The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Ask Absolutely Anything! (+FAQ)

Scroll to see replies

Focus08
Allocated accommodation to people holding unconditional offers (i.e. before results day)

What about unconditional insurance?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Focus08
Does that make any sense. If you have unconditional offers you pick one, no need for an insurance since it's 'unconditional'.

For example, an applicant who got AAB at A level last year is applying again. They have a conditional offer from a uni requiring them to get an additional A and an offer from Warwick that is unconditional.

They firm the conditional offer and insure the unconditional offer and therefore are not guaranteed to end up in Warwick.

Should the applicant then fail to get the A required for the firm uni, then they will go to Warwick and be placed in group 3 for accommodation allocation.

Oh, and there still is a possibility that an unusually high number of people with Warwick firm offers meet it, therefore resulting in all places on campus being filled up before all group 2 is allocated (in which case everyone in group 2 is placed in a ballot as to whether they get a place on campus or not).
Reply 402
Allocate unconditional firm offer holders then, non?
georgia
Allocate unconditional firm offer holders then, non?

They could. But the surely they are then given higher priority than conditional firm applicants?
Reply 404
TheTallOne
They could. But the surely they are then given higher priority than conditional firm applicants?

That's not uncommon. I know for certain that Sheffield gives priority to unconditional firm then conditional firm then insurance applicants.

Don't see it as being unreasonable either - it's a given that they'd go, why not just allocate them and free up time later down the line.
georgia
That's not uncommon. I know for certain that Sheffield gives priority to unconditional firm then conditional firm then insurance applicants.

Don't see it as being unreasonable either - it's a given that they'd go, why not just allocate them and free up time later down the line.

Wow it is common.

However, I still think it is unfair. I don't see why people who defer/take a gap year/reapply should be guaranteed a place at their first choice halls (often the most sought after, like the en suites at Warwick) while the Conditional Firms have to fight for fewer places at the most oversubscribed areas.

Note to any Warwick applicant reading this: this is not the situation at Warwick. At least for 2010-11 applications.
Is anyone here a member of the Atheists Society? I was thinking of joining Atheists Society and the Christian Society just for the lulz. Anyone know what usually goes down at an Atheist shindig - any bible-burning? I hope there'd at least be a virgin sacrifice to The Almighty Dawkins.
Reply 407
TheTallOne
Cheapest: Megabus from Cannon Park (where Tesco is) to Victoria Coach Station, 2 and a half hours - somewhere between £5 and £15 dependent on when you book.

Fastest: Bus to Coventry station and train to Euston, 1 hour or so (depending on the bus).

How much would the fastest cost?
Reply 408
A few more. Is there a limit to the no. of societies I can join? How much does it cost to join one? Is it possible to join several, and then filter out the ones I'm really interested in?
Abh1shek
A few more. Is there a limit to the no. of societies I can join? How much does it cost to join one? Is it possible to join several, and then filter out the ones I'm really interested in?

As many as you can. Some are free and you won't have to pay the 'Societies Federation Fee'. Some you have to pay.

It's all explained here.

Warwick Student Cinema is one of the ones I suggest you join (many people join it and it's then only £2 to see releases typically only 8-10 weeks old).
Abh1shek
How much would the fastest cost?

Bus currently costs £1.50 (the 12 from campus to Coventry station).

Train from Coventry to London can vary depending on when you book.

There are a few types of fare:
Advance - You must travel on this set day and time (ie on a specific train). these can be booked from about 12 weeks in advance until the day before departure and are generally the cheapest tickets. Advance tickets are singles only.You need 2 advance tickets for a return (the two journeys can differ in price).
Off Peak - You may not travel between peak hours peak hours are normally before 9 or 10am and between 3 and 6pmm so any time outside of that. Check with the train operator for full details on when peak is. Off peak allows you to travel on any off peak train on that day. An off peak single means you an travel on any off peak train on the day stated on the ticket. Off peak returns cost only slightly more (perhaps 10p) and you must have the outward bound journey on the date stated but you can return on any day within 30 days.
Anytime - You can travel on any train (outward bound journey must be on the date stated on the ticket). You can return on any train within 30 days.

Advance is cheapest, Anytime is most expensive.

Advance prices are set on a sliding scale. There are a set number of tickets sold at each price level. The cheapest Coventry to Euston is a £7 ticket. Once they sell out you pay £10, then £10.50, then £14, £15, £18, £19, £20, £26, £29, £43.50, £47.50, £52.50 and £58. But remember these are singles so if you want a return the total shouldn't be more than the off peak or advance return ticket price.
Off peak is a fixed price and can be bought at any time, even a few minutes before departure. An off peak single is £37.80 and an off peak return is £38.80.
Anytime is also a fixed price and can be bought at any time. Anytime single is £61, anytime return is £122 (there's no discount unlike a off peak return).

The off peak price is generally considered as the on the day price. Booking in advance is advised.

Leamington to London is often cheaper. Bus can cost a pound more or so but the on the day off peak price is £17.90 single and £18 return. However the journey is half an hour longer. Anytime price is £48.50 single and £77 return. Advance tickets cost £5 at its cheapest, then £7.50, £10, £12.50, £15, £25 and £35.

You can also save 1/3 on rail travel with a 16-25 Student Railcard. It costs £26 for 1 year to £65 for 3 years. If you only want to buy a 1 year card, you can Save 10% by entering Save10 at the checkout. More details on that here. How it works: select 16-25 railcard when you buy the ticket and instead of costing £3, the ticket will cost £2. You will need to travel with the railcard in order for the ticket to be valid.

If you are a UK/'Home' student then you can get this railcard free with the Natwest Student Account.

A return to London via Coventry can be as cheap as £13 or so (£3 bus and 2x £7 advance ticket, then pay for with railcard). On the day it will cost £28 or so including bus and railcard.

A return to London via Leamington can be as cheap as £10, or on the day it will be about £16 including bus.

I should add that a London Travelcard can be bought with the ticket, but is only available with return tickets. So you can't get Advance deals with the travelcard. Travelcard costs £5 or £6.
Reply 411
Zweihander
Is anyone here a member of the Atheists Society? I was thinking of joining Atheists Society and the Christian Society just for the lulz. Anyone know what usually goes down at an Atheist shindig - any bible-burning? I hope there'd at least be a virgin sacrifice to The Almighty Dawkins.

"We feel a sense of community amongst students who do not believe in supernatural Gods is important and we hold socials and other fun events to bring those who share our mindset together."
Reply 412
Zweihander

I don't know about the Atheists Society but I have a couple of friends who are members of the Christian Union (this may be the same as the Christian Society but I'm not sure as they're only recently becoming part of the Students' Union) and apparently it's really friendly. I've been to a couple of their events and they do film watching, religious talks and free food. However I felt I couldn't really get any more involved than that as I'm more of an atheist myself.
TheTallOne
Mini fridges - if you have a good enough reason (medical/disability) then it is allowed. In other cases, just get along well with your cleaner and camouflage it with books around it or something and you should be able to keep it. Although going to the kitchen to get stuff is a social thing, rather than staying in your room when you want something.

Wireless routers - Switches won't work, routers will. Routers can be discovered. However I didn't try use one so I'm not sure if they are enforcing the rule. Apparently torrenting was possible last year, and they don't care about DC++ within campus. Download rule didn't seem to be enforced - I transferred over 80GB of traffic in a week in term 3.

Cars - I really doubt you will be able to keep a car on campus for the entire year. If you live off campus then obviously if you have space in front of your house it will be possible. Options: manage to find a unrestricted parking space in the Cannon Park area or perhaps offer/advertise a homeowner living in that area a sum of money to keep your car there for the year.

so i don't have to give it up?????i was SOOOOO worried....so what's the current situation????and what's the download rule you were referring to and what programmes do you use to download all your stuff????:eek3:
Reply 414
Hi everybody:smile:
I'm booking my flights right now and need your help:smile:

I've found term dates on Warwick web-site:
Autumn Term
Monday 4th October 2010 - Saturday 11th December 2010
Spring Term
Monday 10th January 2011 - Saturday 19th March 2011
Summer Term
Wednesday 27th April 2011 - Saturday 2nd July 2011

Is there any possibility that I'll have any exams, lectures, etc. during the period between terms? Or I can book flights, say, on 12th December right away?
Reply 415
hooly
Hi everybody:smile:
I'm booking my flights right now and need your help:smile:

I've found term dates on Warwick web-site:
Autumn Term
Monday 4th October 2010 - Saturday 11th December 2010
Spring Term
Monday 10th January 2011 - Saturday 19th March 2011
Summer Term
Wednesday 27th April 2011 - Saturday 2nd July 2011

Is there any possibility that I'll have any exams, lectures, etc. during the period between terms? Or I can book flights, say, on 12th December right away?

no exams whatsoever between terms
also, no school on saturdays
so the only thing which could prevent u from going back is other activities which u'll choose to engage in
that's what i heard from my mother's friend's daughter, who's currently studying there
i booked my flight on 11th dec, but i think u could prolly go on the 10th once lessons finish
defying_gravity
so i don't have to give it up?????i was SOOOOO worried....so what's the current situation????and what's the download rule you were referring to and what programmes do you use to download all your stuff????:eek3:

Towards the end of the year I think there were a few issues with actually downloading the .torrent file. Can't say anything about the second part.
Reply 417
Posted it in the wrong thread.

1. Where can I watch Liverpool/EPL games on campus
2. Is it worth getting the bus card, and how much does it cost?
Abh1shek
Posted it in the wrong thread.

1. Where can I watch Liverpool/EPL games on campus
2. Is it worth getting the bus card, and how much does it cost?

Watch it at The Bar/Bar Fusion on the first floor of Rootes Restaurant.

Bus passes are not worth it in the first year if you live on campus. You won't have a need to use the bus that often. It's £215 for the year with National Express (the 12) or £252 for Stagecoach (the U1).

But I doubt you will use the bus more than 100 times in the first year so it isn't worth it.
Reply 419
TheTallOne
Bus passes are not worth it in the first year if you live off campus.

I'm guessing you mean on campus?

Quick Reply

Latest