The Student Room Group

Mini Cooper Owners?

I've recently decided that I really like the mini cooper in silver, and am thinking about getting one.

I was just wondering from people who already have one how much the insurance is roughly. I passed my test 7 months ago and have had no crashes or claims on insurance.

Also, can you get mini cooper's with 5 seats or do they only have 4? I have a KA at the moment and the 4 seats can get a bit annoying sometimes.

Thankyouu! :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Kerry_x
I've recently decided that I really like the mini cooper in silver, and am thinking about getting one.

I was just wondering from people who already have one how much the insurance is roughly. I passed my test 7 months ago and have had no crashes or claims on insurance.

Also, can you get mini cooper's with 5 seats or do they only have 4? I have a KA at the moment and the 4 seats can get a bit annoying sometimes.

Thankyouu! :smile:

When a car says it has 4 seats it's simply a challenge to get more people in. My Morris Minor technically only has space for 4 but damn you I have gotten 3 people in the back seat before. It really depends how good a friendship your friends in the back seat have :biggrin: I did get someone in the boot once too - that was an interesting journey.

On the topic of Mini Coopers; I've ridden in one a few times and I definitely wasn't impressed. Everything felt very plasticky and cheap and very stylised - trying to look cool but failing totally. They're expensive for what you get, pretty expensive to insure and very expensive to fix.
Reply 2
Three in the back would be easy if there was a bench seat, but Minis have two seats in the back, with a seatbelt buckes in between. I know I wouldn't like to sit there......

As for insurance, nobody can advise you as each quote is unique. Try a few comparison sites.
Reply 3
Are you talking about proper Mini's or the new shape?

My brother had a BMW Mini and that was about £1000 in insurance. Unfortunately the gearbox blew up and that wrote it off so the insurance point was kinda moot.

They are very expensive and not very good value for money.
Reply 4
It cost me just under £1000 - and that was when I'd never driven before, so no NCB etc. I love the mini - it drives best on the motorway, very fast and great steering :smile: I would say though that sitting in the back of one is uncomfortable enough, let alone trying to squeeze an extra person back there too. I think they work best as a 2 person car..

EDIT: as another poster has mentioned, I would also agree that they aren't very economical.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Nuffles
When a car says it has 4 seats it's simply a challenge to get more people in. My Morris Minor technically only has space for 4 but damn you I have gotten 3 people in the back seat before. It really depends how good a friendship your friends in the back seat have :biggrin: I did get someone in the boot once too - that was an interesting journey.

On the topic of Mini Coopers; I've ridden in one a few times and I definitely wasn't impressed. Everything felt very plasticky and cheap and very stylised - trying to look cool but failing totally. They're expensive for what you get, pretty expensive to insure and very expensive to fix.

I've had 4 in my 2 seater A7 once.... now that was a challenge! :tongue:

I agree with the comment on the new Minis, I just don't really like them much. Having driven one, I didn't really find it that special at all and for the money, I'd rather something different, rather than something for which the main appeal and selling point seems to be that it looks something like a Mini.
Reply 6
I actually owned a Mini One a few years back, but I would never buy another one. I paid a lot of money for it and actually it was pretty basic and not very economical to run.

I went in one around a month ago as one of my colleagues gave me a lift and it was so small, I honestly didnt remember them being that tiny. Personally I think there are better cars you can buy with the money.
coopers are far higher up on the insurance group ratings than the mini one, and you don't even get much more powerrrr ;((
they are pleasant enough to drive though (kinda like a go-kart actually!) but like 'tbm' says there are numerous better options for the price (or even less) of a cooper.

what plate/age is the cooper you are considering getting anyways?
Reply 8
From a buyers point of view I would avoid MINI's to be honest.
Howevr, from a dealers point of view - I can't get enough of them!
I had a Cooper S in stock a few months back and I wasn't impressed - can you say torque steer?

However, if you are going to buy one, don't pay too much for one.
You can pick plenty of them up for around 2-3 grand now. In my experience they tend to be either very good with great service history or wrecks with sod all history and sky high milage. There doesn't seem to be much in between.

They are good sellers
4 seats but i regularly have 3 in the back with no problem. it's a squeeze but definitely possible.
it can be inconvenient only having two doors though, but you'll know that from having a KA.

overall i LOVE mine. could not be happier, they're lovely to drive and easy to park.
Reply 10
If its not a a BMW free Mini then its not a MINI! lol

x
Reply 11
I had one when I was in Singapore, it was a standard Cooper. It's a decent car though quite expensive for what it is.

Bought another one last year, it's a JCW version. Used to thrash the living daylights out of it from the day I collected it from the garage. My favourite thing to do with it was to find out how fast I could take a corner with it on all those Welsh country roads without losing any grip. Every time I drove it, I've never changed gears below 4500rpm. Surprisingly it was a very reliable car despite all the hard driving it went through.

But after 3 months of having it, it became just another car.... you get tired of it after awhile and start noticing all the flaws.

The downside to it is the headroom and space inside is quite poor for a car its size. Strictly speaking it is a 2+2 seater. Refinement is not great considering the price.

If you are buying one brand new, then watch out for the expensive options....... the list of things you can get is very long but most of them are quite pricey.

After 11 months of use, I got a company car, so I handed the keys to my gf who drives it these days. She loves it more than I did and I think she drives it too conservatively. Insurance for a 20 year old female with 2 years of NCB isn't all that bad around £1500 per year for insurance with me as a 2nd driver. If it was a standard Cooper version it would be around £700+ only.

The thing that does become expensive is obviously the petrol if you drive it like I did and the maintenance is, spare parts can cost a bomb at a BMW dealer. Servicing is definitely a pricey affair and so is the consumables like the tyres and brakes.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending