Ancient and medieval history degree personal statement example (1a) Royal Holloway offer

This is a real personal statement written by a student for their university application. It might help you decide what to include in your own. There are lots more examples in our collection of sample personal statements. 

When I decided to teach myself my History AS-Level, everyone told me that it was a terrible idea; but I finally had the opportunity to study the Crusades and the Norman Conquest of England. The independent study made me manage my own learning, exam preparation and time, and in the end, I achieved over 90% in both of my exams. I now look forward to taking the next step.

For me, history began with my hand-me-down Ladybird 'Adventures from History' books that ranged from Cleopatra to Charles II, before graduating to the 'Oxford History of England' series and works by historians such as Asbridge and Stubbs. As my reading has widened, I have wanted to discover how and why history is written; historians such as Tosh have introduced me to the concept of historiography and objective historical truth. Reading both fact and fiction has always been a hobby of mine, especially Bernard Cornwell and Sharon Kay Penman.

I have attended lectures on the English War Bow and Charlemagne, amongst others, and enjoy television programmes such as 'Time Team', and the two recent series on Ancient Greece by Michael Scott. The recent 'Life and Death in Pompeii and Herculaneum' exhibit at the British Museum made me curious about the social life of Roman citizens and likewise, the collections at the V&A museum on Medieval Christianity helped me comprehend the religious fervour in Europe at that time, especially since I was studying the Crusades. I have been on several 'historical marathons' around England, Wales, Rome, Pompeii and the Loire Valley, and have kept a record of these trips in my portfolio as a reference. Next, I am keen to take a historical education trip to Denmark to research Viking trading. I have not yet had the opportunity to take Latin or Greek, but I am currently studying Old English at home to help me access some primary sources (German GCSE makes pronunciation easier!). For practical experience I volunteer at my local museum and had a week's work experience at the Weald and Downland Museum working in a Tudor kitchen and on a medieval farm. In 2014, I have a placement at the National Archives which will allow me to learn about the preservation and movement of some of the most important documents in English history.

My independent study continues in an EPQ comparing the cultural depictions of Edward I to the facts in order to assess the accuracy of historical fiction, including Times bestsellers, Hungarian poems and Hollywood films. For the historical side of my investigation, I used translations of Edward I's letters and charters, and my practical research consisted of an interview of Marc Morris and two trips to Wales to research Edward's effect there. My final dissertation is developing the analytical writing and cross-referencing skills that were first acquired for English Literature AS-Level but I am now applying them in a different context. My other project is my 150,000 word novel which, although it is a fantasy, has led to extensive research into social and military history in Europe up to the 15th century.

I am a keen sportswoman, partaking in many school teams including hockey, athletics - to county level - and gymnastics. My sporting tastes outside school are more diverse; I enjoy horse riding, skiing (I hold the ESF Etoile d'Or which I passed aged 7), shooting my English war bow with the FRAS, figure skating and dance. I also have completed my Bronze Duke of Edinburgh and two canoeing expeditions along the Ouse which greatly improved my team work skills. I was a School Councillor from 2007-2011, and School Ambassador in 2011. I joined my current school in Year 12 and am now House Prefect where I work with all year groups and my fellows to organise activities to bring our House closer, as well as organising events for our house charity. I cannot wait to bring my passion and energy to a degree which will allow me to immerse myself in areas of History that fascinate me.

• Royal Holloway, University of London (Ancient and Medieval History) - Offer (ABB) Firm
  • University of St. Andrews (Mediaeval History) - Withdrawn
  • Cardiff University (Ancient and Medieval History) - Offer (AAB)
  • Swansea University (Ancient and Medieval History) - Offer (BBC)
  • The University of Birmingham (Ancient and Medieval History) - Offer (AAB)

• History (AS) - A
  • Geography (AS) - A
  • English Literature (AS) - B
  • Mathematics (AS) - B
  • EPQ - A*
  • History (A2) - A*
  • Geography (A2) - A
  • Maths (A2) - C