The Student Room Group

Snow

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by SAK.A
Easier said than done. :frown:
Shoveling snow when it's compressed at the bottom is hard and I have a BIG garden/driveway.

You don't have a snow decompressor?

And yeah, stop whining, snow is bloody awesome.
Reply 41
Original post by mackemforever
The private drive (shared by 4 houses) from the main road up to my parents house (where I was living last winter when it snowed), is around 400 yards long, with about 250 yards of it on a steep hill.

We were the only family who were not on holiday at the time and both of my parents work from home, so I had to shovel the entire drive by myself so I was able to get out to work.

I know its difficult, but the fact of the matter is that you need to man up and stop bitching.

Oh yeah well I had to shovel the whole road which was like 10 houses whilst being whipped. (good old monty python sketch)
Love it, I personally like the shovelling, even more so when I can look at a clear driver afterwards with two mounds running down each side with a hot cup of tea. Very satisfying. Walking around I find fun, it's a bit more of a challenge and an adventure.

I suffer from a hopeless romantic side so I love everything about it. Just invest in a good pair of boots and wear them to school.
I like the snow when it cancels college. I don't like being in the snow. Hot chocolate and telly for the win.
Reply 44
Original post by Luceria
If you live in a place where snow isn't rare, the novelty quickly wears off. I think you must be allowed to say you're not the biggest fan of snow without being called a heartless bastard. After a while it becomes dirty and ugly and full of rubbish. Then it turns slushy, freezes to ice, turns slushy again, freezes to ice again... And just creates a lot of problems.

It's okay in December.

Well first of all snow is rare in England to the extent that is noticeable. Also I lived near a mountain range in Spain where it snowed and no the novelty didnt really wear off. Im just saying I dont see how people can dislike snow it brings so much fun, you cant say you havent laughed at someone slipping (if theyre not hurt obviously :tongue:) It turns slushy and dirty on the roads main so the solution is dont walk on the dirty slush bit because you dont want it to ruin your shoes :smile: More benefits than problems in my opinion
Reply 45
day 1 - yeahh snow!
day 2- yeahh still happy!
day 3 - novely starting to wear off
day 4 - ok, getting annoyed. im starting to forget what colour the grass was
day 5 - just ***k off now.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by Fuzzed_Out
Love it, I personally like the shovelling, even more so when I can look at a clear driver afterwards with two mounds running down each side with a hot cup of tea. Very satisfying. Walking around I find fun, it's a bit more of a challenge and an adventure.

I suffer from a hopeless romantic side so I love everything about it. Just invest in a good pair of boots and wear them to school.

I also suffer from a romantic side thats why I prefer to stay indoors with my girlfriend with a hot cup of choco and a nice film but that can't happen if i can't travel to my girlfriends house because of the evil snow.
Yeah I'll go get a cheap pair of boots or something with grip if it doesn't snow tommorow. Fingers crossed.:redface:
Original post by missaphrodite
I'm with you on this one.
I can't possibly understand why adults can get excited about snow. I'm 19 at university and I know plenty of people who are excited about it...
Yes it looks pretty. Yes it's nice if it snows around Christmas and you're in the warm looking out of it. But let's face it, it's frozen rain. Cold rain! Snow isn't terrible but ice is horrible. I used to slip up all the time on the way to school. You get chavs throwing snowballs at you. Traffic is awful and it's dangerous to drive. I get two buses to uni and I'm not looking forward to it.

I feel like such a grinch saying all of this :frown:
Really though, snow is all well and good when you can stay inside, preferably by a fire, and look out at it, and make the decision to go and build a snowman for like 20 minutes. But if you're forced to go out in it and travel in it, it's not that nice at all. And surely by the time you're 16-20, the novelty has worn off...

Snow is not frozen rain.

GET EXCITED :badger::badger::badger:
Reply 48
I love snow - you can take days of school. Haha!
Reply 49
Original post by antantoon
Well first of all snow is rare in England to the extent that is noticeable. Also I lived near a mountain range in Spain where it snowed and no the novelty didnt really wear off. Im just saying I dont see how people can dislike snow it brings so much fun, you cant say you havent laughed at someone slipping (if theyre not hurt obviously :tongue:) It turns slushy and dirty on the roads main so the solution is dont walk on the dirty slush bit because you dont want it to ruin your shoes :smile: More benefits than problems in my opinion

It doesn't snow a lot here either. But I don't find it very "fun" anymore. When I was younger, it was. But now there is nothing fun about it. But it's okay in December and around Christmas. Last winter was horrible. I never wanted to see snow again. Over two months it stayed. (highly unusual as the snow here usually melts away quite quickly) A few days is enough.
Reply 50
I hope it doesn't snow in the sales or it will be like last year shopping in sales (with a girl) is like mission impossible/suicide. The things I do for love. eh.
Reply 51
Well, luckily my brothers are still living at home, and I'm nowhere near... So I sense no danger.
I like snow.
Reply 53
What!

I love the snow soo much, really hope we get some down south :biggrin:
Original post by missaphrodite
Some stuff about being too old to like snow.

You're never too old for a good snowball fight with mates :tongue:
Reply 55
There are good things to snow such as a nice snowball fight, how it looks when nobody stepped on it whilst the sun's rising, priceless beauty. But after a bit I get bored of it and feel like getting a flamethrower. :cool:
I loved the snow when I lived in the French countryside, because there were never exams around that time, so no worries. It never got all slushy and brown and nasty, just melted when it got too warm. Everyone here complains because it disrupts so much, but it shouldn't. England just isn't prepared enough. In France, when it snowed so much, the council paid the local farmers a couple of days wages to go around gritting in their tractors.

However, this will be my first snow in the uk, and I am dreading trying to get in for my AS exams. I get two buses and a 30 minute walk every morning. Plus, as I live in a city, the snow will soon be slushy and muddy. :frown: Oh well.
Reply 57
I have Chionophobia :frown:
Original post by Luceria
It doesn't snow a lot here either. But I don't find it very "fun" anymore. When I was younger, it was. But now there is nothing fun about it. But it's okay in December and around Christmas. Last winter was horrible. I never wanted to see snow again. Over two months it stayed. (highly unusual as the snow here usually melts away quite quickly) A few days is enough.

You live on the West Coast of Norway right? So I guess that explains why the snow melts so quickly because of the gulf stream circulating warm air from the Caribbean, traveling up towards the UK where gathers acid rain that burns away your forest...
I like having no school

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending