The Student Room Group

NSPCC Campaign on facebook : to stop violence against children

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Guvnor
It's a campaign to stop violence against children. If you don't want to take part that's fine, but I'm sure there will be plenty of others like myself who would like to take part for these kids, not much of a bid deal to change your profile pic now is it ?

To show appreciation to those kids out there, that someone somewhere cares :smile: just my two cents.

a. This is nothing to do with the NSPCC
b. This will, in no way, shape or form do anything to show an abused kid that "someone cares"

If you want to change your profile picture to that of a childhood TV character then I don't begrudge you this but can't you do it without the ridiculous pretences that it will, somehow, make a difference?
Original post by darkwolf0139
Gatomon's butt. Probably another one of his crazy chemes to get Kari to like him.

I know right! They only have the first 15 episodes of the first season on DVD and nothing other than that. They really should release them for us faithful fans :P

I bet they did but the pokemon fans got jealous and destroyed them...should we become allies in order to fight the pokemon fans who want to beat Digimon? :lol: Just kidding, that would be weird.
the moomins
Original post by NaturalDisaster
I bet they did but the pokemon fans got jealous and destroyed them...should we become allies in order to fight the pokemon fans who want to beat Digimon? :lol: Just kidding, that would be weird.

Yeah I think so. I mean I love Digimon and all and think it's way better than Pokemon but do you really think we can survive against all those Poke-fans? :afraid:
Original post by darkwolf0139
Yeah I think so. I mean I love Digimon and all and think it's way better than Pokemon but do you really think we can survive against all those Poke-fans? :afraid:

I'm not sure that we can. You're my only ally so far. :lol: Nobody else cares about Digimon, and it's so much better than pokemon! It has a proper plot, for starters. And cooler hats.
it's a *******s campaign, it isn't going to change anything. It isn't going to raise any more awareness because people are already aware! It isn't going to show abused children that people care about them, because it a) won't change their situation one iota, and b) how much computer time do you think abused children actually get, in order to look on facebook?

I would LOVE to be able to post a little picture of the little mermaid, and think "somewhere out there, this mermaid is saving a battered child" but it's just not true really is it.

If other people want to change their avatar, that's fine, I have no problem with it, but it just won't change anything that's all. It's futile.

Far better for people to post a link to a donation page instead, as their status, and set an example by donating some money themselves also, instead of becoming a cartoon character for the weekend. That would be much more productive.
Original post by Emmie3303
I've changed mine to William Wish Wellington :smile:.

On the donation form on the question where it asks what prompted you to donate one of the options is 'Facebook'; the NSPCC must be anticipating some sort of influx of donations because campaigns like this raise awareness.

OMG I totally forgot about this! I'm so youtubing and hunting down videos in a minute.

Original post by xnatalie01x
Yeah, I changed it to both of them after about 5 minutes of Belle heh.

I love the Beast...it's probably my favourite Disney film actually :biggrin:

Same! Is it quite weird that I prefer the Beast to the Prince? :colondollar:
Original post by gbduo
Lol! I think you have to be a bit of a computer geek/4chan fan to get it!

Yea, one of my mates afterwards changed his to trollface.jpg

It's not as good though because the point of having a pedophile bear that loves CP as the help for the children's charity was the hilarious part...

So far the count is 3 people that get it and 3 people that have asked who it is. I only reckon 1 more person out of my whole friends list will get it though...

I... may have used to go on 4chan...... Maybe....
Reply 208
Original post by MHorman
Yea, one of my mates afterwards changed his to trollface.jpg

It's not as good though because the point of having a pedophile bear that loves CP as the help for the children's charity was the hilarious part...

So far the count is 3 people that get it and 3 people that have asked who it is. I only reckon 1 more person out of my whole friends list will get it though...

I... may have used to go on 4chan...... Maybe....

Lol I thought the irony of it was brilliant! To most people they will just think, awww cute bear! The real meaning is much more sinister, but the wit is first class!

I think the pedophile bear website is brilliant, I never knew you could make CP funny...until looking at the website! So so wrong, but it did make me laugh!

Everyone has surely been on 4chan at some point in their lives, /b is the best!
What I don't get with all the moaning is....surely if even one person donates as a result of this (e.g. I have, someone else in this thread has, friends have...), even if it's only £1 each - is that not making enough of a difference for it to be worthwhile?

Plus, all these people moaning - if you say changing your picture achieves nothing - well not changing it achieves even less and makes it seem like you don't support the cause because you aren't willing to click a coupla times to potentially make even the smallest bit of difference.

Just my two cents.
I changed mine to Beavis and Butthead which raised many an eyebrow. But I do think actually donating money to the NSPCC would be better no?
Reply 211
I changed mine to the best Powerpuff Girl :smug:
Buttercup ofc.
Original post by secret_smile

My all time favourite :biggrin:

I think he was probably particularly cruel to children. :smile:
i understand the fact that it's apparently about raising awareness, but there are definitely other ways to go about it, this is not going to do anything at all to help the poor kids out there who are being abused! They may not even appreciate it, I know that if I was on the other end of it (and have been) if i was even allowed on facebook, then it wouldn't make me happy that people had cartoons as pictures to help me, it would make me wish that if people really did care, why don't they do something about it? And why is it still happening?

I believe the NSPCC is a very good charity, and support it fully, but not in silly gimics like this, because they won't do anything to help. Child abuse is something I feel very very strongly about, so it's not like I don't care, I just want something more done about it, than changing profile pictures.

No abusive parent is going to go: "I was going to hit my kid around the head with this object in my hand, but everyone on facebook changed their profile pictures to cartoons, so I don't think I will actually, have a hug instead kid, I love you."
Reply 214
I think if anyone truly believes this is a official campaign by the NSPCC they deserve to be shot at dawn.
Original post by lozz2601
if you say changing your picture achieves nothing - well not changing it achieves even less

how do you achieve less than nothing? :s-smilie:

if you achieve nothing by changing your picture....by not changing it, you're still achieving nothing, are you not?

nothing is nothing is nothing
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
how do you achieve less than nothing? :s-smilie:

if you achieve nothing by changing your picture....by not changing it, you're still achieving nothing, are you not?

nothing is nothing is nothing

Please don't just pick at my phrasing; it's late! I actually geniunely want to understand what the problem is with it.

(I've probably spelt something wrong as well and the above point stands!)
I can honestly tell you that this will not work. It will not stop me from abusing kids.

What I don't get is that I have seen a few people mention that it is to show appreciation. Appreciation for what? Appreciation for the wonderful service they are providing the country? They are being beaten so that we don't have to be beaten. Everyone has a part to play and a role to fill. I'm sure it will make them feel better next time they are being beat to death to know that some smug self-righteous do-gooders on Facebook appreciate them. Hell, don't you think they're a bit sadistic for not acknowledging that appreciation?
Original post by lozz2601
Please don't just pick at my phrasing; it's late! I actually geniunely want to understand what the problem is with it.

(I've probably spelt something wrong as well and the above point stands!)

there's no problem. I don't think anybody actually has a PROBLEM with other people changing their avatars to cartoon characters. I don't give two hoots personally. I just think that as a campaign technique it's a pretty poor one. It doesn't raise awareness, it's just really rather futile. I think there are far better ways to help the NSPCC, that's all.

But live and let live, if people want to do it, fine, whatever!
Professor Oak (Y)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending