The Student Room Group

Taken advantage of by University

Hi,

So I feel my university and its staff have taken advantage of me. Before I say anything else, I want to say I am disabled and of really poor mental health. Prior to Uni, I had a full time paid job-circa 17k a year(+/- 1k£ per annum). It wasn't anything special, but stable, good life with opportunity of growth.

I went to Uni, not out of own will, but bcuz I was advised it would change my life for better, open better job prospects etc etc. It was awful experience. Abuse from staff including disability advisor, and mental health therapist. Repeated comments how they thought my condition was affecting me, vs how it was really affecting me.

I was missold halls accomodation during my lowest moment and expensive, private internship.

They wasted 4.5years of my life. 2years of uni and 2gap years. I was repeatedly encouraged by uni staff to carry on with degree despite lack of results and poor health. 2nd year I hardly submitted anything and haven't attended classes. They falsified my records to say I wasn't struggling with mental health during year 1. I feel cheated off, taken advantage of, groomed and exploited financially.

So, I am now in circa 70k £s debt(2years plus foundation year). I have no uni degree. Not other legal qualification. Add to if fact, that for 4.5years I teied to pursue degree as per university recommendation, I missed on my employment so not only I was lured into debt, but missed out on around 25-30k £s of paid employment.

What do I do? Do I sue? Complain? Go public? How?

I feel they ruined my life and my shot at education-as I am not eligible to SFE anymore as I have just 1year of student funding left. Hiw do I crawl out of situation they put me into?

And if you wish to say, its my fault- before saying anything educate yourself on disability, on chronic pain, and on mental untreated illness. Due to uni staff, I neglected my health, my disability and my mental health. So do not tell me I could have achieved things, if I was not getting proper help.

Scroll to see replies

What outcome do you want now?
Reply 2
Hefty financial compensation. Big enough to cover all my losses:
*Internship cost+associated expenses
*Uni halls expenses(which I was advised as struggling victim of DV, where they could have advised shelter,searching for new affordable accomodation, but instead, they chose to recommend me heavily private halls preying on my state and I fell for it)
*Costs of travel to University(me overspending on Zone 1 travelcard instead of bus pass to job)
*This one is weak aspect but other costs I incurred due to health deterioration and lack of control over finances as Uni kept deteriorating my health
*Compensation for income I could have made at work. They can argue that due to my health, I would not have made that income-but considering lifetime wasted, ageing, deterioration of mental health and worsened physical health-I feel they are at loss. They should be. Bcuz if not their pushes, I could get help years ago. Improve my physical state. It would have made me better employee&healthier person. Who knows? Maybe I could still have my old job, if I didn't become so ill and irritated. But no, for 4years they lured me to believe I could get degree and be successful. For 4years I tried. I really tried. I spend a lot of money on notebooks, on stationery, highlighters, on study books as I couldn't drag myself to library due to my condition. I feel like I LOST so much and in return, I feel I got back very little.

The push, the way they hype ppl up, was so heavy-I feel the pressure of it got to me. I felt like I had no choice but to carry on. Now I am just angry with everything.

For 4.5years I did not get any sensible advice there regarding degree, regarding my health and which resources were available to me. No financial advice either. Nothing. Its just one massive institution with many fishes in tank. They bump ppl around hoping someone will help. There was no help. Most of it,was chit chats. I don't know.

It feels I was much better before. I had control over own life and finances. They did not help. That 70k £s debt, despite its terms of repayment feels like very heavy burden. Not worth what I got in return. If I carried on the way I lived before Uni, I could be much better.

So much money went towards TA food, as I stopped cooking. I stopped taking care of myself. So much money went towards Uber rides-They occupied so much of my time, I was sleep deprived, time deprived and everything just went wrong. I have no choice but to blame that institution.

I interacted with so many people:
Programme lead
That pseudo therapist
Disability Advisor
Personal Tutor
Other lecturers

Literally no help. I attempted to get financial advice-no result. Nothing. Big, fat nothing.
Considering how short life is, I feel at big disadvantage as I was not young when I went to Uni. Now, I am 4.5years older, stuck with same sort of job I did before but for less pay, working only 16h per week due to how my health deteriorated.

Outcome I want-is to get money back. I want justice. They missold me heavily priced products without warnings&without consideration of my mental state. They ruined my shot at education.

I try to move on, but I was wronged so badly, it feels impossible. The worst aspect is lack of education and security. I am not in position to just swim around job market, switch companies, switch jobs. Like, I have no legal skills and qualifications. That Uni made sure of it by wasting 4.5years of my life. They made sure I have zero.

Its not just about money for me. Its about psychological burden, burnout, its about being exposed to that disability advisor&mental health therapist.

Its about this Unis refusal to take action against staff lack of conduct,wrongful advises and accusations on how my condition was affecting me and ability to achieve degree. Without being medical professionals. They kept harassing me with emails. Endlessly. Any problem I said I was struggling with, they downplayed it. They made it sound, like Uni degree was right there, in reach of my hands..

I want my money back. At least that, so I can figure out my situation. Just like with my previous job, if there is will, there are opportunities. But that school gave me zero. Mostly, they took away from me and my sanity.
Reply 3
No matter how I look at it, no matter how sensible, considerate, peaceful I try to be, They just ripped me off. Majorly.

&Nothing good came out of it. Nothing. Zero. Now, I do not trust ppl. Anybody starting with any advices(And there are clueless ppl running around), I am severely triggered. I can't ignore these advices. In my head, it keeps going-what if they harm somebody.

I want to live using my own will and have control over my life, how I build it and what I do with my money. Without unwanted intrusion of 3rd parties.
Have you pursued a formal complaint with the uni itself? If you’ve got evidence of much of the above, then this will help.

I would speak to the Students Union for advice, even if you’re no longer a student there.
Tbh I seriously doubt you'll get any compensation at all, let alone ''hefty financial compensation''.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Pinkgirl30
I went to Uni, not out of own will, but bcuz I was advised it would change my life for better,

You did go to uni of your own free will. You don't have to take the advice people give you; you weren't forced to do so.
Reply 7
Hi,

So I feel my university and its staff have taken advantage of me. Before I say anything else, I want to say I am disabled and of really poor mental health. Prior to Uni, I had a full time paid job-circa 17k a year(+/- 1k£ per annum). It wasn't anything special, but stable, good life with opportunity of growth.

I went to Uni, not out of own will, but bcuz I was advised it would change my life for better, open better job prospects etc etc. It was awful experience. Abuse from staff including disability advisor, and mental health therapist. Repeated comments how they thought my condition was affecting me, vs how it was really affecting me.

I was missold halls accomodation during my lowest moment and expensive, private internship.

They wasted 4.5years of my life. 2years of uni and 2gap years. I was repeatedly encouraged by uni staff to carry on with degree despite lack of results and poor health. 2nd year I hardly submitted anything and haven't attended classes. They falsified my records to say I wasn't struggling with mental health during year 1. I feel cheated off, taken advantage of, groomed and exploited financially.

So, I am now in circa 70k £s debt(2years plus foundation year). I have no uni degree. Not other legal qualification. Add to if fact, that for 4.5years I teied to pursue degree as per university recommendation, I missed on my employment so not only I was lured into debt, but missed out on around 25-30k £s of paid employment.

I feel they ruined my life and my shot at education-as I am not eligible to SFE anymore as I have just 1year of student funding left. Hiw do I crawl out of situation they put me into?

And if you wish to say, its my fault- before saying anything educate yourself on disability, on chronic pain, and on mental untreated illness. Due to uni staff, I neglected my health, my disability and my mental health. So do not tell me I could have achieved things, if I was not getting proper help.

Did you have DSA support?
It is very common for school advisors to recommend university as the best option based to school leavers (I know in my school they did this with a pile of macro data largely not suitable to use on an individual basis) and i have a good degree of sympathy for students poorly advised that university especially when students are enrolling onto programs that don’t naturally lead to proven socioeconomic value.

Unfortunately the reality is other people aren’t responsible for your life, and in your late teens you reach a point where you learn your fate is in your hands and even well intentioned advise is often unsuitable or poor. I don’t really think you have recourse for enrolling at university, ultimately despite poor advice you must accept responsibility for enrolling.

Their is good news, your life is far from ruined. You can drastically change your prospects & ambitions, and you don’t need a degree to do great things. Whilst being burdened by a student loan is crap, the good news is the loan functions in practice as more of a levy/tax and only is enforced after you approach a decent salary & only really functions as debt if you earn a very prosperous PAYE based income.

As for your situation regarding disability and how either the academic or support staff engaged with you such that you feel they were negligent or failed to treat your circumstances appropriately I would take your evidence to official channels such as office for students, they can advise what recourse is reasonable, they are a public body who can investigate universities and hold them accountable.

Id also note in exceptional circumstances, particularly health related you can get additional SFE finances for a second chance at completing a degree although this will depend on your application.
Hi,

You can apply for compelling personal reasons if you have medical evidence and a paragraph or so explaining how it impacted your studies. However, you really need to research what you want to do in life and hopefully the future will turn out better.
You are looking for remedies that will only be possible through legal action. Are you mentally ready and strong enough for this?
You don't have the experience or expertise to do this yourself and you can be sure that the other parties involved will have professional counsel acting for them. Therefore, you will most likely need to engage solicitors (and possible later on, barristers) to act on your behalf.
Assuming you don't have access to a large pot of money, you may need to find a firm who would be prepared to act on a no-win, no-fee basis. They'll only act if they see a reasonable prospect of winning the case (you might need to spend some time arming yourself with lots of evidence beforehand).
Find a local Legal Advice Centre, or see if you can get a free consultation with a lawyer via the Citizens Advice Bureau closest to you and they will be able to give you a free and honest assessment of your chances of success.
Reply 11
Original post by Surnia
You did go to uni of your own free will. You don't have to take the advice people give you; you weren't forced to do so.

Now, I know I do not have to take advice ppl give me. The issue is, when you are surrounded by abusive network, pushy network, who only runs around and gives you advises, they break you. The ppl who recommended Uni, and who broke me, worked on me for 5years. After 5years I broke. Whatever they said I did. Once they broke me, it was like open doors. I was used financially by number of ppl. I acted not out of own will. If its not coerce and abuse, then what it is?
Reply 12
Original post by mnot
It is very common for school advisors to recommend university as the best option based to school leavers (I know in my school they did this with a pile of macro data largely not suitable to use on an individual basis) and i have a good degree of sympathy for students poorly advised that university especially when students are enrolling onto programs that don’t naturally lead to proven socioeconomic value.

Unfortunately the reality is other people aren’t responsible for your life, and in your late teens you reach a point where you learn your fate is in your hands and even well intentioned advise is often unsuitable or poor. I don’t really think you have recourse for enrolling at university, ultimately despite poor advice you must accept responsibility for enrolling.

Their is good news, your life is far from ruined. You can drastically change your prospects & ambitions, and you don’t need a degree to do great things. Whilst being burdened by a student loan is crap, the good news is the loan functions in practice as more of a levy/tax and only is enforced after you approach a decent salary & only really functions as debt if you earn a very prosperous PAYE based income.

As for your situation regarding disability and how either the academic or support staff engaged with you such that you feel they were negligent or failed to treat your circumstances appropriately I would take your evidence to official channels such as office for students, they can advise what recourse is reasonable, they are a public body who can investigate universities and hold them accountable.

Id also note in exceptional circumstances, particularly health related you can get additional SFE finances for a second chance at completing a degree although this will depend on your application.

Well, I know other ppl are not responsible for my life and OWN decisions. Choices. I know. This is how parents raised me. My act, good or bad is on me.

But, am I still to be ćheld accountable, for 'own decisions' if I was victim of long lasting domestic violence, exploited financially and literally, anything that anybody told me-I did. A group of abusers broke me, and they preyed on me. I was used financially by... 1,2, 3,4,5,6 people. I was advised not only uni but other things to&I sadly listened. I count losses in thousand of pounds. Not only debt. I have as of now 2notebooks, and 1x big clip in folder currently(after wasting like 5notebooks before coming to current point) with notes how did it happen. Nah, it was not my decision, neither my own will. I am victim of coercive control and domestic violence. Now, I just keep writing: who, did what, said what, what advice was and what are consequences. And how advice was given-was it thru text/phone call shere I was in majority of events, able to defend myself. Or was it, direct access advice, coercive control and me falling victim to coercive control. And oh, just to let you know. I can say no. Just some ppl, of you say no to their advice, they get offended and they attack you:verbally, intimidation is there and ohysical outburst too. Did you miss disability part? It dies mean, that in 99.9% of situations of abuse, I was not able to get out of situation and escape abuse. I was too slow. I was threatened. And I was just scared and controlled. I have even book on how to say NO. The issue is, in life, not everybody is mindful. Not everybody takes NO as no.

Happened again event recently. Bigger than me, intimidating co worker was acting inappropriately towards me. Deja vu as she was displaying the same pattern of behaviour of person giving unwanted, unsolicited advices:do this, that. Buy this, that(she went into details which i will skip). 1 on 1, repeated attack. Nowhere to escape as place was small. I told her stop once, twice, she got red and offended snd said I was antisocial. And then she made other nasty remarks. I felt sick, vulnerable, afraid and at loss. Reported to manager. Quit job after maybe 8-9shifts with said co worker. Reported her to Police too after past experiences. Ppl like that roam around and ruin lives. Uni-okay. Everybody saying my decision, my had advice. Tatata. How do you call it, when you ill, vulnerable, with little income, liabilities to pay&someone approaches them with advices to spend money on bul)**** you do not need? Last I checked, its fraud attempt/luring person to mishandle/misappropriate their funds. Its life ruining.

Uni-I will fight them
Reply 13
I mean, You could all say I am the problem bcuz I didn't say NO/STOP and now I am crying. I did. There are abusers in life. Normal, mindful, respectful ppl are different to abusers. Abusers exists, and they needy and greedy. All it matter for them is what they want. How they want. Their pleasure/need.

You can compare it to 2scenarios-what is stronger, rock or water? One is gonna say, rock obviously. But if you give water enough time, water will wear out rick and cause it to crack, and then rock will be gone. I used to be rock, and my abusers were like water. They just needed time.

Scenario 2 is psychology concept I came upon as escaping DV victim. So if you put a frog in boiling water, frog will jump out(it may get burned, but shock/danger will cause immediate reaction). But if you out frog in safe, cold water and you start increasing temperature, from will not realize how hot it got and it will get cooked. This is how abuse is and this is what happened to me. If I knew, my life would have played out differently.

But hey, I learnt lesson. From abuse, you run and you report it.
If I were you I would try to understand what I wanted from this life. Do you want to go back to university? If you do, don’t let the funding stop you. If you don’t that’s totally okay too.

You have time to figure out what you want to do with your old uni and whether you want to start a legal battle but for now, focus on yourself and focus on what you want to do in the next chapter of your life.
I'm going to tag @The_Lonely_Goatherd here as she may have some relevant experience.

What you've experienced is horrible and should never happen to anyone. But I would say, think very carefully about what you want to get out of any legal or formal complaint process and how you're going to cope with it all. The physical, mental and emotional toll of these things is enormous, and even if you were to be successful in getting some kind of financial settlement, it would likely take several years and quite possibly still be less than you'd have spent on it. You'll need a huge amount of evidence, professional advice and mental resilience to get through it, and need to be prepared that you may well come out with nothing. The odds are very much stacked against you.

None of this is to say don't do it. If you want to use the process to create change for others, for example campaigning for more balanced advice in school or university support, it could be worth it (although not necessarily the quickest or most effective route). There's probably other valid reasons to go ahead too. But I would really, really push you to think about the toll any of this is going to take on you. While financial compensation would be nice, the uni won't give it up lightly and the potential health toll on you is enormous. It will keep you tied to what happened and not allow you to move on with your life. As above, this may still be worth it, but you need to think about it.

I have more thoughts on this but they're definitely not things I can articulate at 3:30am. But yeah, just think about the risks vs realistic benefit of anything you do here. What's best for you in the long term could well be trying to move on with your life from where you are now, possibly with eg some social media campaigning on the side. It'd be horrible to let the uni get away with it, but your life and health have to be the priority. For now though, try and take some time away from things (sleep!!) and think about your options. I really hope everything works out for you whatever you decide.
Reply 16
You need to put all this behind you and focus all your efforts and attention on moving forwards

It looks to me that you are creating an unhealthy obsession here in wanting to blame others for the decisions you made. OK so it didn't work out for you, that's life, time to move on.

Bit of tough love but you will get precisely nowhere with this, don't get me wrong i'm sure there will be a solicitor somewhere that will extract plenty of cash from you to have a go but seriously you are totally wasting your time.

Put all your effort now into moving forwards, go and see your doctor and see if they can refer you for some counselling, if not see if family can help you pay for some private sessions, you have to move on from this and put it all behind you.

Good luck
Reply 17
Now, I know I do not have to take advice ppl give me. The issue is, when you are surrounded by abusive network, pushy network, who only runs around and gives you advises, they break you. The ppl who recommended Uni, and who broke me, worked on me for 5years. After 5years I broke. Whatever they said I did. Once they broke me, it was like open doors. I was used financially by number of ppl. I acted not out of own will. If its not coerce and abuse, then what it is?

It is awful and terrible, but it is not the university's fault.

Well, I know other ppl are not responsible for my life and OWN decisions. Choices. I know. This is how parents raised me. My act, good or bad is on me.

But, am I still to be ćheld accountable, for 'own decisions' if I was victim of long lasting domestic violence, exploited financially and literally, anything that anybody told me-I did. A group of abusers broke me, and they preyed on me. I was used financially by... 1,2, 3,4,5,6 people. I was advised not only uni but other things to&I sadly listened. I count losses in thousand of pounds. Not only debt. I have as of now 2notebooks, and 1x big clip in folder currently(after wasting like 5notebooks before coming to current point) with notes how did it happen. Nah, it was not my decision, neither my own will. I am victim of coercive control and domestic violence. Now, I just keep writing: who, did what, said what, what advice was and what are consequences. And how advice was given-was it thru text/phone call shere I was in majority of events, able to defend myself. Or was it, direct access advice, coercive control and me falling victim to coercive control. And oh, just to let you know. I can say no. Just some ppl, of you say no to their advice, they get offended and they attack you:verbally, intimidation is there and ohysical outburst too. Did you miss disability part? It dies mean, that in 99.9% of situations of abuse, I was not able to get out of situation and escape abuse. I was too slow. I was threatened. And I was just scared and controlled. I have even book on how to say NO. The issue is, in life, not everybody is mindful. Not everybody takes NO as no.

Happened again event recently. Bigger than me, intimidating co worker was acting inappropriately towards me. Deja vu as she was displaying the same pattern of behaviour of person giving unwanted, unsolicited advices:do this, that. Buy this, that(she went into details which i will skip). 1 on 1, repeated attack. Nowhere to escape as place was small. I told her stop once, twice, she got red and offended snd said I was antisocial. And then she made other nasty remarks. I felt sick, vulnerable, afraid and at loss. Reported to manager. Quit job after maybe 8-9shifts with said co worker. Reported her to Police too after past experiences. Ppl like that roam around and ruin lives. Uni-okay. Everybody saying my decision, my had advice. Tatata. How do you call it, when you ill, vulnerable, with little income, liabilities to pay&someone approaches them with advices to spend money on bul)**** you do not need? Last I checked, its fraud attempt/luring person to mishandle/misappropriate their funds. Its life ruining.

Uni-I will fight them

Again, at base, this is not the institution's issue.
Reply 18

I went to Uni, not out of own will, but bcuz I was advised it would change my life for better, open better job prospects etc etc.

They wasted 4.5years of my life. 2years of uni and 2gap years.

So who advised you to go to uni? Why didn't you do something else in this 5 years they were discussing this with you? Why did you return to uni for a second year?

You are using very emotive language but, several times, without substance. You were 'advised', then you were 'lured', then 'missold'.

If you think you have a case, you need to provide facts and evidence.
Hi,

Original post by Muttley79
Did you have DSA support?

I am really sorry to hear your story.i really felt bad when I read what you wrote I hope you're doing all right.i think the best thing for you would be to get a side job or start a side hustle so you can start paying of the debt while getting an online degree as it can help you get a high paying job and you would not face what you faced at your university

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending