Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Applied to durham for biomedicine (foundation) :biggrin:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Cactus_Man
I'm sure you'll stay in the castle at least one year. After writing my last post I actually read that only 300 (give or take) University College members live on campus each year. Statistically, this means you're almost guaranteed to reside in the keep (assuming you live in every year).

For me, it came down to University, Hatfield, and Chad's. They're all quite similar, but with their own positives and negatives. John's was never really an option as I doubt I'd get along with a bunch of Christians. I mean, if they were moderate then it probably wouldn't matter, but I didn't want to take the chance of rooming with a fundie.

As for turning against me, bring it. You don't know the power of the dark side! :mwuaha:

:biggrin: I'm excited now! Although don't want to raise my hopes up too much just in case, I'm a bit of a pessmist according to my friends! I'd love to live at least for one year in the keep, you could tell everyone you lived in a castle at university! :p:

I heard that Chads is a very acquired taste and I wasn't sure if I had aquired it! Agreed on Johns! I don't think my Bible bashing woud go down too well.... I definately wanted a Bailey College, I love old buildings :love:

:biggrin: The power of the dark side eh? Is that a bit like the power of Darth Vader because I heard he came to a sticky end?
Reply 302
Original post by ylime_2
SAMEEEE! Did you go to the 2 day open day last term? thought it was pretty good then :smile:

Also applying to do maths at:
Christ's College Cambridge
Warwick
Bath
Bristol

Another Maths at Grey applicant here :biggrin:
Original post by Freerider101
I've got very similar choices to you :smile: Only real difference is that I'm applying for physics :tongue:

Maths > Physics :wink: lol JK.
Which is your first choice? Mine's Warwick :smile: and I would love to have either Bath or Notts as my insurance. :biggrin:
Reply 304
I'm at Castle if anyone has any questions.
Anyone applied to St Hild and St Bede?
Original post by SmileyGurl13
Maths > Physics :wink: lol JK.
Which is your first choice? Mine's Warwick :smile: and I would love to have either Bath or Notts as my insurance. :biggrin:

Yeah Warwick is the place to go if you want to study maths! Are you looking at A*A* for Maths and FM or are you doing well in STEP II/III to lower offer to A*A? My first choice is Bath then Nottingham probably because they're the only universities I have visited and I like them. :smile: I'm going to visit Durham if I get an offer. And maths is interesting but I'm sure physics is more useful :tongue: (and important)
Original post by Jing_jing
Doing M1 retake, M2 and M3, and M3 is nearly killing me. There's bits of M2 I don't understand as I had to self teach it as well but I'm hoping that I'll get it all done in time!
Really? I find core so much easier than mechanics! It's just too wordy for me!

iv heard m3 is hard, but i would rather do that than fp3 :smile:
ye, self teaching must be pretty hard, though when my teacher is doing an example on the board, i try to do it myself before he does and it usually works :smile:
ye some bits confuse me like the centre of mass, why do some methods work and some dont? stuff like that
do u do fp3?
Original post by Ultimate1
So if you get allocated a college you basically have an offer?

If you mean on Track then yes :biggrin: but for the Durham AES...

The acknowledgement e-mail says:
"Please note that occasionally some applications are unsuccessful despite being sent to a college as the University is restricted in the number of home offers it can make. These applications are recalled within the University and, even though the AES may have shown that an application has been passed to a college for consideration, the University will not be in a position to make an offer."

So unless the offer is on Track, I wouldn't trust it 100% - there's a whole thread about the questionable reliability of AES :wink:

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 309
Original post by CharlieT247
If you mean on Track then yes :biggrin: but for the Durham AES...

The acknowledgement e-mail says:
"Please note that occasionally some applications are unsuccessful despite being sent to a college as the University is restricted in the number of home offers it can make. These applications are recalled within the University and, even though the AES may have shown that an application has been passed to a college for consideration, the University will not be in a position to make an offer."

So unless the offer is on Track, I wouldn't trust it 100% - there's a whole thread about the questionable reliability of AES :wink:

Hope that helps :smile:

Thanks! So how do we know we've been assigned a college on track or does it only come on if you get made an offer?

Good luck for Physchology! Sounds interesting :biggrin:
Thanks! So how do we know we've been assigned a college on track or does it only come on if you get made an offer?

Good luck for Physchology! Sounds interesting :biggrin:

The AES status changes when the application has been forwarded to a college e.g. mine says: Received by Department; Not yet received by a college
But as before, this isn't too reliable in terms of your application status! :smile:

In Track, it will only show that a college has been allocated once Durham has made an offer and will show up in the Campus Code section (choices; then either the university column under Durham Uni OR choices; choice details; third down (campus))
ATM mine states T for Trevelyan but I think that if I'm accepted by a different college, this will change to the code for whichever college I'm offered a place with. Once Durham makes an offer, the College write to you directly.

And thanks :wink: I'd best not get too carried away about Psych...interesting isn't the word! I'd describe it more like a Class A drug, especially Cognitive psych :redface: It can become quite obsessive! lol Which college are you applying for?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 311
Original post by CharlieT247
The AES status changes when the application has been forwarded to a college e.g. mine says: Received by Department; Not yet received by a college
But as before, this isn't too reliable in terms of your application status! :smile:

In Track, it will only show that a college has been allocated once Durham has made an offer and will show up in the Campus Code section (choices; then either the university column under Durham Uni OR choices; choice details; third down (campus))
ATM mine states T for Trevelyan but I think that if I'm accepted by a different college, this will change to the code for whichever college I'm offered a place with. Once Durham makes an offer, the College write to you directly.

And thanks :wink: I'd best not get too carried away about Psych...interesting isn't the word! I'd describe it more like a Class A drug, especially Cognitive psych :redface: It can become quite obsessive! lol Which college are you applying for?

I applied to.....

.....UNIVERSITY

LMAO as if I even have a chance of getting in. I just put it down and hope for the best. I don't really care that much about college as long as I get in at Durham :colondollar:
Original post by Sequin
I'm at Castle if anyone has any questions.

:smile:

around about what percentage of first years will share a room ? I know most of the actual castle rooms are shared but I heard quite a few of the newer stuff is as well. If your in the newer stuff is there are good chance of a single room or still highly likely that it will be shared ?

also when i was in Durham for the open day I had a look for the newer blocks and couldn't find them. are they actually on the castle site or futher down the road ? I just presumed they would be next door..

cheers :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
also, random one here, anyone know where to find out application ratio stats and the like ? I know durham has a few from about 4-5 years ago on their webstite but im looking for a bit more up to date ones ?
Applying for Theoretical Physics, but I haven't a clue which college I should go to :confused:
Also applying to UCL and Birmingham, not too sure where else I should apply - I need some convincing tbh :biggrin:
Reply 315
If I can make my mind up, possibly making my final choice Durham, St John's, English and Philosophy.
I applied to.....

.....UNIVERSITY

LMAO as if I even have a chance of getting in. I just put it down and hope for the best. I don't really care that much about college as long as I get in at Durham :colondollar:

hahaha...it definitely has a lot going for it! But the oversubscription left me like a bunny in headlights! lol Good luck!!!

I def. agree - Durham is my first choice :biggrin: and the college (accommodation-wise) isn't an issue for me as I'll be living out...love the academic gowns and traditions tho :colondollar: Trying not to get too optimistic, but I'm itching to get house-hunting in the surrounding villages...I like Belmont and Gilesgate but I reckon living in Dragonville would be awesome! lmao
Original post by kebabmonk
Are there no geographers online? As you guessed i am...hopefully ill get onto the human course.

Fingers crossed!

me!
Original post by LukethePianoMan
iv heard m3 is hard, but i would rather do that than fp3 :smile:
ye, self teaching must be pretty hard, though when my teacher is doing an example on the board, i try to do it myself before he does and it usually works :smile:
ye some bits confuse me like the centre of mass, why do some methods work and some dont? stuff like that
do u do fp3?

Joke's on me then seeing as I'm doing FP3 and M3. Yay. I do love pure Maths though and am quite enjoying FP2 even though bits of it are quite hard without C3 and C4!
Original post by Jing_jing
Joke's on me then seeing as I'm doing FP3 and M3. Yay. I do love pure Maths though and am quite enjoying FP2 even though bits of it are quite hard without C3 and C4!

u havent done c3 and c4 yet?
how is ur skl doing further maths then?

Latest