The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

I really want to go KCL. Help Me?

I want to study Medicine at Kings College University as I believe its the best medical university around. I got 11 GCSEs (3A*, 8As) and I am predicted As in my A-levels. I have got work experience at Kings and Guys hospital as well as St Johns ambulance and volunteer work at a nursing home.

Does anyone know if there is anything else that I need to do to have a strong enough application.
Thanks in advance for your replies :smile:
Reply 1
yes if i was an admissions tutor i would take serious note of you and in fact give you a conditional offer. im no med student but being indian i know a fair few doctors. its good that you have the experience. make sure that your PS is strong and that the person giving you a refrence is someone who has a good professional/academic relationship with you.

dont worry it seems that you will get an offer.....

peace out
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by honestly
yes if i was an admissions tutor i would take serious note of you and in fact give you a conditional offer. im no med student but being indian i know a fair few doctors. its good that you have the experience. make sure that your PS is strong and that the person giving you a refrence is someone who has a good professional/academic relationship with you.

dont worry it seems that you will get an offer.....

peace out

are you being serious? :eek:

yes fair enough give them hope, how many people do you think apply to kings ? and how many do you think have experience? at all of the places kings will be competitive
Reply 3
Original post by MylesXD

be smart though, realise that there is a lot of potential students who wont apply cos of the statistics. if you have the real and sincere desire to practice medicine then you will reflect that in interviews and/ or your application..... i have friends who have applied to cammbridge, LSE and others alike for law with mainly A - B gardes but 4 As at Alevel, they had more experience than one could imagine and had very strong view and existing knowledge when it comes to Law...... anyway least to say they got an offer from LSE and cambridge and one other, the other two said no

peace out
Reply 4
be smart though, realise that there is a lot of potential students who wont apply cos of the statistics. if you have the real and sincere desire to practice medicine then you will reflect that in interviews and/ or your application..... i have friends who have applied to cammbridge, LSE and others alike for law with mainly A - B gardes but 4 As at Alevel, they had more experience than one could imagine and had very strong view and existing knowledge when it comes to Law...... anyway least to say they got an offer from LSE and cambridge and one other, the other two said no

peace out

hahaha now i see your reasoning fair enough :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by CallMeDr?
I want to study Medicine at Kings College University as I believe its the best medical university around. I got 11 GCSEs (3A*, 8As) and I am predicted As in my A-levels. I have got work experience at Kings and Guys hospital as well as St Johns ambulance and volunteer work at a nursing home.

Does anyone know if there is anything else that I need to do to have a strong enough application.
Thanks in advance for your replies :smile:

Kings balance your GCSEs against your UKCAT score when calling for interview and although your GCSEs are good Kings only look at the number of stars you have. You would need an extremely good UKCAT score to get an interview I'm afraid, definitely 700+. For that reason I'd probably advise against applying to Kings if you want to optimise your chances, but if you desperately want to go there then practice practice practice for the UKCAT and take the risk. Another thing, there's no best medical school, they're all accredited by the GMC and no preference is given to people graduating from any med school.
Reply 6
Original post by ScrubZ

"You would need an extremely good UKCAT score to get an interview I'm afraid, definitely 700"

Thanks...How long before the test should I start revising for it? (if you have any idea)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7

Thanks for the boost and reality check Honestly and mylesXD
Reply 8
Original post by CallMeDr?
"You would need an extremely good UKCAT score to get an interview I'm afraid, definitely 700"

Thanks...How long before the test should I start revising for it? (if you have any idea)

Well many people will say it's a test you can't revise for but personally I think the more practice you do the better you get. I'd recommend getting this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/into-Medical-School-comprehensive-explanations/dp/1905812094/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top the questions in the book are slightly harder than the actual thing imo but it's definitely good practice. Also you'll definitely want to download the practice questions that are available on the UKCAT website, again good practice but also are great way to practice timing, which is the most difficult thing about the test. So the more you practice on timing the better. I'd say try and get through all the questions in the book as well as looking through the explanations, can't really tell you how early to prepare but I'd say try and get to a point where you feel comfortable answering the questions in the book within the time limit.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest