The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies Tips.

I'm struggling a little bit with higher Modern Studies. I got a 1 in Standard Grade but Higher seems so much different and harder :\ Could I have some tips please? Such as revision tips, essay tips etc. Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Make sure you do your research and get loads of examples and stats for each of the topics (voting stats, life expectancy rates, etcetc). Your teacher will probably give you loads of these, but it would be good for you to get your own. BBC news is great for this. These will come in very useful when doing your DME aswell and the BK for that will mainly come from the H+W section, so make sure you have loads of examples/stats for this section or you won't get a good mark in your DME.

Ensure that your essays are balanced so fight both sides of the argument equally and don't write 3/4 of your essay for one part then only a 1/4 for the other.
I don't really know what to say for essays, I could give loads of advice for DME's though if you want?

As for revision, everyone is different in the way they remember things so I can't really comment on this. Personally, I use lists/mind maps with colours which works really well for me :tongue: However, you need to find out how you learn yourself.

If you need any advice on particular essays/DMEs then I could help you more if I did the same topics/remember it :tongue:
Reply 2
DME? Decision Making Essay? Yes please. Advice for that would be very helpful. Thanks :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by LiverpoolFC_18
DME? Decision Making Essay? Yes please. Advice for that would be very helpful. Thanks :smile:

Ok so the format is best to be in the following and then I'll give you other general advice after that.

To: the name of the person (if there is one) and there's usually a committe
Date: self-explanatory
Subject: the topic of the DME, eg. Free Prescriptions or something

Introduction - give a brief introduction to what the policy being discussed actually is, your decision on it and list a few arguments you're going to give.

Arguments for your proposal - bullet point around 3 arguments supporting your decision
Argument 1 - Argue your case, referring to the sources given and backround knowledge
Argument 2 - See above
Argument 3 - See above

Arguments against your proposal and rebuttal - bullet point around 3 arguments which contradict your decision
Argument 1 - Say briefly what other people might say against your decision, back it up with a source if you can't use the source anywhere else and then totally rip it shreds to be honest. Say the argument then say 'however' and argue how the reason is not valid and you have evidence against it.
Repeat for the other 2 arguments

Conclusion - Sum it all up, summarising your arguments and stating whether they should reject or accept the proposal.

General advice
1. Read what the actual task says, what your role is and try and understand what the proposal is.
2. Look at all of the stats/diagrams in source C and get an idea what they're about.
3. Read sources A & B, decide which is for and which is against the proposal and whilst you're reading them, underline it and write notes throughout them on things that agree with the stats/contradict source C as this will form the basis of your report.
4. Decide if you're going to accept or reject the proposal and then write the report.

Make sure you use all of the sources (and try and use them several times). When you're writing an argument dont give evidence from source A, source B, source C1, source C2, etc in that order. Instead mix it up a bit, maybe start with C3, go onto A, then C1(a), or whatever, as this is what markers want to see. Make sure you use as much backround knowledge as possible too and annotate in your margin wherever you have used a source or BK. Also, write in a very argumentative language and refer to the ministers or committee or whatever. For example, 'Committee, I strongly suggest that you implement this proposal immediately'. It might sound sad but try and get really into it and really argumentative as if you were actually standing having a very heated debate with someone.

Hope this helps you :smile:
Reply 4
Wow thanks. That will help a lot. One more thing should I be aiming to do the 3 quick source questions in paper 2 in about 15-20 mins max?
Reply 5
Wow thanks. That will help a lot. One more thing should I be aiming to do the 3 quick source questions in paper 2 in about 15-20 mins max?

Um, that sounds about right, I can't really remember tbh. They should be done really quickly because they're even easier than the ES questions at standard grade IMO and then you can spend the rest of the time on your report.
Reply 6

For the source questions we've been told to spend no more than 15 minutes on them. Preferably 10.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending