The Student Room Group

It is possible to be made gay..

....well, for birds at least.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn19784-mercury-poisoning-makes-male-birds-homosexual.html

But does this mean that people too have been poisoned in some way, and that there may also be a cure? :holmes:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't recall eating any methylmercury...
Reply 2
So, let me get this straight - this means homosexuality can be chemically induced in animals? Which means environmental factors can dictate your sexuality?

Backs up the idea that you can't choose, I suppose.
Reply 3
Original post by Skoji
I don't recall eating any methylmercury...

The question is, can you be cured? :confused:
Reply 4
Yes, but do they enjoy it?
Original post by Jimbo1234

The the poisoning? possibly.
Reply 6
i don't think so. you can probably be made to believe you're say though sometimes. i know that happened to one of my friends once, haha.
Reply 7
Original post by Georgiaet
i don't think so. you can probably be made to believe you're say though sometimes. i know that happened to one of my friends once, haha.

You don't think so? In what way as these birds were turned gay, and correct me if I am wrong, but birds are not exactly smart animals that you can convince to do something simple, let alone change their sexuality.
Reply 8
You don't think so? In what way as these birds were turned gay, and correct me if I am wrong, but birds are not exactly smart animals that you can convince to do something simple, let alone change their sexuality.

Stop calling people stupid. What are you, a nazi? :confused:
Reply 9

Since homosexuality isn't a disease, I'll assume you're talking about mercury poisoning. Once again, I don't recall having ever eaten any methylmercury so no, I can't be 'cured'.
Original post by Georgiaet

It's possible for humans to be born gay, I don't know how though. Why would anyone choose to be gay when it involves so much bullying, getting beaten up, less respect, no one would choose that. I have a gay friend who doesn't want to be gay but can't help it !
Reply 11
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
It's possible for humans to be born gay, I don't know how though. Why would anyone choose to be gay when it involves so much bullying, getting beaten up, less respect, no one would choose that. I have a gay friend who doesn't want to be gay but can't help it !

Was he ever exposed to any large amounts of Mercury?
Reply 12
Original post by Skoji
Since homosexuality isn't a disease, I'll assume you're talking about mercury poisoning. Once again, I don't recall having ever eaten any methylmercury so no, I can't be 'cured'.

Methylmercury is for birds, not humans, why do you keep going on about it. What I am suggesting is that humans have their own chemical that does this to people.
Russell Brand answered this exact question
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Methylmercury is for birds, not humans, why do you keep going on about it. What I am suggesting is that humans have their own chemical that does this to people.

So taking what you ahve said into acount. Couldn't we develop some sort of chemical weapon and turn a country gay so they can't fight properly and can't reproduce.
Reply 15
50% of lesbians between 12-20 are just attention seekers, that 'suddenly' realize they're straight.
Reply 16
Original post by Host_Sama
So taking what you ahve said into acount. Couldn't we develop some sort of chemical weapon and turn a country gay so they can't fight properly and can't reproduce.

.....or just hit Africa with such a weapon and use it to solve over populating the place......:awesome:

But if I recall, America have did play around with this idea back in the 60's but quickly gave up as they though it was impossible, so who knows, maybe they will restart the program :redface:.
Reply 17
Well, here is me hoping :colondollar:
YES ........

Original post by PlanetEuropa
YES ........

Is it wrong that the pic kinda turns me on?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending