The Student Room Group

When will gays be able to show public affection comfortably?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by cttp_ngaf
Source?

Not sure of England in particular, but wiki says "Approximately 1% to 2% of the human population has red hair.[2][3] It occurs more frequently (between 2% and 6% of the population) in northern and western Europeans"

Actually ginger "teasing" (or abuse, if you like) is extremely common. But, gays being gays, they of course get more upset about it. I guess they're ashamed, basically, whereas personally I am utterly unmoved by someone pointing out that I have gingery hair. I do, I know I do. Them saying it doesn't really affect anything.

find me a case where a ginger was brutally and horribly killed, beaten ,maimed and executed for being a Ginger and then we can talk, until then gays have the right to be sensitive; read this article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11831556

go tell the families of those dead gay guys who were murdered for being who they are not to be upset, tell the rest of the GLBT community too

some people are so uninformed on the prejudice and discrimination that GLBT people face, many with a constant fear of being killed or beaten...... dumb world
(edited 13 years ago)
Erm now ?

I wouldn't care if I saw 2 gay people kissing. Obviously not going overboard then again I wouldn't like 2 straight people going overboard.

2 girls that look like Jessica alba could go overboard though. They have my permission.
Reply 22
I dunno, but the last people to be comfortable with it will be the gays themselves, obviously. I don't think even today there are many people who would be particularly uncomfortable with it or see it as particularly shocking. But as the people at the centre of the issue gays are going to feel self-conscious much longer after everyone else stops caring.
Reply 23
If you're worried about this country you should see what happens in other countries to gays.
Original post by py0alb
They already can where I'm from. I've never seen anyone have any issues.

This. I have a male friend who has a boyfriend, and they always hold hands when they're out!

People don't notice lesbians holding hands as much, because girls are more "touchy-feely" anyway.
Reply 25
Margaret thatcher that link you posted only accounts for Muslims and not for other homophobic(funny how homophobic has now become a negative word to use :s-smilie:) religions. plus that article carries no real weight, the sample size of muslims interviewed from this country was 500 people when there's about 2000000 Muslims in this country; it's not very representative of the population. Oh yeah, and it's an article from the Guardian who are renowned for posting bull****.

Homosexuality has been considered morally wrong ever since humanity began. It's only recently with the holocaust and over sympathy-winning scenarios that people have started feeling sorry for gays and it's become more prominent.
It's probably possible where I live, but I do live in a fairly non-religious area and the main churches round here are the Quakers and the United Reformed i.e pretty liberal when it comes to homosexuality.

Across the whole of the UK? God knows. I doubt there is any country in the world where it's totally accepted everywhere. It's impossible to guess because we can't predict how immigration rates will change and what demographic changes the country will see, but it's coming.
Original post by zainn
(funny how homophobic has now become a negative word to use :s-smilie:)

It's a negative word because it's almost entirely accepted within the scientific community that a hatred and disapproval of homosexuality is irrational and illogical.

Homosexuality has been considered morally wrong ever since humanity began. It's only recently with the holocaust and over sympathy-winning scenarios that people have started feeling sorry for gays and it's become more prominent.

Yes homosexuality was so morally wrong in Ancient Greece :rolleyes:. I think 'homosexuality has been considered morally wrong since the creation of the Abrahamic religions' would be a more appropriate statement.
2012. Only just over a year left to wait now gays
I hope so soon, but with unaccepting religious people around it's gonna be difficult.
If you mean eating each other's face off in public, then aside from teenagers and chavs no-one does that. Same also applies with holding hands, I don't think any intelligent, adult couple would hold hands whilst walking down the high street.
Original post by zainn
(funny how homophobic has now become a negative word to use :s-smilie:) .

Maybe because it shows a sign of intolerance, which is generally seen as a negative quality...
Reply 32
Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH
2012. Only just over a year left to wait now gays

Poor them; just when the world is about to end, they get accepted...
Reply 33
Original post by CombineHarvester
If you mean eating each other's face off in public, then aside from teenagers and chavs no-one does that. Same also applies with holding hands, I don't think any intelligent, adult couple would hold hands whilst walking down the high street.

Are you serious? I see straight couples acting coupley everywhere I go! Holding hands, hugging, pecks on the cheek, Ikea's the worst place randomly. Some of them are even pregnant or pushing babies, making it blatantly obvious that they've had s e x !!!!

Heterosexuality is everywhere, look at advertising and the media. Think of all those perfume ads around for christmas and imagine if even 10% of them featured homosexual instead of heterosexual relationships, there's be outrage in the Daily Mail!
Reply 34
Original post by Liquidus Zeromus
I don't know. It will probably get worse before it gets better, what with all the Muslim and English Far-Right hatred.

Homosexuality is not defined by public displays of affection in Islam. In the Middle East, it is common for men to greet one another by rubbing their noses in Dubai and men tend to hold hands.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/01/weekinreview/01basics.html
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by CombineHarvester
I don't think any intelligent, adult couple would hold hands whilst walking down the high street.

Why the hell not? What has intelligence got to do with the simple act of holding hands? :lolwut:
Reply 37
i don't really want to see this kind of activity just like i don't want to see straight people kissing it is just off putting
All gay people should be eliminated. I should dread to think what state this world would be in if gay people were allowed to show their cringe worthy affection in public.

You know, Homo sexuals make up a tiny minority of the population. I say, If we planned it out well, we could eradicate homosexuality....once....and .....for ....all!

:colone:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by The_question
All gay people should be eliminated. I should dread to think what state this world would be in if gay people were allowed to show their cringe worthy affection in public.

You know, Homo sexuals make up a tiny minority of the population. I say, If we planned it out well, we could eradicate homosexuality....once....and .....for ....all!

:colone:

Go home gayboy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending