The Student Room Group

Law personal statement advice

Okay so basically I have no law work experience which I know is bad…I work in retail, have done public speaking and have good AS grades so all of the base is there. I just don’t know what else…like how do I connect those things to law? And is there any books, podcasts any of you would recommend etc
Reply 1
i recommend MOOCs ! you can find some free ones online. also you can complete virtual internships, i did a couple on forage.com. as for reading, go on google scholar and read some papers about any law areas you are interested in.
Original post by Niamhmaria05
Okay so basically I have no law work experience which I know is bad…I work in retail, have done public speaking and have good AS grades so all of the base is there. I just don’t know what else…like how do I connect those things to law? And is there any books, podcasts any of you would recommend etc

Hi there @Niamhmaria05

Law related work experiences are quite difficult to secure, especially in the earlier years of your study. So most people will be in your position. I think @elxiar's advice is really good. Completing online courses can really give you an insight into the field of law and boost your application.

It is important afterwards to reflect on your experience. Particularly, try highlighting what skills you have and why they will be useful in a law degree/ career. For example: from retail experiences you pay attention to detail, listening skills, independent thinking and teamworking. Public speaking is also good to showcase good communication, skills in drafting (an argument/ speech etc). Regarding writing the personal statement, I would recommend looking online for any examples too see the structure, the style and focus of the writing so you get an idea what your PS should look like.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending