The Student Room Group

Student Housing - Bills Inclusive

Myself and 8 others managed to find a really nice 9 bedroom house (actually 10) for £60 each per week. The estate agents said that for bills to be included it would be an extra £10/week each. We aren't sure whether or not this is worth it?

Also we were told that glide could also do the bills, think they meant split the actual bill between us, then an extra 20 a month for tv license plus internet. Worth it?
Well, check around for what the prices of your bills (gas, electricity, water etc.) could be and compare it to the £100 a week (or £400 a month) that you would be paying. See if you can find anything for cheaper.

On the other hand, at least you won't have the extra hassle of paying bills and can just pay the rent, bills inclusive, in one lump sum.
I pay £88 a week (£385 a month) for a everything, bills included. The house is really nice, dishwasher, fitted kitchen, two bathrooms, a HD tv in the lounge and TV License with Sky+ HD, well furnished with a decent sized room.

I think that's about the right price for that, considering it's a fairly long walk (about half an hour) from uni.

So £70 a week is fine, though that completely depends on your personal finances and ability to pay.
Reply 3
Included bills= no worry about how much the electric/ gas is gonna be!! (some people will use more than others etc etc.....)

I wish my bills were included :o:
Original post by Kasc
Myself and 8 others managed to find a really nice 9 bedroom house (actually 10) for £60 each per week. The estate agents said that for bills to be included it would be an extra £10/week each. We aren't sure whether or not this is worth it?

Also we were told that glide could also do the bills, think they meant split the actual bill between us, then an extra 20 a month for tv license plus internet. Worth it?

Thats actually pretty cheap, especially considering that it probably has a nice big kitchen and living area if its a ten bedroom house! I was paying £73 a week last year in a 7 bedroom house, not including bills or anything. Then again it seems that student housing in Birmingham is quite a bit more expensive than in many other places! :/
But yeah sounds like a pretty sweet deal, go for it :smile:
Reply 5
It doesn't sound too bad. To be perfectly honest, having bills inclusive is a HUGE weight off your mind as:

1. you don't have to worry about chasing flatmates for money
2. you don't have to worry about having lots of heating over the winter
3. if a few flatmates have bad habits leaving TVs/computers/lights on then you don't have to worry about an inflated bill
4. there's no messing around with names on bill statements and mis-calculated estimates at the end of tenancy.

It's got to be worth it for the sake of a few quid.
(edited 13 years ago)
I'd go for included bills, no need to worry about heating etc. No money problems, £10 pw is good anyway, about what we paid in sept and ours has gone up a fair bit into winter. Check what it includes like internet etc, as for 9 of you, you;ll need a fast connection.
Reply 7
I'm currently in a house of 5 and we pay £4 a week each for Gas and Electricity and about £1 for O2 broadband. Water is about £1 a week.

I live with 2 girls who really aren't heating concious and our house is like a sauna!

That said, I'm the one who has to get the money off everyone and it can prove a bit of a hassle.

Whatever you do, when it comes to broadband have a look at www.mystudentbills.com for the best deals. We got an awesome deal on our gas and electricity too and saved about £450.
This is an amazing deal. Don't forget it means that you can pretty much have the heating on continuous throughout the cold winter months and leave as much electricity on as you want. (Although be wary of the "environment")

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending