The Student Room Group

people who argue with you for the sake of trying to look academic?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by shinytoy
guys,

do you know any people where if you make a statement, they will argue and argue until they are blue in the face not becauuse they have a valid point they are trying to make, but just purely to try to look academic by creating then winning an argument?

its totally annoying and pointless

its the same type of people who will listen to the teacher in class, then try their hardest to ask the most complex question possible not because they have a question to ask but because they want to show off to everyone how bright they are.

does anyoen else find this totally irritating?

That's pretty much everyone on this ****ty forum
Original post by IndigoRockGirl
yeah me too lol x

Nice to meet you :biggrin:
Didn't go to eton for 7 years to listen to your sh*t
Reply 83
Original post by shinytoy
guys,

do you know any people where if you make a statement, they will argue and argue until they are blue in the face not becauuse they have a valid point they are trying to make, but just purely to try to look academic by creating then winning an argument?

its totally annoying and pointless

its the same type of people who will listen to the teacher in class, then try their hardest to ask the most complex question possible not because they have a question to ask but because they want to show off to everyone how bright they are.

does anyoen else find this totally irritating?

I'm one of them. :ninja:

But I actually say important, reasoned arguments. Some of the dogmatic drivel the others can come out with is unbelievable - certainly in the more technical of my modules.
Reply 84
Uurgh, tell me about it. -_- The people in my year group (back when we were in year 12) were all kind of like that, just because no one really knew anyone else very well so they wanted a chance to establish themselves/be recognised. But now we're all in year 13 and its really chilled, we're all quite comfortable now so there's no need to make a statement :biggrin:

Although, while working in my school library once I did have the misfortune of listening to some of the new year 12's, all trying to outsmart each other, make out they knew so much about politics (believe me, they really didn't)...it was irritating yet somewhat endearing. Kind of like 'Aw, bless them' :rolleyes:
Original post by Reelo
Uurgh, tell me about it. -_- The people in my year group (back when we were in year 12) were all kind of like that, just because no one really knew anyone else very well so they wanted a chance to establish themselves/be recognised. But now we're all in year 13 and its really chilled, we're all quite comfortable now so there's no need to make a statement :biggrin:

Although, while working in my school library once I did have the misfortune of listening to some of the new year 12's, all trying to outsmart each other, make out they knew so much about politics (believe me, they really didn't)...it was irritating yet somewhat endearing. Kind of like 'Aw, bless them' :rolleyes:

lol All stopped in one year?
Reply 86
Original post by blueray
lol All stopped in one year?

Pretty much :smile: I don't think that anyone in my year is actually like that by nature, its just that they felt the need to do it. Before people were too scared to ask each other for help because it would make them appear stupid etc...now it really doesn't seem to matter :smile:
Original post by Reelo
Pretty much :smile: I don't think that anyone in my year is actually like that by nature, its just that they felt the need to do it. Before people were too scared to ask each other for help because it would make them appear stupid etc...now it really doesn't seem to matter :smile:

Wow what college or sixth form is this? :biggrin:
My friend often does that using the excuse his playing devils advocate to 'ensure our debates are not stifled'. His such a prick at times. People like this are out for one thing only and that is not academic discussion. Instead to ****ing annoy you. So just ignore it :wink:
Reply 89
I always argue things and I don't do it to try and look academic. If it's worth arguing then do it.
Reply 90
Original post by Reformed2010
My friend often does that using the excuse his playing devils advocate to 'ensure our debates are not stifled'. His such a prick at times. People like this are out for one thing only and that is not academic discussion. Instead to ****ing annoy you. So just ignore it :wink:

I disagree.
Reply 91
Just reading this thread is making me angry. It really frustrates me! Especially when they keep going on about one point, despite the fact that the argument has moved beyond it, but they can only work with their prepared material.
On the other end of the scale, they don't even have any decent points, they just talk absolute crap.
A fair few people spring to mind. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending