The Student Room Group

People who've done law work experience?

Basically i'm doing work at a law firm now, a weeks work experience, today for eight hours i was in a room on my own sitting there putting letters into envelopes, for eight hours with basically no-one speaking to me other than "Here's another letter mate"

Please tell me it will get better?

Scroll to see replies

I did the same thing this time last summer, dullest week of my life. On one day I got to do some photocopying and was probably the highlight!
Reply 2
Troubled_Student
Basically i'm doing work at a law firm now, a weeks work experience, today for eight hours i was in a room on my own sitting there putting letters into envelopes, for eight hours with basically no-one speaking to me other than "Here's another letter mate"

Please tell me it will get better?

It's pretty rubbish when you go to a local firm and you're still at school - they tend not to have the resources to give you any hands on responsibility and so unfortunately a lot of it is admin work and making lots of coffee. Stick at it though; it looks good on your personal statement and is pretty much a pre-requisite when you come to apply for your own training contracts or pupilages (assuming that's the route you go down). In the future you should probably try bigger organisations like the CPS or Court Services. :smile:
Reply 3
One of the work experiences I went on with a law firm I got to sit in on their meetings and they took me to courts.

Sounds like you're getting a bit of a rough deal:s-smilie:
Reply 4
That's pretty much one of the reasons why work experience for law isn't essential when applying for law because what you're doing now is not relevant to a law degree and it doesn't really give you a good insight to what working for a firm really is.

Even with that, don't be disheartened as you're only there for a week.
Reply 5
ask if it is possible to go with someone to court one day.
Reply 6
Mr_Deeds
It's pretty rubbish when you go to a local firm and you're still at school - they tend not to have the resources to give you any hands on responsibility and so unfortunately a lot of it is admin work and making lots of coffee. Stick at it though; it looks good on your personal statement and is pretty much a pre-requisite when you come to apply for your own training contracts or pupilages (assuming that's the route you go down). In the future you should probably try bigger organisations like the CPS or Court Services. :smile:

How is it a pre-requisite for training contracts or pupillages?
when i did my work experience at a law firm last year after my GCSE's it was actually really good. The first day was pretty boring but they had different stuff for me to do every day. I went to the Old Bailey, got to work in the library, helped in the office of a legal executive and i was even given some mock little research tasks to do. I guess I was lucky that i had a family friend who was a solicitor in the firm. If you still wanna get some interesting work experience i could pm you thr name of the firm i did mine at.
Reply 8
sleekchic

You need to be able to show that you have had at least some exposure to the kind of environment and work of a lawyer. I haven't applied for pupilages but as far as the TC is concerned, most firms dedicate quite a big section of their application forms to finding out about any law-related work experience which has been undertaken - a lot of firms often develop this particulat point at interview. They get hundreds of applicants per place and the interviewee who can say "I liked "x" about working for a law firm" comes over a lot better both on paper and in person that somebody who says "to be honest, I haven't got a clue what a lawyer does." Note the "pretty much" though; there are of course other ways to demonstarte knowledge of the legal industry. :smile:
I did my Law work experience in a Crown Court so I sat in on trials from 9-5 :awesome:. Much more interesting tbh. Though I did end up declining my place for Law at uni and chosing a completely different degree so I don't think I would have been interested in a Law Firm at all.
I went to the Magistrates' Court- a lot more interesting.
Mr_Deeds
You need to be able to show that you have had at least some exposure to the kind of environment and work of a lawyer.

I was talking to a trainee at A&O last week, who hadn't secured a Vac Scheme beforehand. Its beneficial, and well-advised, but doesn't make things impossible.
sleekchic

Because you need some kind of work experience on your application to be seriosuly considered. They want to see you have relevant experience before offering to cover your LPC/BVC fees (which most places do) and then given you a job to train you before qualification.

Remember they are investing in you and want to make sure its a good invest and that you have seriously considered the career, some people think its an easy job when in fact that is far from the truth so they want to know you have weighed up the responsibilities of the career and seen some aspect of what is involved.

I knew someone who got a first class degree, didn't get involved in her law society events and organisation's (e.g. law clinic, mooting etc), she also had no work experience and didn't get a single offer for a training contract and couldn't understand why, it's not just academic ability they are after.

