Biology degree personal statement example (1d) work experience

“The Yangtze River Dolphin is officially extinct!" When I read this in BBC Focus in 2007 I knew exactly which career path I was going to take. I was shocked to discover that we are still capable of driving animals to extinction.

A Level Biology fuelled my passion. Darwin's Theory of Natural Selection intrigued me and gave me exciting insights into the foundation of modern evolutionary Biology. I watched the recent unveiling of Ida, "The Link", on the BBC, fascinated by the way this new find meant further proof of this theory. I have become particularly interested in ecology and conservation. If we are to preserve and profit from the world we live in, I think we need a profound understanding of both.

Geography allowed me to discover the joy of active research. Our trip to Magilligan Field Centre this year gave me the chance to explore at first hand the sand dune ecosystem at the Umbra Reserve. By that time I had already gained the "Junior Geography Award" for best Geographer in my year group. In the career I envisage for myself, Geography and Biology are complimentary subjects.

A Level ICT is providing me with the tools I need to record and process the data I acquire. Proficient in a range of software packages, I have become creative in the uses to which they can be put.

During the summer 2009 I took a job shadowing the Regional Inspectors of Environment and Water in Bulgaria. We visited lots of wildlife reserves, particularly the Kamchia Reserve which is not only listed by UNESCO as a Biosphere Reserve but is also one of the most important breeding areas in Bulgaria for the Semi-collared Flycatcher. While I was in Kamchia I also became fascinated by the rare habitat of alluvial longose groves.

Another week as a volunteer in the Green Balkans Wildlife and Breeding Centre gave me hands-on experience with wild animals. It gave me the chance to work alongside some of the best ornithologists in the country. They explained their conservation projects and in doing so made me aware of some key issues concerning conservation today. I love reading around my subjects. I subscribe to BBC Wildlife and I read BBC Focus, both of which keep me informed about recent developments in relevant science and conservation. I am exercised by the complexity of the matter as exemplified by the recent "Wildlife" article on the relationship between wild dogs and lions in Botswana, where trying to conserve one species means endangering the other.

I am a native speaker of Bulgarian, and I have a flair for languages. I speak English fluently, and achieved high grades at GCSE in both English Language and Literature. I have been studying Spanish since third year and in fourth year I received the "Young Linguist of the Year" award. My strong sense of responsibility extends beyond my interest in wildlife. I mentor first year children, often acting as a guide and example, counsellor and friend. Recently I also had the opportunity to mentor some students with behavioural problems at a science road show for Sentinus. As Head Girl I see it my responsibility to provide judicious leadership and to promote the excellent ideals of my integrated school.

In my spare time I like to keep fit by riding a bike regularly and also going to the gym. I also like to travel because I believe that it is a very enriching experience as I have the chance to interact with different cultures and traditions. I am quite creative and I like to express it by drawing and designing. I am a nail artist in my spare time.

I do not want to read any more shocking stories about species extinction. I want to join those who are making it their business to make a difference. To make the best contribution I can I wish to enter the field with a broad Biology background. To this end I will dedicate all my efforts and all my skills.

• University of Oxford (Biological Sciences)
  • Imperial College, London (Zoology)
  • University of York (Zoology)
  • University of Sheffield (Zoology)
  • Bristol University (Zoology)