The Student Room Group

is this child abuse?

Scroll to see replies

Seriously though if you think this is bad parenting there's something wrong with you. It's snow, not caustic acid.
Original post by TheSownRose
I have news for people: kids like snow. I used to go out in winter in Austria with just an extra jumper and a hat on for added warmth, and have snowball fights without gloves.

Original post by jb9191
So first kids want snow and want to play in it.

Now someone lets their children play with snow its abuse.

Pathetic. To me that baby looks like he's having fun !
To be fair this is a baby who was technically placed to lay on the snow against his will. I know that sounds dramatic, but I think it is a fair difference from allowing a child that can walk to decide on their own to play in the snow.

Nevertheless I agree 9/10 kids love snow and this does not add up to child abuse. It depends on how long they left the child on the snow. Personally I wouldn't let my baby lay on snow, tarmac or anything other than the obvious (like table and bed) Its pointless and moronic. Simple as.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Reformed2010
To be fair this is a baby who was technically placed to lay on the snow against his will. I know that sounds dramatic, but I think it is a fair difference from allowing a child that can walk to decide on their own to play in the snow.

Nevertheless I agree 9/10 kids love snow and this does not add up to child abuse. It depends on how long they left the child on the snow. Personally I wouldn't let my baby lay on snow, tarmac or anything other than the obvious (like table and bed) Its pointless and moronic. Simple as.

What if he was dropped by a stalk? :eek:
There are places in siberia where people live and it drops to minus 50-60. The local nursery doesn't close until it's minus 55. That's right minus 55! So if children and babys are able to live in temreatures that turn boiling water into ice almost instantly, then i doubt anything will happen to this baby. So no it's not chuld abuse!
Original post by jb9191
What if he was dropped by a stalk? :eek:
Babies are fragile and need protecting. Don't try and paint me as some overprotective nanny. I am all for 'letting' children get cuts and bruises when they play. They have to be children. However this is a baby. Major difference. I've had to look after enough babies that age and laying them on snow was luckily never on my OK list.

Again there is a line between abuse, stupidity and harmless fun. This definitely borders on stupidity and harmless fun.
Reply 26
Overreaction much.

Well done to OP, there are too many "mommies" who have a mompetition over who the better mom is and feel they have to point out any potential parenting flaw, no matter how small.
Original post by Reformed2010
To be fair this is a baby who was technically placed to lay on the snow against his will. I know that sounds dramatic, but I think it is a fair difference from allowing a child that can walk to decide on their own to play in the snow. .

lol my baby screams blue murder when I give him a bath. He hates it, yet I give him baths anyway against his will.

I don't really see your point. As a parent, I have to do a lot of things to my children that is against their will. Even things that hurt them sometimes, like brushing my daughter's hair when she has a lot of tangles. Even brushing as carefully as possible doesn't stop the knots hurting when the brush pulls, there's no alternative really but to just get it done.

I guarantee you that brushing my kid's hair, and giving my baby a bath, upsets them more than that baby lying there for a few seconds in the snow.

I do get the point that the baby didn't HAVE to be lying in the snow, it was entirely preventable, but I don't actually think the kid is upset by it (a little surprised maybe by the look on his face, but he's not upset I don't think) because I very highly doubt it has done anything whatsoever to hurt him.

edited to add - I have never laid a baby on the snow personally, it does just seem a tad pointless, but it's not child abuse in my opinion.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
lol my baby screams blue murder when I give him a bath. He hates it, yet I give him baths anyway against his will.

I don't really see your point. As a parent, I have to do a lot of things to my children that is against their will. Even things that hurt them sometimes, like brushing my daughter's hair when she has a lot of tangles. Even brushing as carefully as possible doesn't stop the knots hurting when the brush pulls, there's no alternative really but to just get it done.

I guarantee you that brushing my kid's hair, and giving my baby a bath, upsets them more than that baby lying there for a few seconds in the snow.

I do get the point that the baby didn't HAVE to be lying in the snow, it was entirely preventable, but I don't actually think the kid is upset by it (a little surprised maybe by the look on his face, but he's not upset I don't think) because I very highly doubt it has done anything whatsoever to hurt him.

edited to add - I have never laid a baby on the snow personally, it does just seem a tad pointless, but it's not child abuse in my opinion.
I was narrowly comparing it to a young child wanting to go into the snow vs baby. Of course there are numerous of examples where children, even adults have to do something they technically rather opt out of. However in a lot of cases like some you highlighted, it is the sensible thing to do and to not do so would be very irrational, even harmful.

My point simply was there was no need to put the child down on the snow. So I find it a pointless and silly thing to do. But that is it me. If I saw a baby being placed laying down on tarmac to have its photo taken, I'd be shaking my head too. That's just me. I'm not saying its child abuse, just childish behaviour from parents. That's all.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
It's not abuse. The picture takers are idiots for taking the picture and showing it off on facebook though.
Abuse is usually with the direct intention of causing harm...stupid PC people! Of course it isn't abuse.
Reply 31
The kid's fine. Admittedly, if he was frozen to death he might look like that also, but I don't think parents would put up a pic of their dead son.
Reply 32
no it's not- but the fact he is called dominic could be seen as child abuse.
Reply 33
Original post by Broderss
Ever watched Happy Feet? Remember what happened to Mumble?

I haven't, but you've managed to spark my interest in what i thought was, at face level, a stupid penguin film.

I wanna see some messed up penguins.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=472018978647&set=a.471988258647.269914.124715648647

me thinks people are seriously over-reacting about this. The kid is bundled up really warmly, and it's clearly only for a few seconds to take a photograph. It's not like they buried him in snow.

Thoughts?

i love one of the comments, something along the lines of

'loving the baby's facial reaction. it's saying **** this is cold'
I think anyone who put pics of their kid on facebook is a moron anyway.
Reply 36
crazy that this is child abuse, of course it's not. also the parents are not moronic for putting their child in different places for pictures, a lot of people like to take photos of their children. shocking info??

Babies have a good way of letting people know something is wrong, so if he was uncomfortable at all i'm sure it would get picked up and hugged or whatever else he is after.

p.s. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=472018978647&set=a.471988258647.269914.124715648647#!/photo.php?fbid=472018933647&set=a.471988258647.269914.124715648647&pid=5375721&id=124715648647

something for rspca?
(edited 13 years ago)
I've seen plenty of babies being carried/pushed etc by so-called parents in this current cold snap with no hats on, no socks, little girls in floaty little dresses with no tights. The adults are all wrapped up in fleeces and stuff, but the babies are dressed how they might be inside a warm home, not out in -8º snow-bound Britain.

As others have said, that baby was probably laid there for a couple of seconds whilst they took the pic, and is otherwise very snug in his little romper suit IMHO. Typical knee-jerk reactionary toss for this country I'm afraid, and the emphasis on the JERK !
Reply 38
I'm guessing the baby would be crying if it was bothered?
Reply 39
Not abuse but a pretty stupid thing to do anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending