The Student Room Group

Edexcel S1 A Level Maths

Scroll to see replies

Original post by patterson
need help with part B and C

HISTOGRAM.jpg

Hi, well the area of the bar is proportional to the frequency & for the one they've given, area = 60 (class width x height) so an area of 60 represents 90 people hence an area of 1.5 (90/60) represents 1 person & the area of those who took b/w 40 & 60secs is 20 x 5 = 100 so 100x1.5 =150 people. For part C just use the same method & add all the frequencies for those less than 80 together. :smile:
Original post by Fortitude
Hi, well the area of the bar is proportional to the frequency & for the one they've given, area = 60 (class width x height) so an area of 60 represents 90 people hence an area of 1.5 (90/60) represents 1 person & the area of those who took b/w 40 & 60secs is 20 x 5 = 100 so 100x1.5 =150 people. For part C just use the same method & add all the frequencies for those less than 80 together. :smile:

Thank you very much.
i don't like S1 not one bit !! lol as long as i get 48 UMS or above (E or above) i can still get that A* overall because of my grades last year. puts so much less pressure on me for friday !!
Original post by patterson
need help with part B and C

HISTOGRAM.jpg

Hope that you can read it :smile:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1368661734.622981.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by masryboy94
i don't like S1 not one bit !! lol as long as i get 48 UMS or above (E or above) i can still get that A* overall because of my grades last year. puts so much less pressure on me for friday !!

lucky you man:smile: i really love s1 its soo amazing cant wait to do S2
Does anybody have the Jan 13 paper and mark scheme?
Reply 307
Can someone tell me what P(B|R) means? I have no idea :frown:
Can't we just use words with probabilities?
I'm worried that they may use the letters above so it's best to learn it. Please help!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jadecross
I'm worried that they may use the letters above so it's best to learn it. Please help!

Probability that B happens given that R occurs. :smile:
Reply 310
Original post by usycool1
Probability that B happens given that R occurs. :smile:

oh thank you, you're a great helper! :smile:
Reply 311
3 s.f.?

Probabilities usually take 4 d.p.

It's easier to use shortened notation, who's got the time to write "the probability of B given R" every time? :tongue:
Original post by Jam'
3 s.f.?

Probabilities usually take 4 d.p.

For normal distribution questions you mean? Yeah, take them to 4 d.p., because that's how they've given them in the tables.
Reply 314
Original post by justinawe
For normal distribution questions you mean? Yeah, take them to 4 d.p., because that's how they've given them in the tables.

For probabilities in general.

Everything else to 3 s.f.
Original post by Jam'

I'd just write the whole no out & then round to 3sf but yeah as has been mentioned in normal distribution write what it says in the table.
oh thank you, you're a great helper! :smile:

You're welcome :hat2:
Original post by Jam'

For other probability questions, you can almost always (possibly always) get exact values.

Markschemes accept answers to 3 s.f. anyway.
When drawing a regression line, do you only plot the means or do you have to plot anything else?
Reply 319
Original post by Amydx6
How do you Unicode for standard deviation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have to uncode by multiplying/ dividing, as addition/subtraction has no effect on variance and standard deviation
So if coded standard dev is: (x-5)/10=20 Then the uncoded is simply: 20x10= 200. (you don't add 5)

In mean you have to uncode it all so if coded mean= x+25/5=10 then uncoded mean is (10x5)-25=25

In regression, coding has no effect on PMCC but if you're asked to find a certain value using the line you have to uncode by subbing in.

4. A farmer collected data on the annual rainfall, x cm, and the annual yield of peas, p tonnes per acre. The data for annual rainfall was coded using v= (x-5)/10
and the following statistics were found.

Svv = 5.753 . Spv = 1.688 . Spp = 1.168 . mean of p= 3.22 . mean of v= 4.42

(a) Find the equation of the regression line of p on v in the form p = a + bv. (4)

(b) Using your regression line estimate the annual yield of peas per acre when the annual rainfall is 85cm. In this case you sub in 85 to find V. You can then insert it into your original equation

markscheme for regression.png

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending