Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Failed to open COM 1 (Using Serial to USB connector) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Halo

I bought a Serial to USB connector for a device that i want to connect with my laptop since my laptop does not have those Serial port that usually came with Desktops. So when i insert the cable and installed the driver, the program that i want the device to connect it with says :"Failed to open COM 1".

Well i don't know what to do now. The driver is installed, the LED indicator that came with the device is blinking (for a while) but the program says otherwise.

Help...

ReputationRep:
    Try the other USB ports?

ReputationRep:
    ^^
    i don't think thats the problem. the usb port is fine.

owh btw, i'm running Vista.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure COM1 relates to that particular USB port?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Are you sure COM1 relates to that particular USB port?

Ok. Just now i checked under Device Manager -> Ports (COM & LPT) and it states there: Prolific USB-to-Serial COMM Port (COM27)

So..do i need to change anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newman24x)
    Ok. Just now i checked under Device Manager -> Ports (COM & LPT) and it states there: Prolific USB-to-Serial COMM Port (COM27)

So..do i need to change anything?
    If it lists a COM Port 27, try that :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    If it lists a COM Port 27, try that :p:
    how lol

ReputationRep:
    Open up hyperterminal and in the "Connect Using" drow down menu - see if it says COM27

ReputationRep:
    I think i figured it out already.
    Go to Device Property -> Your Serial to USB name, double clicking it, - Port Settings -> Advanced ->Select you port.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: August 6, 2009
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?
Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.