To the OP, I had a day's work experience at a local law firm with an old solicitor and she had my doing admin but the younger solicitor spoke to her and I am going back for a week next week and a week in September when they go to court with two cases.
Mr_Deeds
You need to be able to show that you have had at least some exposure to the kind of environment and work of a lawyer. I haven't applied for pupilages but as far as the TC is concerned, most firms dedicate quite a big section of their application forms to finding out about any law-related work experience which has been undertaken - a lot of firms often develop this particulat point at interview. They get hundreds of applicants per place and the interviewee who can say "I liked "x" about working for a law firm" comes over a lot better both on paper and in person that somebody who says "to be honest, I haven't got a clue what a lawyer does." Note the "pretty much" though; there are of course other ways to demonstarte knowledge of the legal industry. :smile:

Surely law-rellated work experience such as mini pupillages and vacation schemes would be preferred over work experience done between the ages of 16-18 with hardly any exposure to law.

Making tea and photocopying is nothing compared to mini pupillages and vacation schemes so how can work experience like the aforementioned be considered a pre-requisite?
Reply 14
*Star*Guitar*
I was talking to a trainee at A&O last week, who hadn't secured a Vac Scheme beforehand. Its beneficial, and well-advised, but doesn't make things impossible.

Completely true and I'd be the first to admit it. A vacation scheme is considerably more difficult to get than self-organised work experience at a local firm though - and I'd be very surprised if your contact didn't have any of this. When I secured my vacation scheme at Lovells one of the reasons was because I had an extensive record of work experience which I talked in detail about at interview and was able to relate to the inevitable questions such as "why do you want to be a lawyer?"
Reply 15
sleekchic
Surely law-rellated work experience such as mini pupillages and vacation schemes would be preferred over work experience done between the ages of 16-18 with hardly any exposure to law.

Making tea and photocopying is nothing compared to mini pupillages and vacation schemes so how can work experience like the aforementioned be considered a pre-requisite?

You've completely missed the point of work experience. You don't get a weeks placement at a high street firm expecting to come out having learnt the A-Z of Family Law.

Work experience at 15, 16 and 17 shows commitment and enthusiasm for the legal profession; it's a talking point at interviews when you do apply for the big firms and is one of the criteria which law firms and chambers look for before they give their candidates a vacation scheme or mini pupilage. The one comes before the other - it's not a substitute!
Mr_Deeds

Yeah, literally i don't mind doing admin for say a day or two but i can't handle sitting in a room on my lonesome putting what must be at least 200 letters into envelopes per day, it's just the fact it is boring, lonely and basically thats not what i applied for the work placement to do.

However i did get to go to WH Smith's to get reams of paper with one Solicitor and he was pretty sound, said he had a kidnapping case or something that he might be able to get me to help him on - but the boss might not let me :frown: I haven't made one coffee or tea yet, which i thought i would but honestly this letter thing is a lot lot worse - making ten cups of coffee or folding and putting like 300 letters into envelopes i know what i'd choose!

They said it was a bit hectic though, as the woman who deals with Work Experience or something weren't in, so they didn't really know what to do with me :smile:

I pray it gets better...
Mr_Deeds
Completely true and I'd be the first to admit it. A vacation scheme is considerably more difficult to get than self-organised work experience at a local firm though - and I'd be very surprised if your contact didn't have any of this. When I secured my vacation scheme at Lovells one of the reasons was because I had an extensive record of work experience which I talked in detail about at interview and was able to relate to the inevitable questions such as "why do you want to be a lawyer?"

You're most probably right, he would have got some other work experience. I didn't secure a vac scheme this summer, but I've worked at an employment law firm part and full time for two years now, and this contact said it sounds like I've done more work than him in his TC employment seat! If it wasn't for this, I would be concerned about answering those questions myself.
Tha_Black_Shinobi
when i did my work experience at a law firm last year after my GCSE's it was actually really good. The first day was pretty boring but they had different stuff for me to do every day. I went to the Old Bailey, got to work in the library, helped in the office of a legal executive and i was even given some mock little research tasks to do. I guess I was lucky that i had a family friend who was a solicitor in the firm. If you still wanna get some interesting work experience i could pm you thr name of the firm i did mine at.

Nah it's fine thanks, i'm guessing you did it London whereas i'm in Leicester so it would be pretty pointless, but thanks anyway.
Reply 19
*Star*Guitar*
You're most probably right, he would have got some other work experience. I didn't secure a vac scheme this summer, but I've worked at an employment law firm part and full time for two years now, and this contact said it sounds like I've done more work than him in his TC employment seat! If it wasn't for this, I would be concerned about answering those questions myself.

And that's exactly my point, with what you have now achieved you're much more likely to get a training contract. Of course a vacation scheme looks better than 2 weeks at "Bob's Barristers" but don't think you'll necessarily get that without having done the former. Well done though, and good luck with the applications - it sounds like you have a really good shot :smile:!

OP, maybe try and speak to them tomorrow - tell them what you hope to get out of your work experience, etc. They might have just been easing you in today but if you show that you're enthusiastic and serious then they might just up the ante.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending