The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hull York Medical School definitely, my flatmate told us in graphic detail about how he was cutting up someone's ribcage and lungs while we were trying to eat dinner... :s-smilie:
Reply 2
I would of thought they all would
I'm at Cambridge and we're doing 4 hours a week. It's pretty cool.
UCL most definitely and I think Durham/Newcastle med schools too. Not sure about any others. Many will do pro-sections with smaller body parts dissected in detail for you to look at.
Original post by gm15
I would of thought they all would

Well from what I've read dissection isn't always the best way to learn anatomy. There isn't a consensus, but I have noticed on here (as well as others) seem to be prosecution being a more effective way of learning.

Prosection is is watching a experienced anatomist dissect a cadaver among a small group of students.

Also the numbers of the public donating their bodies after their death is declining, so there are some Universities that only offer prosection or even none at all, and rely on imaging software or models.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Dundee does.
Original post by winter_mute
Well from what I've read dissection isn't always the best way to learn anatomy. There isn't a consensus, but I have noticed on here (as well as others) seem to be prosecution being a more effective way of learning.

Prosection is is watching a experienced anatomist dissect a cadaver among a small group of students.

Also the declining numbers of the public donating their bodies after their death is declining, so there are some Universities that only offer prosection or even none at all, and rely on imaging software or models.

Does that mean it's actually increasing? :getmecoat:
Reply 8
Original post by theiantomywanda
UCL most definitely and I think Durham/Newcastle med schools too. Not sure about any others. Many will do pro-sections with smaller body parts dissected in detail for you to look at.

Any source of the Newcastle one?
I thought only a few med schools do dissection!

I want to cut people in med school :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by TheSownRose
Does that mean it's actually increasing? :getmecoat:

Oh god, i had a optician appointment. I feel sorry for you, opticians jobs are so fudging boring.
Original post by Medicz
Oh god, i had a optician appointment. I feel sorry for you, opticians jobs are so fudging boring.

I agree, would hate to be an optician. Optometrist, on the other hand... :wink:

Don't feel sorry for me, I think it's great. I feel sorry for the medics.
Reply 11
St Andrews and Cambridge both do it.
Reply 12
So why did you get into medicine? I wanted to cut up dead guys.
Cardiff do it, 16 hours a week in first semester.
Reply 14
Original post by Aj12
So why did you get into medicine? I wanted to cut up dead guys.

(By the way, I'm not a medical student - I only know what I do because my brother studied it and he had to cut up cadavers quite early on... as did my uncle when studying dentistry bizarrely)
I thought all med schools did it. :beard:
Reply 16
Original post by TheSownRose
I agree, would hate to be an optician. Optometrist, on the other hand... :wink:

Don't feel sorry for me, I think it's great. I feel sorry for the medics.

I thought optometry was an optician?! :biggrin:
Original post by Medicz
I thought optometry was an optician?! :biggrin:

No, an optician is the one that dispensing the glasses. An optometrist is the examiner.
Original post by Johnny Christ
I thought all med schools did it. :beard:

You thought wrong, very wrong :smile:
Original post by Jamainglish

Original post by Jamainglish
You thought wrong, very wrong :smile:

Apparently so ":smile:"

Latest

Trending

Trending