The Student Room Group

I am American..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Texan88
Shut it you know you love us Americans :sexface:

LMAO.. why do I have a feeling someone is going to bash on that statement?
Reply 81
Original post by Cassandra_Z
LMAO.. why do I have a feeling someone is going to bash on that statement?

I was talking directly to flower as she is a good friend of mine :colondollar: there really is no way to bash it.... Either way I have gotten used to the american bashing on this forum, and it is not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be.
Reply 82
Original post by Eldedu
It's what you say, not how you spell it :smile:

1.) I haven't said anything about your women. And have you already forgotten Timothy McVeigh? Ok he wasn't religious but he was a nutjob.

2.) Glad we agree.

3.) Easy on the insults. Irak had nothing to do with 9/11. NOTHING. 9/11, to quote Family Guy (it may be a cartoon but this quote is 100% fact) was it "a bunch of Saudi Arabians, Lebanese, and Egyptians financed by a Saudi Arabian guy living in Afghanistan and sheltered by Pakistanis".

4.) Wrong again. For whatever reasons they had, Bush won the 2004 elections by popular vote with a 2.5% margin (he did not win by popular vote in 2000 against Al Gore).

5.) I'm thinking the Americans I see. I don't know their ethnicity, but they are not good ambassadors for your nation. Can you blame me for judging based on what I've experienced?

6.) FIBA World Cup 2006. US Team gets eliminated in semi finals against Greece. Wins bronze medal. Instead of waiting until the awards ceremony the next day after the final, the US Team, angered by its loss, takes its medals, gets on a plane and leaves. There's an example for you.

7.) The fact that you haven't heard of him increases my respect for you but also makes me wonder if you know what's going on in your country.

8.) I'm sorry, but the VP is a factor in people's votes. A lot of Dem's deserted Obama for more moderate ground when he chose Biden. A lot of far right Republicans rallied round to McCain when he chose Palin. Don't try to pretend she didn't influence the voting process.

9.) Your government may have no qualms, but do some Americans not protest about immigrants (not illegal or legal, just immigrants) taking jobs and not paying taxes? Because as far as I do know they do indeed protest about these things.

10.) Julian Assange. Wikileaks. US diplomatic cables. Google it. If you have any respect for freedom of speech you'll be shocked. No compromising information was leaked, noone will die as a result. The ACLU is not involved because he is not an American citizen.

11.) Communism is also a swearword in your country. I tend to be economically centre-right and socially liberal, but to me communism is a theory with good intentions and a few flaws. It is certainly not Hell. Why is this the case in the US? Whatever the reason, I don't like it.

You have failed to disprove any of my points, so as far as I can see, my facts are pretty straight.

1) I used the stereotype to make a point, I am aware you didn't mention women. If Tim McVeigh wasn't religious, how is he relevent to your statement? I agree we have some fanatics, as every country does.

2) =)

3) Sadam Hussen. member of Al Quida and dictator of Iraq. We initialy went to Iraq to get him, although the initial goal was incredibly distroted along the way. I can't speak for Afganistan. I don't know what is going on there.

4)ahh I stand corrected. I got the two mixed up

5) I can't blame you, I was just defending the majority

6) Athlete's are cooky. I play soccer and soccer players specifically are a little cookier than the rest. That display was just plain shameful, yet are you really going to say that the whole country is sore loser based off of that alone?

7) I know what is going on in my country based on the news mainly.

8) I wasn't saying that it wasn't a factor, I just meant that intelligent voters realize that a VP does nothing and shouldn't be a factor idealy. Than again, I would argue most people are not intelligent voters so I will give this one to you.

9) When times are rough people look for scapegoats in minority groups. This happens all over the world, not just in America. The economy is down, so people blame minorities. Need I remind you of Hitler and WW2? That is the most prominent example I can think of.

10) I am not shocked. he isn't a US citizen so the rights granted in the constitutuion and Bill of rights don't apply to him. Plus the article I found said he "violated US secrecy laws". If they can prove he broke the law, why not! I am not well read on the issue however so I can't comment on more than what I just read. It also says he raped 2 women in sweden. If they can prove that, the guy should be arrested!

11) communism is a eutopia that, according to the theory, can only be acheived through a bloody and violent revolution. People are afraid of the bloody and violent revolution.

Many of these points are double sided and subjective. Neither side is particularly wrong in my opinion and I can see where you are coming from.
Reply 83
Original post by Texan88
I was talking directly to flower as she is a good friend of mine :colondollar: there really is no way to bash it.... Either way I have gotten used to the american bashing on this forum, and it is not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be.

Aww I see! Mm yes I am definitely over it now. ^_^
Reply 84
America's been getting too much TSR attention today :colonhash:

Obvious solution is to ban all americans.

Spoiler

Original post by adam0311
Honestly I could really care less what others think.

Reply 86
I'm an American. I love a lot of things about the my country--actually, I love a lot of things about the East Coast/tri-state area. I live right outside NYC and I couldn't ask for a better place to grow up. I have an entire world of opportunity in my backyard. It's quite fantastic, really.

My parents are immigrants from two completely different countries. My closest friends are Indian, Filipino, Irish, Korean, Italian and Eastern European. I love America's diversity--I love the NYC area's tolerance and promotion of equality.

I love my country's contributions to literature, film and theatre. I can go on and on and on about the great things about this place.

Anyway, about the stupid people. There are stupid people in every country--ours just get put on TV because the U.S. is all media. Perhaps we might have a larger percentage of imbeciles, but I promise, the majority of the country is sane. The majority also doesn't vote. Idiots tend to vote--unfortunately. (We're working on getting the smart people excited enough about politics to vote. It's all turning into a charade--nobody even seems to care.) Anyway, it's quite frustrating to be put in the same category as absolute ****ing idiots.

I'm studying abroad at UEA next semester. One of my main goals is to give the U.S. a better name abroad. I'd like to think I'm not stupid.
Reply 87
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow

Lmao owned.
Reply 88
By the way, as I'm reading through this thread, I'm disturbed by some comments made by Brits AND Americans. Please, people, read history. Read the newspaper. Take a government class.
Reply 89
Original post by nadiasarah
I'm an American. I love a lot of things about the my country--actually, I love a lot of things about the East Coast/tri-state area. I live right outside NYC and I couldn't ask for a better place to grow up. I have an entire world of opportunity in my backyard. It's quite fantastic, really.

My parents are immigrants from two completely different countries. My closest friends are Indian, Filipino, Irish, Korean, Italian and Eastern European. I love America's diversity--I love the NYC area's tolerance and promotion of equality.

I love my country's contributions to literature, film and theatre. I can go on and on and on about the great things about this place.

Anyway, about the stupid people. There are stupid people in every country--ours just get put on TV because the U.S. is all media. Perhaps we might have a larger percentage of imbeciles, but I promise, the majority of the country is sane. The majority also doesn't vote. Idiots tend to vote--unfortunately. (We're working on getting the smart people excited enough about politics to vote. It's all turning into a charade--nobody even seems to care.) Anyway, it's quite frustrating to be put in the same category as absolute ****ing idiots.

I'm studying abroad at UEA next semester. One of my main goals is to give the U.S. a better name abroad. I'd like to think I'm not stupid.

I absolutely love your post!
Reply 90
I absolutely love your post!

Woot.

Whereabouts in the U.S. are you from?
Reply 91
I'm in America right now and it's nothing special. I used to think America was wonderland.

I prefer my home, Great Britain. I prefer the food, clothes, TV, people, history.

I used to think the UK was a **** hole. But now travelling here, i'm starting to appreciate my home land.

Edit - Oh, and the British are more intelligent than the Americans. The Americans do some pretty retarded **** sometimes. :facepalm2:
(edited 13 years ago)

What a shame those 66,000+ innocent Iraqi civilians that your country killed don't get the same chance to enjoy all those things :rolleyes:

18% of Americans think Obama is a Muslim.
Reply 93
Woot.

Whereabouts in the U.S. are you from?

Born and raised in Alaska. :smile: I take classes through ASU. I know, not exactly at the peak of the list of top universities in the U.S., but I am paying my own way through school so I have to work with what I have.
I'm an international student studying in the USA, and I was asked by a lot of people about what my country and the general global public thought of America.

Nosey - sticks their nose into other countries' business when it's really none of theirs
Thinks they're so big - everybody else has to disarm except America
Ignorant - 'nuff said

However, I have to say that after 3.5 years living here, I like it here. It's not the best place in the world, but it's a heck of a lot better than where I'm from
Reply 95
Original post by jumpingjesusholycow
What a shame those 66,000+ innocent Iraqi civilians that your country killed don't get the same chance to enjoy all those things :rolleyes:

18% of Americans think Obama is a Muslim.

1. Hi. I'm not condoning the Iraq War. Never did I say I was. Have I AND my family been against it since its inception? Absolutely. Have many people? Hell yes.

Many people's biggest issue in dealing with people across the world is separating politics from population. The politics of Iran do not represent the culture of the people. The politics of the United States do not represent the collective whole, culture of the American people. Not when less than 40% of the population even votes. Like I said, voter excitement, is something we're working on here, as they are in most countries.

2. Add up the population of the rural isolated folk in the Midwest and Deep South. Probably around 18%.
Reply 96
Born and raised in Alaska. :smile: I take classes through ASU. I know, not exactly at the peak of the list of top universities in the U.S., but I am paying my own way through school so I have to work with what I have.

"I love Alaska and I'm never going back to America again!"

Kudos if you can catch the reference. :wink:
Reply 97
Original post by strawberry
it's a heck of a lot better than where I'm from

Where are you from?
Original post by Yawn11
Where are you from?

Malaysia.
Reply 99
Original post by strawberry
Malaysia.