Personal Statement - History 900

History Personal Statement 900

I have wanted to specialise in a history degree since reading historical novels such as Anne Franks Diary. I have developed a strong interest for other topics within modern history such as the Russian Revolution and the Soviet Union. Studying history at degree level will enable me to investigate and analyse more of the history that surpasses my A2 textbooks. I am keen to learn more on such subjects and I believe that a degree in history will allow me to go on to further studies, potentially as additional courses after I graduate. I believe a degree in History is the backbone to the modern world; it impacts everything that we do and everything that we are. The skills gained from studying history has a broad scope of transferable analytical skills that can be applied to a number of different jobs and situations, especially since I have a broad range of interests that I could pursue as careers. I chose history at GSCE level and wanted to carry on studying at A-level and I am now completing my course at AS. My studies have reinforced my interest in the subject and have given me the confidence to pursue a degree in History. As well as researching and reading about history I have also been on historical trips with my school. In year 10 I visited Belgium and I saw the mass graves of soldiers in the world wars and well as visiting a site where as a school we got to see what a trench would have looked like. The trip was eye opening and really put into context what the wars really meant. I also went to Berlin this year (2014) as part of my AS History Nazi Germany course. I got to see parts of the Berlin wall, Sachenhaussen concentration camp and took part in a walking tour of the city. I also enjoy visiting places in England and I have been to Canterbury Cathedral and to York. I also live in a seaside town that also has a wealth of history especially seen at the seafront and the Old part of the town. I have gained valuable skills from completing my bronze and silver Duke of Edinburgh Award; I work well in a team as well as independently. I also have a part time job where I have gained time management skills and have had to take on certain amount of responsibility. I am a member of girl guiding which means that I volunteer as young leader at my local guide group where I lead girls in activities both at meetings and away at camps. I have also been away for both weekend and week-long camps where I have had to be self sufficient as well as being adaptable to a variety of different situations. I have developed my leadership and organisational skills, as well having responsibilities. These skills, I believe will help me in my degree and social life at university. Outside of school I love reading and writing and read novels based on historical events such as spies in WW1 and the USSR occupation of Lithuanian.