The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Socrates
It may well be a factor, though I've never thought it from that angle (perhaps because I'm not a woman!)

That isn't the purpose of the garment, and anyone who does it wear it for that reason, imho, is missing the point.

Unfortunately 'missing the point' is easily done when putting religion into practice. C'est la vie.
Reply 21
ponjavic
That's quite a sensible thought.

Oh and OP, if I see a woman in a burkha, I usually shudder and think '****, she must be fugly' and leave as quickly as possible from the scene. Does it's job, I guess if my tiddly-wink isn't erectified.
Reply 22
ADREAM
Oh and OP, if I see a woman in a burkha, I usually shudder and think '****, she must be fugly' and leave as quickly as possible from the scene. Does it's job, I guess if my tiddly-wink isn't erectified.

I do more of a 'Oh you're so hot I can't even contain myself it's good you're wearing that dress? Not even close :p: '
Still it's kind of bad you leave as quickly as possible from the scene =D
ADREAM

I would rather wear a burka and have men speculate that I'm ugly than being automatically sexualised and you have your 'tiddly-wink erectified'.
Reply 24
ADREAM
Let 'em wear what they want. I don't really give a **** if someone's in a nikey hoodie and I don't quite give a **** if a woman decides to wear some cloth over her head.

exactly end of let women wear what they want a 3' piece of cloth doesnt stop the earth stand still
Reply 25
missygeorgia
I would rather wear a burka and have men speculate that I'm ugly than being automatically sexualised and you have your 'tiddly-wink erectified'.

Oh.

You're one of those annoying feminists.

Well, do go around London in your burkha ma'am. :smile:
Reply 26
ponjavic
I do more of a 'Oh you're so hot I can't even contain myself it's good you're wearing that dress? Not even close :p: '
Still it's kind of bad you leave as quickly as possible from the scene =D

:awesome:

It's not quite me. I just follow my tiddly-wink. :yes:
ADREAM
Oh.

You're one of those annoying feminists.

Well, do go around London in your burkha ma'am. :smile:

Right, an annoying feminist. Because God forbid somebody raises the issue of sexism. Yeah, those annoying egalitarians, disgusting really.
ponjavic
I am not well versed with the Koran but I have come to believe that the point of the burka is to spare men from temptation (to put it far from eloquently). In my instance this completely failed.

The purpose of it is so that women are recognised as being modest women.

You may have considered the possibility that one of them was attractive - but there is pretty much no doubt that had you attempted to make a move on her, she would have said no. So I suppose it prevents men from even thinking they have a chance to score with them.

The purpose of it is to give women diginity in the fact that they aren't advertising what they aren't offering - you can tell just by looking at them that they aren't slutty or 'easy', whereas this wouldn't be true of a woman who walks down Broad Street (A street in Birmingham with lots of nightclubs) in the middle of a cold winters night, wearing almost nothing but high heels, a skirt which is a couple of inches long, and a bra, clutching herself and shivering to keep warm, as I have seen so often.

The purpose of covering up is not simply because "men are all pervs".
Reply 29
missygeorgia
Right, an annoying feminist. Because God forbid somebody raises the issue of sexism. Yeah, those annoying egalitarians, disgusting really.

Oh.

You're also a social recluse.

G'night, ma'am. :smile:
Reply 30
I thought that the Qur'an didnt actually mention anything about women having to cover their head & face?

Its another of those 'interpretations'
edge
I thought that the Qur'an didnt actually mention anything about women having to cover their head & face?

Its another of those 'interpretations'

Well no it doesn't. But then Muslim women aren't necessarily going to cover the bare minimum, and nothing more.

In the UK, it is culturally unacceptable for a woman to display her breasts or her downstairs region in public. But even still, a woman wearing a skimpy top and tiny skirt is not going to be considered as modest as a woman who wears jeans and a jumper.

The Qur'an simply asks women to cover their entire body "except that which is ordinarily apparent" i.e. don't dress in a manner which is particularly revealing. Although it could be argued that covering the head is necessary, because the Qur'an does specifically mention "headscarves".

But in any case, I suppose many women may cover up more than they need to, out of extra-modesty, or for cultural reasons.
Seriously though, who cares?

Do you even realise how many muslim women wear the burka? Probably less than 0.01% of the UK population. Most muslim women choose not to. And the fact is: they CHOOSE to wear, yes CHOOSE, they are not oppressed, they wear it out of CHOICE. So that rules out the oppression argument.

The other thing is people complaining about how it affects others around them and is a barrier in communication. I repeat: LESS THAN 0.01% OF THE POPULATION. WHO CARES?

And finally, you saying that it's ineffective since you were perving over one of the women anyway, well I hope you can understand the irony in that statement!
ADREAM
Oh.

You're also a social recluse.

Er. social recluse? You got that from where?

In all seriousness, I find it disturbing that I can't bring up the issue of sexism without being branded an 'annoying feminist', particularly on a student website. Says a lot about how seriously sexism is taken. imo.
Reply 34
it must severely restrict their life though

cant get a bus pass :biggrin:
Stanley90

And finally, you saying that it's ineffective since you were perving over one of the women anyway, well I hope you can understand the irony in that statement!

Great point.
edge
it must severely restrict their life though

cant get a bus pass :biggrin:

really?
Reply 37
missygeorgia
really?

hmm, you never seen a bus pass?
has your picture on it, so they can tell its your pass

oh, & most uni's have photo id cards nowadays
missygeorgia
really?

Hell no.. the only problem I've heard of is with passports but even in these cases they remove the niqab from their face and take the passport photo but when their passport is requested they can ask for a female to look at theirs, such is the greatness of our country!
Reply 39
maybe its now time to point out the difference between a niqaab ( face veil) and burkha (general lose covering, depending on the style some cover the face and others doint), the latter being a word used more commonly in the subcontinent than the arab world. I mean every forum needs a smarty pants :wink: Im surprised it hasnt come yet

Latest

Trending

Trending