The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DJkG.1
Which college was this?

Haha, I got the same one!

Sorry to hear about your experience though. It is wrong if that is what she said - but ultimately, the train fare is your expense and you make it for the chance of being made an offer. Whether you are told at the interview that it is unlikely, or just sent a rejection letter in early January, makes no eschatological difference to be fair.

Eschatological... how on Earth can you use that word in this context?! :lolwut:
Original post by DJkG.1
Which college was this?

Haha, I got the same one!

Sorry to hear about your experience though. It is wrong if that is what she said - but ultimately, the train fare is your expense and you make it for the chance of being made an offer. Whether you are told at the interview that it is unlikely, or just sent a rejection letter in early January, makes no eschatological difference to be fair.

Spoken like a true Law student :tongue:.
Reply 22
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Eschatological... how on Earth can you use that word in this context?! :lolwut:

lol...

Eschatology (from the Greek ???????/??????/???????, eschatos/eschat?/eschaton meaning "last" and -logy meaning "the study of", first used in English around 1550.[1]) is a part of theology, philosophy, and futurology concerned with what are believed to be the final events in history, or the ultimate destiny of humanity, commonly referred to as the end of the world
Reply 23
The only thing I can think of when I see the OP is what was the need for the random *s?
Reply 24
Original post by Iopiop93
Hi, ive just had a medicine interview at Cambridge. Basically I knew my BMAT scores (5ish scores and 4D) were a little bit low beforehand from talking to other people there but I was basically told my the interviewer that I didn’t have a chance of getting in.* So what was the ****ing point in calling me up in the first place, its just a waste of everyones time tbh*

My first interview was about science and medicine and I felt it went ok, I got asked questions which I sort of knew the answers to nd even tho I didn’t express myself that well, it didn’t go disastrously. The second interview was 1-on-1 with the director of studies. She introduced herself n sed that this was the ‘pastorel’ interview. At the start she spent like 5 minutes reading my application and then she asked me questions bout my personal statement and what I would bring to college life and an ethics question about some violinist. Then at the end she sed do u have any questions, so I just asked wen will we find out even tho I knew it was early jan…then she just said something along the lines of ‘I think with your BMAT scores and the competition we have this year I don’t think it will be easy to make you an offer but you never know’ in a really patronising way. So basically that means that theyre aren’t making me an offer. I told the uni applications person in my college and he said that’s outrageous.*

I don’t understand what the point is in calling someone up to interview, making them dress up in a suit and just go through the whole thing and not really care what happens in the interview and just go on some crappy 1hr exam. So pissed off. Can I complain against them or at least get my train fare back or something?

are you white? that's most likely why they accepted you on to the course
(edited 13 years ago)
Appologies if there is a thread like this.

When do the interview results come through, i.e Rejection or offer. Ive been told by some its early January, But I have heard that people have known a couple of weeks after (definately cambridge too, not oxford). Is it possible people could clarify this. I understand it may depend on the course and college.

Thanks
Original post by Vazzyb
lol...

Eschatology (from the Greek ???????/??????/???????, eschatos/eschat?/eschaton meaning "last" and -logy meaning "the study of", first used in English around 1550.[1]) is a part of theology, philosophy, and futurology concerned with what are believed to be the final events in history, or the ultimate destiny of humanity, commonly referred to as the end of the world

Yeah, I know what it means.. (am currently writing an essay about philosophers methods of seeking eschatological truth...)
Reply 27
My phone makes them, I'm still on the train :frown:. It's amazing how much u write when ur in a fury
Reply 28
Yeah, I know what it means.. (am currently writing an essay about philosophers methods of seeking eschatological truth...)

yeah i thought you might know...

I was just also pointing out how inappropriate the word was - made me laugh when i saw it on wikipedia
Original post by Vazzyb
yeah i thought you might know...

I was just also pointing out how inappropriate the word was - made me laugh when i saw it on wikipedia

Ohh. It makes me laugh when people on TSR use ridiculous words they obvious don't understand, in order to try and look smart. :rofl:
Reply 30
Official date is January 5. Some colleges might send them a bit later, but usually you should know by January 7 or something (given that you are from the UK).
Reply 31
Yh I'm white, so wat. If I complain to the faculty of biology, do they have any power over college interviews?
Original post by IlexBlue
The only thing I can think of when I see the OP is what was the need for the random *s?

I scrolled down expecting to see a footnote! I feel like I've been treated appallingly by the OP and I want to complain. :frown:

But seriously, the interviewer shouldn't have said that to you but why should you complain? There's a chance you *might* still get an offer and even if you don't, how was your interview anymore of a waste of time than the other people with not so great BMAT scores who also get rejected after interview? I'd leave it if I were you, at least until you get a official rejection.
Reply 33
I'm not gonna mock, but you can't use eschatological in that sense. The world is not ending and the OP is not dying, and the thread has nothing to do with their life after death...
Reply 34
I sed it's bcos I'm on my phone! Well it means that they just called me up to make the numbers and that I didn't actually have a chance of getting in. They ,ight at least consider the other ppl who get rejected ie. Their interview performance, but they don't care about mine, so why interview me at all :/
Ohh. It makes me laugh when people on TSR use ridiculous words they obvious don't understand, in order to try and look smart. :rofl:

Yeah, I did a bit of a double take at 'eschatological' because I do RS but I didn't point it out because you got there first! For a second I thought maybe it had an alternate non-philosophical meaning but nope...
Oh I love TSR! :biggrin: :laugh:
There can be other reasons that you are unaware of. For example if someone has been in care then the universities are required to offer them an interview even if it doesn't initially appear they are good enough.
Reply 37
But I'm not in care
Reply 38
Firstly why were you asking when you would receive a decision? It's hardly a good idea to ask a question like that especially when you already kenw the answer. She probably didn't like that. Secondly, your BMAT scores aren't that bad, in fact they're pretty good. Many med students at Cambridge have gotten in with worse, but maybe competition is tough this year at your college I wouldn't know. Thirdly, yes she shouldn't have said that to you. That is quite insulting and presumptuous. But I wouldn't complain about it until you have a definite answer. You might get pooled you never know. If you do get rejected then feel free to wreak havoc.
Reply 39
Original post by Scrubby
Firstly why were you asking when you would receive a decision? It's hardly a good idea to ask a question like that especially when you already kenw the answer. She probably didn't like that. Secondly, your BMAT scores aren't that bad, in fact they're pretty good. Many med students at Cambridge have gotten in with worse, but maybe competition is tough this year at your college I wouldn't know. Thirdly, yes she shouldn't have said that to you. That is quite insulting and presumptuous. But I wouldn't complain about it until you have a definite answer. You might get pooled you never know. If you do get rejected then feel free to wreak havoc.

What dd you get in your BMAT?

You don't need to answer this lol but what I mean is, they say a couple of 6s are 'good enough' while sub-5s - people dont even get interviews.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending