The Student Room Group

Footage proves disabled protester case

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Shows the biased media! against the people and for state regulation. The force should be ashamed of themselves.
I think those police officers have some explaining to do
All they go on about (disabled people) is wanting to be treated the same as everyone else, and when they are, they complain.
Original post by PerigeeApogee
Yes, because the guy who can't coordinate his legs well enough to walk is going to be a major threat to armed police, what with all the physical strength he has with which to toss missiles.

The guy can't even operate his own wheelchair, ffs.

When the police are faced with stones and bottles being pelted at them, they're supposed to go for the offenders. Not pick on a disabled guy who couldn't possibly be responsible.

Bull****. What was a disabled person in a wheelchair, who is not a student, doing at the front line of a protest in the first place? Totally irresponsible on his part. It was obvious, absolutely obvious he knew exactly what he was doing.

How he even got to the frontline is a mystery to us all.
he better stay away for when they bring in the water cannons
Original post by Broderss
Am I not allowed to complement a disabled? You're supposed to make them feel better about their terrible, unfortunate, often pointless lives not put them down by saying they're not intelligent and the only intelligent person in a wheelchair on this planet is Stephen Hawking. You're both worse than the interviewer. It's pitiful, actually. I pity you.

It's just the way you claimed he's intelligent 'considering he's disabled', I'm sure he's perfectly intelligent. I'm not the contradicting themselves by saying we need to make them feel better about their "often pointless lives". The disabled are no less intelligent than the general public, and they don't need your condescending attitude telling them otherwise.

Have the pity back, you need it the most.
Play with fire and you will get burnt.
Original post by PerigeeApogee
You are implying that disabled people shouldn't protest? Are you implying that only students reserve the right to be outraged about the education reforms?

If you feel strongly about an issue, then in the UK, you reserve the right to demonstrate. Doesn't matter if you're not affected DIRECTLY by the issue, or if you're disabled. To imply otherwise is disgusting.

If it's absolutely obvious that he knews what he was doing, then why don't you tell us - what is it that was doing and how does what he was doing justify being hauled out of his wheelchair?

I honestly can't believe you're trying to excuse/justify the actions of the police in this incident.

There is no reason why this man should be treated significantly different to anyone else. He had already put himself in danger once and was moved by police for his own safety.
In this second incident he is sitting in his wheelchair in the middle of the road. He may have the right to protest but not in the middle of the road, in a wheelchair. There is no evidence as to whether he tipped himsulf out of the wheelchair, when confronted, or whether the officer tipped him out deliberately or even accidentally.
Whatever happened he was then dragged to the pavement, not an unreasonable place to require him to be.
If he was able bodied there would be nothing to comment about.
In my view I suspect that this individual uses his disability as a weapon against the police which is a shameful act. This is standard procedure for all hooligans, vandals and yobs. If you're able enough to place yourself in a situation of civil disorder then you should count yourself able enough to accept the consequences too. Banging the disabled drum when you're roughly handled is a cop-out.

BTW this is directly from his blog from another protest:

"it was an epic mission to the top. Nine floors; eighteen flights of stairs. Two friends carried my wheelchair, and I walked. We couldn't give up now"
(edited 13 years ago)
The interviewer is not being biased against this man, he's doing exactly what all the BBC reporters do every time they interview someone. They ask challenging questions to test the person they are interviewing, especially when that person is there about something controversial. In fact, it's probably their way of ensuring they don't show bias, as they can't be accused of inadvertently condoning someone's words if their questions are challenging that person's views. Some of the interviewers don't do it quite so much, but if you watch News 24 it occurs regularly.

I don't really know what to think about this to be honest. If the man was causing the police a problem and not doing as they asked then they can't just ignore that because he's disabled. He knowingly put himself in a protest that was very likely to be heated and violent and therefore he shouldn't have been surprised when the police treated him the same way they treated everyone else who caused them problems that night. Just because he didn't have the ability to throw things does not mean he was not being abusive. To be honest, no one will really know what happened so it's difficult to see who's fault it is. I'm not condoning brutality against disabled people, far from it, but people shouldn't be so quick to judge the police when they don't know all the facts. Should it emerge that this man did absolutely nothing to warrant the police physically removing him from the site then I will be the first in line to criticise those police officers, but until then people shouldn't be so quick to assume that a self confessed revolutionary is entirely innocent just because he is disabled.
Reply 29
Original post by concubine
Yeah. Journalists never put themselves in positions of danger.

****ing dummy.

I didnt say journalist, I said disabled people, DUMBO!
Original post by Lovely88
I didnt say journalist, I said disabled people, DUMBO!

A journalist who is in the wheelchair can hardly do anything provocative as he's vulnerable position himself and wouldn't put himself in danger.

LOLWUT?

Come on bro. Surely an able bodied journalist in a war zone is more vulnerable than some wheely man amongst a bunch of angsty British students, and countless people head out to places like Afghanistan as journalists.
Reply 31
Original post by CombineHarvester
You don't have to be a student to protest against raised tuition fees.

Well it doesnt concern him does it. IMO he was looking to protest about something and the police arent going to drag him out his chair KNOWING there being filmed because he has done nothing.
Original post by theths
if you could find the picture that would help to solve this mystery (:

but i don't think saying "oh well, soviet Russia had it worse" is really the best approach, because by British standards, people feel like the police are behaving in a really out-of-order way towards relatively harmless students - like those in wheelchairs - assuming he was actually harmless
(although in some cases riot control is defo justified)

edot: just watched the video. anchorman was a complete idiot - even if McIntyre had shouted something, did that really justify him being pulled out of his wheelchair/dragged across the road? anchorman seemed determined to show that it did.

Really? The only people I've heard complaining about the Police are students, the public at large are supportive of the police.

Someone's linked to that picture earlier in the thread if you want to see it, it's here somewhere...

The anchorman was asking questions and not jumping to the conclusion that you wanted, particularly when that clip leaves you with many questions.

For example I think asking him about extremist comments he made is important as it helps gain an idea of how he was behaving before the clip etc.
Reply 33
Original post by Shortarse1
Really? The only people I've heard complaining about the Police are students, the public at large are supportive of the police.

Someone's linked to that picture earlier in the thread if you want to see it, it's here somewhere...

The anchorman was asking questions and not jumping to the conclusion that you wanted, particularly when that clip leaves you with many questions.

For example I think asking him about extremist comments he made is important as it helps gain an idea of how he was behaving before the clip etc.

No, I'm sure, I'm personally sickened by a lot of the behaviour at protests (especially since I don't entirely disagree with the rise in fees), and I can understand why people might support the police over the students given all the vandalism etc. over the fact that uni will now only be for the rich?! (blatantly not even true)
(also i just read my previous post, when i said "people" i was referring to the people who are upset by what they perceive as police brutality, whoever they may be)

the only thing i'm taking issue with here is the fact that a guy in a wheelchair may have been attacked by the police, despite the fact that he literally could not pose a physical threat to them, even if he had been shouting things, which makes it seem like the police overreacted here massively

it also slightly concerned me that the anchorman just seemed plain unwilling to hear him out. it was a very one-sided argument, which i would have disagreed with even if the anchorman had been arguing for the other side - he just didn't seem to want to acknowledge that the police could possibly have been at fault at all
(edited 13 years ago)
A journalist who is in the wheelchair can hardly do anything provocative as he's vulnerable position himself and wouldn't put himself in danger.

wouldn't put himself in danger? i'm sorry what? he put himself there on the front line in the first place. earlier on he had already put himself in danger and was moved by police for his own safety. The second time he gets in the way and is sat in the middle of the road yet he is the first to start crying when he is treated equally compared to all the other demonstraters. you want equality, you get equality.

i have no sympathy for this man, he has used his disability as a weapon against the police who had been under attack all day from stones and bottles

the police had a difficult job containing the violent protesting tossers. clowns like this made it more difficult for them. no sympathy McIntyre.

edit: see this video

does it really look like the police hate this man? they are clearly explaining why they needed to move him.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 35
I know we don't see what happened beforehand, but I don't see how this can be justified at all by the police. He is just sitting there in his chair, then gets dragged to the floor, for what reason?

I'm also fairly disgusted at how the BBC is so biased towards the government and the police.
Reply 36
Yes Jody MAY have provoked an officer in some way, but my god you do not just drag him out of his wheel chair. He was completely helpless as that power abuser dragged him around. Police really need a new method of training to prevent all these "professionals" losing their heads or they need to bloody reform their tactics. I think it's quite clear Jody was not a real threat to any officer.

Extremely angry watching that video, and the god damn reporter. He could at least refused to ask the question?
Reply 37
Original post by Mr. Orange
wouldn't put himself in danger? i'm sorry what? he put himself there on the front line in the first place. earlier on he had already put himself in danger and was moved by police for his own safety. The second time he gets in the way and is sat in the middle of the road yet he is the first to start crying when he is treated equally compared to all the other demonstraters. you want equality, you get equality.

i have no sympathy for this man, he has used his disability as a weapon against the police who had been under attack all day from stones and bottles

the police had a difficult job containing the violent protesting tossers. clowns like this made it more difficult for them. no sympathy McIntyre.

edit: see this video

does it really look like the police hate this man? they are clearly explaining why they needed to move him.

Facts and evidence aren't enough to calm down the rabid lefties.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending