Personal Statement:Psychology 45 - The Student Room

Psychology Personal Statement

Psychology is ultimately the study of human behaviour, and because of this I have found that it is a discipline which has shed new light on every form of social interaction I encounter, making it more rewarding than any other subject. I am interested in psychology simply because it helps me to understand how I, and those around me, think, and why we do the things we do. It is an area of my study that is wonderfully unavoidable in life.

Earlier this year, I attended a psychology conference in London led by Professor Zimbardo. I enjoyed the entire conference, but I was particularly captivated by Professor David Wilson's side-lecture on criminology. Since then, criminology has been one of the sub-disciplines of psychology that has captured my attention, especially the evolutionary motives behind serious crimes, which Professor Wilson explained, such as killing to maintain pride and dominance. Motives behind crime were further explained in "The Anatomy of Violence" by Adrian Raine, from a more biological perspective. The idea that some of us have a genetic predisposition to a criminal psyche is intriguing, and I think it has many implications for a modern legal system - should a criminal be sentenced harshly, if a crime was the fault of their genes? This led to more research into the psychology behind the public's outlook on murder, and how they react to different races being perpetrators, in cases such as Troy Davis. Could his punishment by death have been avoided if his racial background had been different?

Psychology appeals to me because of its application to real life. At AS level, one of the topics we studied was biopsychology, including brain structures such as Broca's Area. This stemmed a particular interest in language implications in brain and head injuries, as I was fascinated by how just one injury to one part of the brain can affect someone's life so dramatically. As a result, I engaged in a discussion with a speech and language therapist, who gave me further insight into the practical applications of psychology, and I began reading 'Head Injuries: A Practical Guide' which furthered my understanding of how the brain works, ways in which people with brain injuries cope, and what happens to them during the recovery process, reminding me of the importance of psychology in everyday lives.

My other A levels have helped me to develop skills that I found to be extremely useful when studying psychology. History has helped me develop my analytical skills, as well as allowing me to look into the psychological aspects of world history, such as the Goldhagen Debate and anti-Semitism. My studies in biology have helped me build better evaluation skills, as well as helping me understand the brain and nervous system in depth, and the effects of drugs and neurotransmitters. In my spare time, I work at my local hospital radio. One of my responsibilities is to visit patients in the wards, one of which is the dementia ward. Speaking to the people there has given me an insight into the effects of a degenerative disease. It has also given me invaluable skills such as teamwork and confidence when putting ideas forward, as well as developing my creativity when planning and presenting my own shows.

Last year, in preparation for my A2 course, I undertook an investigation into the effects of age on the occurrence of synaesthesia in students aged 11-17. Carrying out my own study helped me improve my evaluation of other studies as I experienced first-hand what problems arise when conducting research into a topic of interest, especially when having such limited resources. With psychology being a part of our everyday lives, and psychological topics such as mental health becoming more prominent in the media, the ongoing research into the many aspects of this subject is vital. My research outside of my A level lessons, as well as studying within the curriculum, has confirmed my passion and my desire to study it in more depth.

• University of York (Psychology) - Offer (AAB) - Firm
  • University of East Anglia (Psychology) - Offer (ABB) - Insurance
  • Loughborough University (Psychology) - Offer (AAB)
  • University of Liverpool (Psychology) - Offer (ABB)
  • University of Kent (Psychology) - Offer (ABB)

• Psychology (A2) - A
  • History (A2) - B
  • Biology (A2) - B

My firm offer (university of York) accepted me on my achieved grades (ABB)