The Student Room Group

Mental health at uni

I haven’t even started uni yet and so far all the social stuff is going awful I have been brought up in this homophobic conservative town with **** family and people already seem fed up with me being sad and I feel like my chances of happiness and friends and finding love at uni are slim to none no one wants to accommodate me or accept me as just a broken person I’m expected to be helping all the time even in my current environment and it makes me feel like an imposition, and this is what uni life will be like and I don’t know what I’m supposed to do everyone tells you to fix yourself as if it’s easy and there is a way to do it. I just don’t get what I’m supposed to do so that I don’t end up like this at uni. My mum fired my counsellor last time so that’s just not an option.
Original post by Anonymous
I haven’t even started uni yet and so far all the social stuff is going awful I have been brought up in this homophobic conservative town with **** family and people already seem fed up with me being sad and I feel like my chances of happiness and friends and finding love at uni are slim to none no one wants to accommodate me or accept me as just a broken person I’m expected to be helping all the time even in my current environment and it makes me feel like an imposition, and this is what uni life will be like and I don’t know what I’m supposed to do everyone tells you to fix yourself as if it’s easy and there is a way to do it. I just don’t get what I’m supposed to do so that I don’t end up like this at uni. My mum fired my counsellor last time so that’s just not an option.

Hi,
I’m so sorry to hear that!
Starting university is definitely daunting, especially due to the social side. But I can assure you universities have mental health support teams and facilities, I would definitely email your university if you haven’t already and let them know about your mental health struggles and the support they’d offer. I understand how you feel, because I too have history with bad mental health and it can be overwhelming. Especially when you feel like people don’t understand, and come from a place where people are judgemental and not understanding. Your feelings are valid. I understand it could feel like those are around you are fed up, but I’m sure thats not the case. Sometimes our loved ones feel helpless because they don’t know how to help, and other times they just simply don’t understand because they don’t know how it feels.
University will give you a fresh start, to keep those feelings behind and start a different chapter of your life. I understand it’s overwhelming, my personal advice would be to remind yourself that at university no one knows your history, and what you’ve been through or how you’re like. Having this mindset will free you from the shackles of your past that are holding you down. Thinking this way, will help you live more freely. Because new people won’t know any of it, and you can share whatever you want to, you have control over what they will know.

I want to also take a second to tell you that you’re not a burden your not ever imposing on anyone. You have the right to be sad, to be happy or whatever you feel. Because as humans we all feel, and that’s okay. It’s okay not to be okay. The best thing to do, is to speak to your university, they will help support you.
You are capable of being loved. You will definitely make friends, and possibly fall in love. Allow yourself to be out there, and you’ll receive so much back, I promise you. As long as you get involved, if that’s societies, clubs, or even speaking to your flat mates in common areas. You’ll make friends. Remember, your flat mates will also be new to university they’ll also be nervous, and that’s the beauty of it, you’re all experiencing something new together, and great friendships can be made this way.
I really hope this message finds you well, I really wish you the best with this new chapter of your life.
Please don’t hesitate to reply or even send a personal message.
Sorry your finding it hard I know this sounds corny but things will get better at uni. There are societies for everything under the sun be it it foot ball or film or religion (not for me) and everything. The university student support system is exemplary and you’d be hard pressed to find better anywhere else . It sounds like you do need a. It of counciling the uni will help with that whatever it is whatever is wrong your overwhelmed with the work no problem it’s more serious again they will help.I really hope the best for you being in a new location like halls should help a change of scene can sometimes do a world of good .
Good luck and enjoy uni.
Reply 3
Well I have already spoken to quite a few people one guy told me that it’s I know for him to exploit gay men in gay bars for free drinks in Brighton of all places and it sucks because I’m on my way to being diagnosed with ASD/ADHD and I overshare a lot and I feel like I have to explain my wounds otherwise people will blame me for being a weird unlikeable unnameable person so idk what I’m supposed to do about

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending