :smile: Trains are easy to take, just write down somewhere the time of your train and check the information board at the stations to check where you need to go, and if in doubt, ask the station staff, they'll be happy to help. Remember to buy your tickets beforehand (best to buy it from the train operator themselves - LNER, SWR, Chilterns...). Taking a bus outside of London is really simple. Your Oyster card won't work but you'll most likely be able to pay with your bank card. In Bournemouth, you literally just tap in and out with your bank card from the bus like you would with your Oyster card, in some other places you might need to purchase a ticket to a specific stop from the bus driver - really anywhere you go you just ask the bus driver and he'll tell you!
Reply 11
It's fine to go by yourself if you want to :smile: Trains are easy to take, just write down somewhere the time of your train and check the information board at the stations to check where you need to go, and if in doubt, ask the station staff, they'll be happy to help. Remember to buy your tickets beforehand (best to buy it from the train operator themselves - LNER, SWR, Chilterns...). Taking a bus outside of London is really simple. Your Oyster card won't work but you'll most likely be able to pay with your bank card. In Bournemouth, you literally just tap in and out with your bank card from the bus like you would with your Oyster card, in some other places you might need to purchase a ticket to a specific stop from the bus driver - really anywhere you go you just ask the bus driver and he'll tell you!

ahhh ok, I see! How early should I come before my train? Is it like in the airport where you have to come in like 2 hours early?
ahhh ok, I see! How early should I come before my train? Is it like in the airport where you have to come in like 2 hours early?

It's nothing like the airport, you could show up five minutes before but you might miss the train if you don't know where to go! I usually aim to arrive 15-20 minutes before the train leaves to allow for any delays in getting to the station and finding the right platform to go. But listen, you're unduly worrying about this, it's very simple to catch a train, you just have to go ahead and do it and see how easy it is :smile:
This might sound bit controversial but in 99% of cases it does not matter what uni you go to. Unless you plan to do so weird niche research at Cambridge then ranking of the school is really irrelevant
Reply 14
It's nothing like the airport, you could show up five minutes before but you might miss the train if you don't know where to go! I usually aim to arrive 15-20 minutes before the train leaves to allow for any delays in getting to the station and finding the right platform to go. But listen, you're unduly worrying about this, it's very simple to catch a train, you just have to go ahead and do it and see how easy it is :smile:

thank you, you're so kind, I love this community :smile:

Hi Cliverx!

I’m Pip, a 3rd year TV Production student. I know a lot of people judge unis on if they’re Russel group etc, but don’t forget to go to the Uni YOU feel is best for your course and needs. There are so many things that factor into what makes a good Uni for you. For me, it was facilities! I needed good filming equipment and resources to support my studies and Bournemouth had the best building for their Media department. Ultimately I think employers will look at you, your skills and what you’ve done with your course, not necessarily what Uni you did it at.

Hope this helped! Have you visited any of your options?

-Pip
Reply 16
Original post by BU Student Rep
Hi Cliverx!

I’m Pip, a 3rd year TV Production student. I know a lot of people judge unis on if they’re Russel group etc, but don’t forget to go to the Uni YOU feel is best for your course and needs. There are so many things that factor into what makes a good Uni for you. For me, it was facilities! I needed good filming equipment and resources to support my studies and Bournemouth had the best building for their Media department. Ultimately I think employers will look at you, your skills and what you’ve done with your course, not necessarily what Uni you did it at.

Hope this helped! Have you visited any of your options?

-Pip

Hi no I han't visited any, will plan to but it's super expensive to sadly.

Hi @Clivierx,

Unfortunately it is becoming more and more expensive to just visit university sadly. Some things you can do to make the most out of your money include prioritising the universities you want to visit or only visiting your top 2 or 3. You can view other universities through virtual tours (using their website), taking a look at their social media and I would also say its worth watching YouTube videos of the area/the campus.

If you are visiting a university that is quite far away, consider making a little weekend out of it (staying in the area for a night or two with friends or family). If you have friends who want to visit the same university or one in the same area, if you or your friend drive you could consider sharing a ride and just paying for petrol.

If you are able to go in person, make the most of it and go prepared I would say. Prepare some questions for staff about the course, acoommodation etc. I would also recommend writing down what you liked or didn't like on your way home or the day after so you don't have to rely on memory.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Alia

Hi Cliverx,

I believe some Universities do online open days, which might be a good option if you’re finding it expensive to visit in person 🙂

I hope that helps!

Pip

Hey Clivierx

I'm Will, a BU Media Production Student currently undertaking my placement year at The Walt Disney Company.
I'm sure the others responding on this post have summed it up perfectly. From my experience, when looking at university, I wasn't looking at the overall University rankings, I was looking at the universities that: 1. I would feel comfortable at. 2. The course and was it what I wanted to do. 3. the extracurricular opportunities (Pip and I are both part of Nerve Radio our Uni Radio Station, and Pip is Station Co-Manager!!).
Also placements were important for me as I wanted to get all the experience i could! And I'm now a Disney+ Originals Production Management Intern at Disney. And this is a pinch me moment.

The moral of the story is, go where you think you'll have the best time and get the most out of the university experience.
I hope this helps :smile:
Will

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending