The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No. It has no scientific basis what-so-ever, Horoscopes are essentially a popular form of cold-reading.
lol, no
Reply 3
I said no, but actually I think there's a small chance that there could be a vague correlation between personality traits and the time of year you were born in. When you're a baby, you change and develop pretty quickly. I think quite a lot of your personality can be formed in your first couple of years. I don't think it's completely stupid to think the weather and temperature at various points in your development could have a very tiny effect on it.
Reply 4
I find it hard to believe that roughly 1/12 of the world's population share similar outcomes in life just based on when they were born.
No. Of course not.
Reply 6
I am highly sceptical of things like astrology, as a typical Leo.
Horoscopes can easily be interpreted to fit anyone's life. But I still read them. :p:
Reply 8
Unanimous verdict so far, interestingly.
I'm a sagittarius and I find a lot of things which I can connect to in my horoscope.

Not only that, but I can find a fair few things that seem to ring true in Leo, Pisces, Aries, Virgo, Capricorn, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Scorpio, Libra and Aquarius horoscopes too.

I really don't know what kind of rubbish people who compile horoscopes go off, but if they can get them published, then they're making a nice living off writing some utter rubbish, and all the best to them! If only i could do the same.
Reply 10
Overground
Unanimous verdict so far, interestingly.

I voted yes just to spite you. Unanimous results are for North Korea.
Reply 11
Nope.
no, I don't believe it
Reply 13
its a load of rubbish!
Reply 14
who voted yes?
It is clearly bull. Otherwise everyone born around the same time of the year has the same life line.
Let me tell you I know a guy who has the same birthday as me, we have not had the same luck at the same time.
Reply 16
no, they're always very general like near your birthday month they'll write something like 'you are likely to be the centre of attention in a social gathering soon' (okay, maybe not that blates but something quite vague and general nonetheless).. i sincerely hope someone starts to write stuff like 'you will get sacked today' / 'you will be b*tchslapped soon'.. that would make me laugh.
Reply 17
Psyk
I said no, but actually I think there's a small chance that there could be a vague correlation between personality traits and the time of year you were born in. When you're a baby, you change and develop pretty quickly. I think quite a lot of your personality can be formed in your first couple of years. I don't think it's completely stupid to think the weather and temperature at various points in your development could have a very tiny effect on it.

You're completely right. It's not.

For example, it has been found statistically that people born in summer/spring are more extrovert, more independent, and less clingy than their autumn/winter-born counterparts. Why? Well, absolutely nothing to do with astrology, as you would have guessed. Rather, it has been explained by the fact that in colder temperatures, winter-born children have a tendency to cling to their mother for warmth more often, and the mother plays her part too, paying more attention to her babies temperature during the winter months, etc. And the first few developmental months are vital and your future personality is indeed extremely sensitive to whatever happens in these stages.

There's also been a statistically noted phenomenon of the self-fulfilling prophecy. People actually mould their personalities to fit the characteristics of whatever star sign they are born under, because they think they SHOULD have these characteristics, therefore, they strive for them.

The time of year that you are born most definitely has an effect on your personality, and lots of other psychological effects come in to play aswell.

But as for any mystical determination from the planets and stars... no, it's just not true.

Richard Wiseman deals with the subject in the first chapter of his book 'Quirkology'. 'What your birthdate really says about you...' I think the chapter is called. Very interesting.
It has a basis in truth, in that the predictions are so unbelievably vague there is no way they could not be true in some way.
paddyman4
It has a basis in truth, in that the predictions are so unbelievably vague there is no way they could not be true in some way.

Well that's akin to calling myself a prophet by saying "Someday in the future life on Earth will cease to exist"

Latest

Trending

Trending