The Student Room Group

Is there something called British arrogance?

Scroll to see replies

British arrogance? Absolutely yes! Arrogance is a big part of the British mindset and yes arrogance can be found in anyone and everyone anywhere but there is a type of arrogance that is only really found in Britain in my experience. And most Brits are too arrogant to realise it is even arrogance or that they are being arrogant...
For the most part, no, but I do hate the whole sort of "WE WON 2 WORLD WARZ!!!11!" mentality. Brits do have a horrendous habit of clinging onto the past and we seriously need to let go, but are British people naturally more arrogant? I severely doubt it.

Original post by ajtiesto
Why, because I'm making a point on a forum.

Another attitude of the Brits, freedom of speach is only when it suits them. We can't say anything about the country now. :rolleyes:

At what point did he restrict your freedom of speech? He disagreed with you, but how that is restricting your freedom of speech, well you're going to have to enlighten me.
Reply 22
Original post by tieyourmotherdown
At what point did he restrict your freedom of speech? He disagreed with you, but how that is restricting your freedom of speech, well you're going to have to enlighten me.

I was speaking in general. For example, if your a muslim and you speak out against the war the in Iraq and Afganistan, your labelled extremist or terrorist and put behind bars. Yet when soldiers kill innocent civilians they're get given medals left, right and centre. F******* ridiculous!

Original post by SnowMonster
You love British people so much you cling to us like a parasite. and I don't care if you were born here, head lice are also born from eggs on peoples hair.

If you hate Britian and the British then detatch yourself from us and go and parasite of some other nation.

So full of yourself. Why would assume I "cling" onto you Brits, I'd rather die. I don't recognise this country, never have and never will. This is all land to me and it is up to me what I choose to do on the land I was born in. Wtf can you do to me, nothing! I can do whatever I like in this country, I don't have to follow your filthy British culture and go to the pub every night drinking myself to death. :rolleyes:
How would you be arrogant due to being British? :curious: What is it about being a Brit that makes you arrogant? :eyebrow:
Reply 24
France and the USA are worse when it comes to arrogance.
(edited 13 years ago)
I was speaking in general. For example, if your a muslim and you speak out against the war the in Iraq and Afganistan, your labelled extremist or terrorist and put behind bars. Yet when soldiers kill innocent civilians they're get given medals left, right and centre. F******* ridiculous!

So full of yourself. Why would assume I "cling" onto you Brits, I'd rather die. I don't recognise this country, never have and never will. This is all land to me and it is up to me what I choose to do on the land I was born in. Wtf can you do to me, nothing! I can do whatever I like in this country, I don't have to follow your filthy British culture and go to the pub every night drinking myself to death. :rolleyes:

I never asked you to follow British culture or if you recgnize this country. I was implying that if you hate it so much why don;t you **** all.

Whenever someone asks you this you constantly go on about " I was born in this country, I **** on it bla bla" that doesnt answer the question. You simply cannot give a reason why you choose to stay here ?
Reply 26
I never asked you to follow British culture or if you recgnize this country. I was implying that if you hate it so much why don;t you **** all.

Whenever someone asks you this you constantly go on about " I was born in this country, I **** on it bla bla" that doesnt answer the question. You simply cannot give a reason why you choose to stay here ?

You've completely ignored all my posts and gone back to square one by asking me something stupid. I will never leave the LAND I was born in, because I believe I was put here by Allah for a reason. Now can you laugh and take the p*** all you like but that's something I genuinely believe in and I honestly couldn't give a **** what you think. By living in this "country" that doesn't mean I have to live the British way of life and do whatever you Brits do daily in your "country". I choose to live my life by my religion here because every thing is in place for me to practice it. So why would I need to move to another "country".
(edited 13 years ago)
To be honest I think there is such a thick veil of political correctness in this country that it is very hard to be patriotic without having the racist label slapped on you.

As for 'British arrogance', I think there are remnants of it from WW2 and from the British Empire, but it seems to become increasingly less prevalent in younger generations.
Reply 28
You love British people so much you cling to us like a parasite. and I don't care if you were born here, head lice are also born from eggs on peoples hair.

If you hate Britian and the British then detatch yourself from us and go and parasite of some other nation.

What if you're British and hate Britain? Where are you meant to go?

I don't, although there are many things about it I don't like. But if I did, it's my country just as much as yours. I can try and change it if I like.
Reply 29
Original post by Crazy Paving
How would you be arrogant due to being British? :curious: What is it about being a Brit that makes you arrogant? :eyebrow:

Could it be that some parts of British history like the slave trade and colonial expansion developed an ingrained arrogance in order for British people to justify their actions. Likewise, The Germans are often viewed as being extremely arrogant.
Original post by Potiron
What if you're British and hate Britain? Where are you meant to go?

I don't, although there are many things about it I don't like. But if I did, it's my country just as much as yours. I can try and change it if I like.

Do you mean indigenous British ?
Reply 31
Do you mean indigenous British ?

Yes, in that in my case I suppose I am indiginous British.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by Bella Occhi
To be honest I think there is such a thick veil of political correctness in this country that it is very hard to be patriotic without having the racist label slapped on you.

As for 'British arrogance', I think there are remnants of it from WW2 and from the British Empire, but it seems to become increasingly less prevalent in younger generations.

That don't me surprise at all.

The lengths people go to, to show how patriotic they are is just laughable.
Original post by Potiron
Yes, in that in my case I suppose I am indiginous British.

Move to Pakistan or somewhere in Africa. then re-assess if you hate Britain or not.
That don't me surprise at all.

The lengths people go to, to show how patriotic they are is just laughable.

Everyone ajtiesto is just pissed because he is your typical Muslim virgin and the only naked women he will ever see in his life will be is ugly first cousin from Pakistan.
Reply 35
British people are rightly proud of our country's great acheivements, both past and present. You don't often see such patriotism worn on our sleeves however, outside of sporting events ( the only venue where it can be tolerated for reasons of political correctness). Do we consider ourselves superior to everybody else? There are certainly countries and cultures which we consider below us and rightly so. But if you think we mistakenly believe we're on top and are blind to our problems then you really can't have had much exposure to our press or discussed your concerns with the average person in the street. We're constantly comparing ourselves negatively to other western and industrialised countries. Just have a look at some of the threads on this site. Perhaps the OP is uncomfortable with any expression of national pride and would rather we bow down to multiculturalism, Europe, the UN and other globalist institutions
Add that to, British racism, British selfishness, British Greediness and British obsession.

And yet you or your family came to England because you or they gained by doing so.
(edited 13 years ago)
Add that to, British racism, British selfishness, British Greediness and British obsession.

I'm interested to know where the hatred towards the country that you or your family left home for a better life came from?

I'm also interested to know whether you actually know any English people, do you have any English mates? I'm sure if you got to know some you'd come to understand that they are not actually the spawn of Satan.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 38
Everyone ajtiesto is just pissed because he is your typical Muslim virgin and the only naked women he will ever see in his life will be is ugly first cousin from Pakistan.

Yeh, cool story satan. :rolleyes:
Why are you all trying to debate with ajtiesto? He's an annoying, aggressive and angry little man with a massive chip on his shoulder so just ignore him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending