The Student Room Group

I am American..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Cassandra_Z
Your right. I got heated up from a different thread and now that I am calmer I must say that I do regret in a way posting this thread. I was never exposed to such a thing as being called an idiot for being American, but now that I have already read a few opinions I believe it's time for me to stop this post.

I certainly haven't called you an idiot and I don't think anybody else has either.

Just because we dislike some people from your country and the policies your leaders follow doesn't mean we automatically feel the same way about you.
Reply 41
Original post by Eldedu
For the good of the general public, I'm posting it.

You posted it wrong, you are meant to copy and paste after the "v=", not the full link, like this

[youtube ] 9JnDY2Gv5YQ (without space of course)

Good thing I could see the link when I quoted you :biggrin:
Reply 42
Original post by Bellrosk
I know but the tone of what you have written thus far indicates that you are completely dumbfounded at the realization that some people bash your homeland. This blundering ignorance is perhaps seen as atypical of yanks and perhaps contributes to why you're not popular as you believe yourself to be.

In reality there's no real historic/cultural value to anti-American sentiment in the UK. Most people are indifferent and in fact quite like aspects of the States, and those that bash it really don't mean that much harm. I wouldn't worry yourself about it, spend your time researching real international conflicts (the Arab-Israeli conflict for example).

EDIT: Oh and I never said 'the Japanese don't like the Russians'. I said that there will be some Japanese who don't like Russians. Just as some people don't like chocolate. The chances are there are bound to be people of one nationality who dislike others.

To be honest i never thought about the U.S. being popular and what not. It was just that I had never actually come across people who would bash me for being American. I've had an upbringing where I wasn't exposed to international affairs, travels, or to any topics concerning other countries so I am quite naive in that area and am actually quite happy with everyone's comments (harsh or not).

I shouldn't exactly blame my ignorance on my town or where I grew up at, but I really wasn't exposed to these topics or situations.
Reply 43
I've always wanted to go America and travel around it since I was like 6 years old. :moon:

Having learnt how corrupt their government is, don't know if I could live there anymore :frown:

But going to America has always been a dream of mine...
Reply 44
Original post by Eldedu
I certainly haven't called you an idiot and I don't think anybody else has either.

Just because we dislike some people from your country and the policies your leaders follow doesn't mean we automatically feel the same way about you.

Sorry, I should have noted that I was bashed really hard in a different thread. Being called an idiot and having people tell me they wouldn't listen to anything I wrote because of where I live.
Reply 45
To be honest i never thought about the U.S. being popular and what not. It was just that I had never actually come across people who would bash me for being American. I've had an upbringing where I wasn't exposed to international affairs, travels, or to any topics concerning other countries so I am quite naive in that area and am actually quite happy with everyone's comments (harsh or not).

I shouldn't exactly blame my ignorance on my town or where I grew up at, but I really wasn't exposed to these topics or situations.

'I've had an upbringing where I wasn't exposed to international affairs, travels, or to any topics concerning other countries so I am quite naive in that area'. - This is the issue I know a lot of people have issues with.
Reply 46
Original post by Yawn11
I've always wanted to go America and travel around it since I was like 6 years old. :moon:

Having learnt how corrupt their government is, don't know if I could live there anymore :frown:

You should visit America ^_^..
I definitely can't make a comment about our government :/... I've learned to just shut up about it.
Reply 47
Sorry, I should have noted that I was bashed really hard in a different thread. Being called an idiot and having people tell me they wouldn't listen to anything I wrote because of where I live.

It's the internet. People who are small and weak suddenly feel big and powerful when you give them this kind of anonymity and they abuse that new power. Ignore them. You'll come across all sorts if you stick around long enough. If someone makes a valid argument or contribution pay attention to them, if they don't ignore them.
Reply 48
Original post by basketofsnakes

**** yeah

LMAO

what a terrible way to hold a gun, that kick would hurt a normal person. but i guess with all of that fat it probably feels good.
Reply 49
Everyone bashes everyone. People also resent the strongest nations, Britain used to get it a lot back in the day and still does from the Middle Eastern nations. So anti-Americanism is nothing new.

In the UK it tends to eminate from left wingers who prefer Europe to America, whereas right wingers tend to be very Atlanticist and pro-American.
Reply 50
Original post by Yawn11

Oh please. Like yours is any better.
Reply 51
Original post by B-Man.
Funny thing is that I hate you now that I have read your posts and opinions.

I'm sorry, but how can anybody take you seriously with a signature like that?

Trolls round here are getting worse and worse.
Reply 52
You should visit America ^_^..

I will do soon when I'm rolling in money. I love their accents, and I heard the ladies love our accents over there, so that's motivation :s-smilie:exface:

Original post by adam0311

Definitely not as bad as America's that's for sure. 9/11 is a good example of why.
Reply 53
Original post by B-Man.
Judging a book by it's cover?

It's not a nice feeling is it?

And yet you just did the same thing to Cassandra_Z. You read her posts on this thread (a total of around 10) and decided you hated her.

So don't talk to me about superficial judgement.
I didn't realize how much people from different countries absolutely hate and resent the country that I absolutely love until I came across a post in this student website.

I know I am going to get bashed for this post, but I am already aware of that and am fine with that fact since I just want to understand other countries views.

I am American and I do know that our country isn't the best, but I am still proud to be born and raised here. For all of those who dislike me just because I am one, all I have to say is that you should really travel to see our country, to meet people here our different communities and backgrounds, and just to get to know more us instead of bashing us head on. I apologize for my rambling on, but if you were in my position what would you think? say? or even do?

I want to know what you dislike about my country and why? Please don't be too harsh, I am not trying to insult or piss off anyone. I am merely asking the question to understand peoples views and hear different opinions.

PALESTINE.

Number of dead civilians: 6,430+
(Since Septemeber 2000)

IRAQ.

Number of dead civilians: 66,000+

AFGHANISTAN.

Number of dead civilians: 14,000+

IRAN.

Number of dead civilians: TBC...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by Eldedu

Conservative Libertarian

Con = convict

Li = lie

Arian = Aryan

Bert = LOL

That made me laugh so much

He was pretty accurate on the imitation tbh.
Reply 56
I withdraw myself from the conversation. If you would like to continue talking I am more than happy to, you just have to message me though.

As for this thread I plan on deleting it within two hours. Thank you everyone for your posts.

@B-man: Hate me all you want. It really doesn't effect me and it won't make me hate you in return. It's a discussion, I only signed up for this website to learn.. not to please you.
Original post by adam0311

It's much better.
Reply 58
Original post by ussumane
Conservative Libertarian

Con = convict

Li = lie

Arian = Aryan

Bert = LOL

That made me laugh so much

He was pretty accurate on the imitation tbh.

Hahaha yeah "who could that be...I don't know...JESUS?"
Reply 59
Original post by Yawn11
I will do soon when I'm rolling in money. I love their accents, and I heard the ladies love our accents over there, so that's motivation :s-smilie:exface:

Oh my! Lol alot of women do like a European accent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending