I am American..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
In other News.......

A Sikh Man nearly beaten to death in the US and passengers called him Bin Laden

America, **** Yeah

:indiff:
Reply 181
I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know if this has been said already, but a lot of it is the fact that generally British people and Americans are just very different people in the way they view their country and the way they're brought up to talk about it and themselves. That makes a lot of Americans come across as brash and over-confident and insanely patriotic.

Stephen Fry said it pretty well here:

There is one phrase I probably heard more than any other on my travels: Only in America!
If you were to hear a Briton say ‘Tch! only in Britain, eh?’ it would probably refer to something that was either predictable, miserable, oppressive, dull, bureaucratic, queuey, damp, spoil-sporty or incompetent or a mixture of all of those. ‘Only in America!’ on the other hand, always refers to something shocking, amazing, eccentric, wild, weird or unpredictable. Americans are constantly being surprised by their own country. Britons are constantly having their worst fears confirmed about theirs. This seems to be one of the major differences between us.
Original post by Cassandra_Z
I get where your coming from, but really we have an electoral college. We don't exactly have the democracy like everyone believes it to be. Our government isn't perfect and in alot of ways I know our society isn't either, but for someone to bash another immediately because of the country that I live in is ridiculous to me. And believe me I know alot of U.S. citizens are also guilty, but if I heard another American doing the same thing to another person from a different country I would tell them to stop also.

Although they may say it, people generally never hate anyone because of their country of origin. I loved America while I was there, but I despise the whole political scene etc. which gives me a negative impression. However, I will never use that as a reason to dislike an American, I know a lot are nothing like the typical stereotype (i.e. fox "news" viewer! - off topic but how on earth do they get away with the "fair and balanced" tagline?).
Reply 183
Original post by Aurora.
I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know if this has been said already, but a lot of it is the fact that generally British people and Americans are just very different people in the way they view their country and the way they're brought up to talk about it and themselves. That makes a lot of Americans come across as brash and over-confident and insanely patriotic.

Stephen Fry said it pretty well here:

I agree. :/
You're american, be proud and disregard people that dislike you and acquire currency to better yourself.

I'm sure every nationality is hated by some other nationality in the world, ah well. Lots of countries seem to hate America and Americans but ya can't please everyone
Reply 185
Original post by callum9999

Original post by callum9999
Although they may say it, people generally never hate anyone because of their country of origin. I loved America while I was there, but I despise the whole political scene etc. which gives me a negative impression. However, I will never use that as a reason to dislike an American, I know a lot are nothing like the typical stereotype (i.e. fox "news" viewer! - off topic but how on earth do they get away with the "fair and balanced" tagline?).

The Fox News Channel is actually a very controversal topic here. My boss' first words to me when he hired me (I work in a cafe) was that I could put the television on any channel except the Fox News Channel because he believes that they are liars and manipulating viewers to increase their profit.
Reply 186
Original post by lukejoshjedi
You're american, be proud and disregard people that dislike you and acquire currency to better yourself.

I'm sure every nationality is hated by some other nationality in the world, ah well. Lots of countries seem to hate America and Americans but ya can't please everyone

Very True. I was actually planning on deleting this thread because it was pointless rambling on my part and it didn't do anyone any good.
Reply 187
Well, I don't hate Americans, not even dislike them, but generally I have got a couple of American friends and yeah, you are quite ignorant. :s-smilie: I don't mean everyone, but a lot of people, I reckon. I don't say that Europeans are more knowledgeable or something though.

Epic (jks) :biggrin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q566ys0sqVQ
(edited 13 years ago)
I didn't realize how much people from different countries absolutely hate and resent the country that I absolutely love until I came across a post in this student website.

I know I am going to get bashed for this post, but I am already aware of that and am fine with that fact since I just want to understand other countries views.

I am American and I do know that our country isn't the best, but I am still proud to be born and raised here. For all of those who dislike me just because I am one, all I have to say is that you should really travel to see our country, to meet people here our different communities and backgrounds, and just to get to know more us instead of bashing us head on. I apologize for my rambling on, but if you were in my position what would you think? say? or even do?

I want to know what you dislike about my country and why? Please don't be too harsh, I am not trying to insult or piss off anyone. I am merely asking the question to understand peoples views and hear different opinions.

we hate you because you live in a Democracy have the power to change your leaders yet keep electing ***** and your Military rapes the world, you care more about Lady Gaga than US Drone bombings

Also you may be a decent person, but wackos like Sarah Palin and parts of the Tea Party are the majority

If you lived in a dictatorship we wouldn't blame you, but you live in a democracy and all take collective blame
Well I for one admire the US,in fact I wish they'd invade this country and install a puppet government to do their bidding.This country is rapidly approaching third world status and if our politicians have their way we'll be a europes b1tch anyway.

Not entirely do I like every single thing about america,but I admire their sense of patrotism, american exceptionalism, and what to many is bull headed thinking about them being the best. I prefer their news stations ,than the communist BBC, sure you yanks have mscbc, which is also far left, but atleast you are not paying for it and if you refuse to pay you get the bbc's stasi knocking on your door demanding money or they have you in court.

But fox is excellent, with entertaining commentators, with a conservative theme as well as hot blonde babes with law degrees bashing liberals! And you have great talk radio over there as well with commentators such as dr michael savage showing up the autism con for what it is, and explaining why liberalism is a mental disorder.I would love him to debate our traitor george galloway.

I even prefer your version of the office, to the brits one. Iam excited about the tea party movement, a movement which really shows americans are mad as hell and won't take it anymore. They are trying to copy it here,but the majority of brits are weak and lazy and just take the unfairness, coming from the liberal elite who run this country.

And also,it's great how you guys have shown obama for what he is, completely out of his depth,lacking real intellect and an affirmative action president. He will be a one term president, he reminds me awfully of blair in some ways,but unlike us, you guys will get rid of him, and he can go organise some urban projects. which is all he is capable of.
I didn't realize how much people from different countries absolutely hate and resent the country that I absolutely love until I came across a post in this student website.

I know I am going to get bashed for this post, but I am already aware of that and am fine with that fact since I just want to understand other countries views.

I am American and I do know that our country isn't the best, but I am still proud to be born and raised here. For all of those who dislike me just because I am one, all I have to say is that you should really travel to see our country, to meet people here our different communities and backgrounds, and just to get to know more us instead of bashing us head on. I apologize for my rambling on, but if you were in my position what would you think? say? or even do?

I want to know what you dislike about my country and why? Please don't be too harsh, I am not trying to insult or piss off anyone. I am merely asking the question to understand peoples views and hear different opinions.

I love america and americans :smile: just saying :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 191
Original post by James10000
we hate you because you live in a Democracy have the power to change your leaders yet keep electing ***** and your Military rapes the world, you care more about Lady Gaga than US Drone bombings

Also you may be a decent person, but wackos like Sarah Palin and parts of the Tea Party are the majority

If you lived in a dictatorship we wouldn't blame you, but you live in a democracy and all take collective blame

Only a portion of the U.S. population likes Lady Gaga and that portion is mainly young teenagers or young adults. I do not necessarily like her, but to say that we are all exactly alike and think alike is irrational. As for Sarah Palin, I should be one amongst the group of people who have the right to dislike her the most since she abandoned our state for selfish reasons.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to argue and I really don't mean to sound rude.
Reply 192
Original post by Ministerdonut
Well I for one admire the US,in fact I wish they'd invade this country and install a puppet government to do their bidding.This country is rapidly approaching third world status and if our politicians have their way we'll be a europes b1tch anyway.

Not entirely do I like every single thing about america,but I admire their sense of patrotism, american exceptionalism, and what to many is bull headed thinking about them being the best. I prefer their news stations ,than the communist BBC, sure you yanks have mscbc, which is also far left, but atleast you are not paying for it and if you refuse to pay you get the bbc's stasi knocking on your door demanding money or they have you in court.

But fox is excellent, with entertaining commentators, with a conservative theme as well as hot blonde babes with law degrees bashing liberals! And you have great talk radio over there as well with commentators such as dr michael savage showing up the autism con for what it is, and explaining why liberalism is a mental disorder.I would love him to debate our traitor george galloway.

I even prefer your version of the office, to the brits one. Iam excited about the tea party movement, a movement which really shows americans are mad as hell and won't take it anymore. They are trying to copy it here,but the majority of brits are weak and lazy and just take the unfairness, coming from the liberal elite who run this country.

And also,it's great how you guys have shown obama for what he is, completely out of his depth,lacking real intellect and an affirmative action president. He will be a one term president, he reminds me awfully of blair in some ways,but unlike us, you guys will get rid of him, and he can go organise some urban projects. which is all he is capable of.

May I know where you live?
As for the BBC, wow I did not know they actually did that and was funded by the people? I actually watch the channel from time to time, but not for any news. One time I was watching a show where a man created a house completely made of legos. I know, kind of something a child should watch, but I grew up building with the things so I liked it.
I cannot say anything about Obama.
Original post by jolteon
generaliziationing!

Please stop making up words.
Reply 194
Original post by GeographyEllie

Original post by GeographyEllie
I love america and americans :smile: just saying :smile:

Haha, we love you back in return. ^_^
Reply 195
Original post by adam0311
Thank you. Your the first person to recognize the distinction between the two.

Thanks, I try to view everything through a humane perspective. Let me elaborate what I said earlier in this post. So America's economy is in a crisis, money needed to recover the economy is being spent on war - in Iraq and Afghanistan. The American leaders took the nation to war with Iraq, which they suspected to find WMD's, but never did, surprisingly! Imo, this was an illegal war, since USA just wanted to topple Iraq's economy and steal its resources(NOTE: more civilians were killed in this war than the actual opposition). USA also shortly before, took military action against the terrorists in Afghanistan.
Altogether BILLIONS are being spent on these wars (which come from the tax payers money), yet the American government won't spent a penny (or should i say cent lol) on recovering the economy, or if they will, it's not enough - the working class in America is suffering huge consequences.

Remember, in all of this its the American government who is responsible - not it's people. Obama promised 'change', were is your change now Obama? You are just as worse as Bush and we should give him the benefit of the doubt just because of his skin colour.

Quite a lot issues mentions here, feel free to diagree. :smile:
Original post by ChrisBan

For point 11, so you are a fan of the current healthcare system then? Does this make half of Europe a communist state then?

I said move towards communism. No, I do not approve of the healthcare system, but the preceeding one wasn't much better
Original post by lovely_me

1) Ignoring extremities, on a general scale, the U.S is far more religious than the average Brit or European. The statistics prove it.

2) It wasn't in retaliation to 9/11, if it was why wait two years? Face it, it was all about the oil and personal ideologies. You did the same thing with Vietnam 50 years ago, and still haven't learned your lesson. :rolleyes:

3) She was voted for to be Governor of Alaska. She must have a considerable chance of becoming the President, or believe me she would not run for it.

4) I find it embarrassing when Americans spurt out a list of all their different ethnicities. My Grandparent's are Irish and believe me, most Irish hate it when Americans say 'I'm Irish'. No you're not you're American you fat morons.

5) Omg...are these seriously the people we are dealing with? And you claim towards being one of the educated ones. It's unbelievable it really is. :zomg:

1) I was not saying there were more religious people in other parts of the world. I was saying that there are many more religious fanatics in other parts of the world as compared to America

2) There honestly isn't enough evidence to prove or disprove either side, so I am not going to try. You may take the cynical conspiracy-theory route if you choose.

3) How many people live in Alaska and what types of jobs do most of these people hold?

4) Why would it embarass you? and people are proud of their heritage. If it annoys you, than tough ****.

5) I stand by that. Our country was built on free-enterprise, and I am all for helpign the poor but it comes to a point when it has to stop and people need to support themselves.
Original post by Allie-23
I said move towards communism. No, I do not approve of the healthcare system, but the preceeding one wasn't much better

I'm quite aware you said move towards communism.

I'm still confused. What would you rather have... a completely free market health care system where if you got the money, then thats great... but if you don't, you're rejected treatment. Or a system where those who can afford to, pay for their own treatment, and those who can't, receive government assistance?
Reply 199
I get where your coming from, but really we have an electoral college. We don't exactly have the democracy like everyone believes it to be. Our government isn't perfect and in alot of ways I know our society isn't either, but for someone to bash another immediately because of the country that I live in is ridiculous to me. And believe me I know alot of U.S. citizens are also guilty, but if I heard another American doing the same thing to another person from a different country I would tell them to stop also.

:rolleyes: I greatly respect that and many others will do to .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending