The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by around
Quantum Mechanics makes no sense. I am so ****ed.

It's rubbish. I had the third sheet due in today, but I haven't finished it. I just can't bring myself to look at the last 3 questions (and the notes I haven't read).
QM is lovely, though sometimes I feel like i'm alone with this view...
Reply 5502
Original post by ForGreatJustice
QM is lovely, though sometimes I feel like i'm alone with this view...

Nope. I've really gotten into QM and Methods this term... thanks in part to excellent supervisors, but also to a more broad view about what I like in maths.
I love QM, but them i'm a dirty physicist at heart.

Out of interest, are the maths based QM courses people here do (as opposed to physics) very much solely focusing on the mathematical side of things?
So. Much. Snow.
Trains out of Edinburgh cancelled, and the remaining ones delayed, the journey itself took 15 minutes longer than it should've from the weather, got to Durham to find OH YES MORE SNOW, battled to my house via a friend's house (for a cup of tea and a change of socks) only to walk through a deceptively deep puddle two minutes after leaving their house thus negating all usefulness of the sock change, eventually got to my house to find a two foot high block of snow in front of the steps to my house, and that gutters had fallen off the roof from the weight of the snow.

Lecture attendance tomorrow is looking unlikely.
Reply 5505
Original post by assmaster
So. Much. Snow.
Trains out of Edinburgh cancelled, and the remaining ones delayed, the journey itself took 15 minutes longer than it should've from the weather, got to Durham to find OH YES MORE SNOW, battled to my house via a friend's house (for a cup of tea and a change of socks) only to walk through a deceptively deep puddle two minutes after leaving their house thus negating all usefulness of the sock change, eventually got to my house to find a two foot high block of snow in front of the steps to my house, and that gutters had fallen off the roof from the weight of the snow.

Lecture attendance tomorrow is looking unlikely.

You were in Edinburgh?
Please tell me trains going northwards aren't getting cancelled...
Original post by Slumpy
You were in Edinburgh?
Please tell me trains going northwards aren't getting cancelled...

Yeah, I went to Edinburgh to see Vampire Weekend - they played last night.
Trains going south were getting cancelled. Going up was fine... as long as you don't mind staying there.
I was in Edinburgh today for a debating competition that was cancelled, trains were fine pretty much everywhere *shrugs*
Reply 5508
Original post by assmaster
Yeah, I went to Edinburgh to see Vampire Weekend - they played last night.
Trains going south were getting cancelled. Going up was fine... as long as you don't mind staying there.

Original post by Meteorshower
I was in Edinburgh today for a debating competition that was cancelled, trains were fine pretty much everywhere *shrugs*

Cool.
Cheers, my going home is somewhat dependent on trains still going next tuesday...
lol. Reliable but slow coach?
Reply 5510
Original post by DeanK22
lol. Reliable but slow coach?

Already have (very cheap) train tickets, hence I wouldn't like to change my method of going home now!
The end is nigh - vacation beckons.
Original post by DeanK22
The end is nigh - vacation beckons.

sadface.jpg

I genuinely don't want to go home at all.
Original post by ste0731
Poor people will get grants to cover everything, it's the middle class as always that get pooped on. But some people have to suffer, thats the way life is.

Your first sentence is amazing. State-paid means-tested grants are available to poorer students for maintenance (and rightly so). But there are no such grants for tuition fees (although there should be).

A swingeingly progressive income tax plus mandatory maintenance and tuition fee grants for everyone, would be better.
Original post by Glutamic Acid
That's brought up my phobia of a "lack of closing bracket". In an examples class or lecture too many opening brackets makes me itch to get up and draw one on the board.

What's an examples class?? (Sorry, but I don't know!)
Original post by ambience
What's an examples class?? (Sorry, but I don't know!)

Extra classes put on by our college (John's) usually given by teaching fellows.
SKI TRIP SKI TRIP SKI TRIP WOOOOOOOO

lowercase stuff
Reply 5517
Liquid Nitrogen is awesome.
Original post by Glutamic Acid
Extra classes put on by our college (John's) usually given by teaching fellows.

Thanks! Do you have a class on each example sheet that's given out at lectures? Or are the examples different but on the same material, i.e. on 6 hours worth of lectures?

I haven't heard of anything like that at Robinson or Lucy Cavendish :frown:

How many colleges run example classes? They sound very useful, especially if usually run by teaching fellows. I'd wondered what someone meant when she referred to a notation that was used at Trinity :smile:
Original post by ambience
I haven't heard of anything like that at Robinson

Doesn't surprise me, they only took two mathmos this year, wouldn't be that much point. Very few of the colleges run these examples classes.

Quick Reply

Latest