The Student Room Group

Lets have some fun, and check out my choices!

Finally got my predicted grades:rolleyes: , so now really need to decide where I am going to apply and well... apply.

Basically

GCSE(lazy): 7A 2B 1C 1D (A's in maths etc though)

AS: Maths A Eco A Psychology B ICT C

Predicted: Eco A Psychology A Maths B (+ Resit AS ICT to make it a make it b)

Giving me a prediction of AABb

Choices wise I've been to two open days(soton and leicester), and I'm not to bothered about it really rather just choose from my offers i think(which is hopefully more than 1)!

At the moment im thinking....

York
Edinburgh (+ point neither parent has degree)
B'ham/Soton
RHUL
Liverpool/Leicester/Somewhere similar

any thoughts?

Also would like to email these universities to see if I have a chance, but really don't know how you put it across?

Oh and of course I'm applying for straight Economics BSc, nearly forgot!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I emailed Nottingham and said "Hello, I was wondering if you'd consider my application as I got ****** at GCSE and **** at AS? I was just wondering as it says that you "look for outstanding results at both AS and GCSE" and I wasn't sure what constituted this?

Got a reply that just said "We would consider your application." You're emailing an admission tutor, so don't be overlly informal.
Reply 2
Mann18
I emailed Nottingham and said "Hello, I was wondering if you'd consider my application as I got ****** at GCSE and **** at AS? I was just wondering as it says that you "look for outstanding results at both AS and GCSE" and I wasn't sure what constituted this?

Got a reply that just said "We would consider your application." You're emailing an admission tutor, so don't be overlly informal.

sorry but thats poor trolling.
Reply 3
danny111

how was he trolling?
Reply 4
dougiemacs
how was he trolling?

you honestly think he wrote that?

also, how are his GCSE and AS **** if he is applying to oxford and ucl?
Reply 5
danny111

i swear to god.

Dear *****

Thank you for your email enquiry. We would consider an application from you. Our requirements are for three A2-Levels at Grade A as well as the LNAT, details of which can be found at www.lnat.ac.uk.

Yours sincerely

Mrs Sue Rogerson

Undergraduate Admissions Officer

School of Law

University of Nottingham

University Park

Nottingham NG7 2RD

Telephone: 0115 951 5704

Facsimile: 0115 951 5734

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/law2

(I copied and pasted because I don't know how to insert images)
Reply 6
danny111
you honestly think he wrote that?

also, how are his GCSE and AS **** if he is applying to oxford and ucl?

My ASs are AAAA, but my GCSEs weren't amazing, but they were way above average for my high school, so i have a shot ot Oxford. (FYI, you can apply to Oxford with UUUU, you just wouldn't get in) Ahh, i see why you thought that, i didn't type "s,hit" i actually typed the asterixes.. but in my email I said what i had, i just couldn't be bothered to type it. my bad.
Reply 7
Mann18
My ASs are AAAA, but my GCSEs weren't amazing, but they were way above average for my high school, so i have a shot ot Oxford. (FYI, you can apply to Oxford with UUUU, you just wouldn't get in)

so the ****** werent swear words indicating poor grades?

and dont be a git.
Reply 8
danny111
so the ****** werent swear words indicating poor grades?

and dont be a git.

lol, sorry. No, it was marginally faster to type **** than AAAA. I can see why you thought that, and theres no way I'd email a prospective uni and swear so if I was lying, you'd have got me. Let this suspected troll go, you'll get one next time. :cool:
Reply 9
Mann18
lol, sorry. No, it was marginally faster to type **** than AAAA. I can see why you thought that, and theres no way I'd email a prospective uni and swear so if I was lying, you'd have got me. Let this suspected troll go, you'll get one next time. :cool:

lol, its coz TSR is infested... sad times.

anyway in that case good luck with your applications!
pym
Finally got my predicted grades:rolleyes: , so now really need to decide where I am going to apply and well... apply.

Basically

Choices wise I've been to two open days(soton and leicester), and I'm not to bothered about it really rather just choose from my offers i think(which is hopefully more than 1)!

York
B'ham/Soton
RHUL

any thoughts?

Also would like to email these universities to see if I have a chance, but really don't know how you put it across?

I went to see York and loved it. Those grades should be fine for it, but as York is oversubscribed you might need to knock 'em down with your personal statement.
Reply 11
danny111
lol, its coz TSR is infested... sad times.

anyway in that case good luck with your applications!

Lol, thanks, you too if you're applying. :smile:
Reply 12
pym
OP
Thanks for the feedback, anyone else know how likely it is I will recieve offers?
I understand that nobody knows, but still other opinions can only help me!
Reply 13
pym
OP
anyone?
Reply 14
pym
anyone?

Economics is a very competitive course. Just go on predicted grades, you should be fine though I guess.
Reply 15
pym

Basically

York
B'ham/Soton
RHUL

any thoughts?

I think you have a really good chance outside the TAELT top 11 as you have Maths and Economics grade A at AS. But inside top 11 hard (e.g. bc at AS in 3rd and 4th AS-levels). So your choices look sensible to me.
Reply 16
pym
OP
Ok thanks for the help guys, will report back after I've sent in my application.
Reply 17
pym
OP
Paulwhy

I emailed Edinburgh asking about their entry requirements etc and got this:

The typical successful applicant would have at least 3 As at A-level including Maths and more than 6 A*s at GCSE as Economics attracts a very competitive applicant pool. We do not know what our target for this subject is yet for 2010, or exactly how many applicants it will attract, so cannot say with complete accuracy what grades he would require.

it gives an idea on what they look for in more detail than the website etc(6 A*'s)
Reply 18
pym
I emailed Edinburgh asking about their entry requirements etc and got this:

The typical successful applicant would have at least 3 As at A-level including Maths and more than 6 A*s at GCSE as Economics attracts a very competitive applicant pool. We do not know what our target for this subject is yet for 2010, or exactly how many applicants it will attract, so cannot say with complete accuracy what grades he would require.

it gives an idea on what they look for in more detail than the website etc(6 A*'s)

Thanks for that. TAELT has been updated.
:smile:
Reply 19
pym
OP
Paulwhy
Thanks for that. TAELT has been updated.
:smile:

No prob,

Need to send my application off asap, I'm definitely going for
York, Birmingham and Leicester.

Any ideas as to where I might have a chance with 2 others?

Latest

Trending

Trending