The Student Room Group

Small fridge/freezer problem

The landlord has provided a smaller fridge/freezer then previous one by 29cm shorter in height. It is a new one and a bit smaller in height only.

He has paid all the various charges to have it delivered and the old one taken away and recycled and refuses to replace this with a slightly taller one.

What can be done to resolve this? Apparently there will be more charges now to sort this including takign away this new one and having another one delivered>

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Kutie Karen
The landlord has provided a smaller fridge/freezer then previous one by 29cm shorter in height. It is a new one and a bit smaller in height only.

He has paid all the various charges to have it delivered and the old one taken away and recycled and refuses to replace this with a slightly taller one.

What can be done to resolve this? Apparently there will be more charges now to sort this including takign away this new one and having another one delivered>

The height shouldn’t be a problem if the volume is the same.
Did you choose the property specifically because of the fridge/ freezer dimensions? I doubt it. Did the contract stipulate the model and size of fridge / freezer? I doubt it.
So unless it really is unfit for purpose and the number of people living in the property, there won’t be much you can do.
Reply 2
Original post by Euapp
The height shouldn’t be a problem if the volume is the same.
Did you choose the property specifically because of the fridge/ freezer dimensions? I doubt it. Did the contract stipulate the model and size of fridge / freezer? I doubt it.
So unless it really is unfit for purpose and the number of people living in the property, there won’t be much you can do.

Ok, The previous one was holding a bit more then this one and broke down. is that a good enough case do you think?
Reply 3
Ok, The previous one was holding a bit more then this one and broke down. is that a good enough case do you think?

Unless the contract says otherwise, the landlord has to provide you with a fridge/ freezer in working order and fit for the purpose. If the fridge really is too small for the number of people in the lodgement then you may be able to do something, but if it is of a size that most people would find satisfactory then there won’t be much you can do, unless it is so significantly smaller that you can maintain that you wouldn’t have rented the property if you had seen a fridge of this size when you visited the property prior to signing the contract.
Reply 4
Original post by Euapp
Unless the contract says otherwise, the landlord has to provide you with a fridge/ freezer in working order and fit for the purpose. If the fridge really is too small for the number of people in the lodgement then you may be able to do something, but if it is of a size that most people would find satisfactory then there won’t be much you can do, unless it is so significantly smaller that you can maintain that you wouldn’t have rented the property if you had seen a fridge of this size when you visited the property prior to signing the contract.

Thanks. What is signifcantly smaller? is a shorter height of 29cm enough to argue this? all other dimensions are the same..
Reply 5
Thanks. What is signifcantly smaller? is a shorter height of 29cm enough to argue this? all other dimensions are the same..

Unfortunately it’s not as simple as that. You need to know the difference in interior volume between the old and new because depending on how it’s been made there can be difference between two fridges with the same exterior dimensions.
However, if for example there are 5 of you in the house and before each of you had your own shelf in the fridge, but now there are only 3 shelves, you could probably argue that it is not fit for the purpose and that the size and quality of the fridge was an important criteria when choosing to rent that house.
Up to you if you think this is a battle worth fighting…
Reply 6
Original post by Euapp
Unfortunately it’s not as simple as that. You need to know the difference in interior volume between the old and new because depending on how it’s been made there can be difference between two fridges with the same exterior dimensions.
However, if for example there are 5 of you in the house and before each of you had your own shelf in the fridge, but now there are only 3 shelves, you could probably argue that it is not fit for the purpose and that the size and quality of the fridge was an important criteria when choosing to rent that house.
Up to you if you think this is a battle worth fighting…

Thanks. Is the landlord obliged to do anything? The extra costs now involved he wants to pass on. can he do that?
Reply 7
Thanks. Is the landlord obliged to do anything? The extra costs now involved he wants to pass on. can he do that?

Tbh,unless it’s impossible to store the households fresh goods in a fridge of that size, then you are relying on the landlord’s good will, and he probably could ask for a contribution. So up to you to convince him that it’s too small for the purpose

What does it say in the contract?
Reply 9
Original post by ageshallnot

Just to replace the fridge/freezer if broken or repair.
Reply 10
Original post by Euapp
Tbh,unless it’s impossible to store the households fresh goods in a fridge of that size, then you are relying on the landlord’s good will, and he probably could ask for a contribution. So up to you to convince him that it’s too small for the purpose

The fridge is smaller in height by 29cm not sure how much extra that space would hold. His argument is that he has provided and if we want another one then to pay the extra cost involved like delivery, and so on. Don't think it is fair.
Reply 11
Original post by ageshallnot

Most contracts don’t give the make and dimensions of kitchen contents. The landlord will be liable to repair and/ or replace if they break down as a result of normal wear and tear. Anything else is at the charge of the tenant. If he is now prepared to replace a fridge that is in perfect working order because you would like something bigger, I think he is actually being quite cooperative in just asking you to pay the delivery charge, unless of course, the fridge that he provided really is unfit for purpose, and this I very much doubt. No normal person would replace a large family fridge with a mini one, so although smaller and maybe less practical, you probably could manage with it.
Reply 12
Original post by Euapp
Most contracts don’t give the make and dimensions of kitchen contents. The landlord will be liable to repair and/ or replace if they break down as a result of normal wear and tear. Anything else is at the charge of the tenant. If he is now prepared to replace a fridge that is in perfect working order because you would like something bigger, I think he is actually being quite cooperative in just asking you to pay the delivery charge, unless of course, the fridge that he provided really is unfit for purpose, and this I very much doubt. No normal person would replace a large family fridge with a mini one, so although smaller and maybe less practical, you probably could manage with it.

The previous one was making noise and not keepign very cool. to be fair he did buy a brand new rather than repair or an old replacement. The shorter height is a problem and a bit on the small side. He has offered a swop but the store will deduct a chunk of for the a week or so usuage and the extrea delivery charges plus the difference in the cost of gettign a 29cm taller fridge freezer. Comes to quite a lot to be honest and asked us to pay these extra charges which really is not fair.
Reply 13
The previous one was making noise and not keepign very cool. to be fair he did buy a brand new rather than repair or an old replacement. The shorter height is a problem and a bit on the small side. He has offered a swop but the store will deduct a chunk of for the a week or so usuage and the extrea delivery charges plus the difference in the cost of gettign a 29cm taller fridge freezer. Comes to quite a lot to be honest and asked us to pay these extra charges which really is not fair.

So negotiate, whilst keeping a big smile on your face!! Tell him that you are willing to take on the transport costs ( won’t be much because the shop will normally deliver virtually for free if they’ve made a good sale) but he should cover the rest as if he had consulted with you, you would have told him the first replacement fridge that he chose would be too small.
Be diplomatic, otherwise he’ll dig his heels in. And even if you win now he’ll be less cooperative for other problems and with the return of the deposit.
(edited 9 months ago)
At the end of the day, if you let a landlord choose your furniture and appliances for you who has a motive to keep the cost down, they will. Unless the new one doesn't function as a fridge or a freezer you don't have much leverage. You say it's not fair... but the landlord has already paid 1 set of fees and you're the one who wants a change...

See also : baths, the only people who buy those stupid 3/4 size baths are landlords who never need to use it.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Euapp
but he should cover the rest as if he had consulted with you, you would have told him the first replacement fridge that he chose would be too small.

My somewhat snippy reply would be 'I don't need to consult with you and I choose the inventory, feel free to buy your own if it bothers you'
Reply 16
Original post by StriderHort
My somewhat snippy reply would be 'I don't need to consult with you and I choose the inventory, feel free to buy your own if it bothers you'

I didn’t say that he should”, but that she should tell him that he should. Nuance. Whether he accepts or not is another matter, but it never hurts to try.
Original post by Euapp
I didn’t say that he should”, but that she should tell him that he should. Nuance. Whether he accepts or not is another matter, but it never hurts to try.

Yea just playing advocate, the term 'consult' would have raised my hackles a bit

I'm also just home and annoyed from a 2 hour rainy drive, but you have to accept the possibility the landlord could have just made the same drive :tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by StriderHort
Yea just playing advocate, the term 'consult' would have raised my hackles a bit

I'm also just home and annoyed from a 2 hour rainy drive, but you have to accept the possibility the landlord could have just made the same drive :tongue:

Which is why I’m saying don’t just rush in and say it’s his fault. He changed the fridge and has basically respected his obligations, so if OP wants more she’s going to have to be diplomatic.
I'm no expert here on anything; I just wanted to advise that if your uni has an accommodation office, they can often help advise you regarding tennants' rights, maybe it could be worth contacting them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending