The Student Room Group

Why am I treated so differently?

This is cliché I know, but I am 18 now, and I can remember things being different for me ever since I was little. Me and any of my siblings can make the same mistake and I could get punished for it so much harsher. If I argue with a sibling, rather than asking both what happened and trying to sort the problem a fair way, my mum just instantly assumes I am the problem, then proceeds to not allow me to speak. If however, she has witnessed the thing e.g today my younger brother repeatedly told me to shut up and threw a ball at me ‘by accident’, my mother will just say ‘why did you react ?’ and blame the incident on me for responding. I have tried to play to her rules many times, by not reacting, speaking with full kindness and respect, and never giving a reason for an argument to start, but al that gets me is more disrespect from my younger brother who takes advantage of my trying to prevent this from landing on my head, and my older siblings also take advantage of this. E.g., my older brother repeatedly calls me a name I don’t like multiple times every day (Ik he’s my brother and that’s what they do) but my mum just says it’s my fault for responding to him. It has gotten to the point where I have to take videos of my younger brother coming into my room and saying rude things or even sometimes hitting me, just so I can show my mum that he does these things without reason. My mum will say ‘ok I will sort it’ but never says anything to him. As a result, his disrespect for me gets worse because he knows he can get away with it. My older siblings are also under this illusion that they can manipulate things to make them seem to be my fault. I know I sound crazy on here but I swear, I get the blame for 99% of our family problems. I will never forget one time somebody in the house had broken a glass and not cleaned it up, and despite my little brother owning up to it, my mums exact to me words were’I don’t care what anyone else says, I want to say you did it, so you did it’. I sound crazy Ik, and please tell me if I am a drama queen, and if I am the problem here but I feel so alone most the time at home, and I really feel like the black sheep. I don’t fit in, but not for a lack of trying. Someone pls tell me I’m not overthinking this! Xx
Original post by Anonymous #1
This is cliché I know, but I am 18 now, and I can remember things being different for me ever since I was little. Me and any of my siblings can make the same mistake and I could get punished for it so much harsher. If I argue with a sibling, rather than asking both what happened and trying to sort the problem a fair way, my mum just instantly assumes I am the problem, then proceeds to not allow me to speak. If however, she has witnessed the thing e.g today my younger brother repeatedly told me to shut up and threw a ball at me ‘by accident’, my mother will just say ‘why did you react ?’ and blame the incident on me for responding. I have tried to play to her rules many times, by not reacting, speaking with full kindness and respect, and never giving a reason for an argument to start, but al that gets me is more disrespect from my younger brother who takes advantage of my trying to prevent this from landing on my head, and my older siblings also take advantage of this. E.g., my older brother repeatedly calls me a name I don’t like multiple times every day (Ik he’s my brother and that’s what they do) but my mum just says it’s my fault for responding to him. It has gotten to the point where I have to take videos of my younger brother coming into my room and saying rude things or even sometimes hitting me, just so I can show my mum that he does these things without reason. My mum will say ‘ok I will sort it’ but never says anything to him. As a result, his disrespect for me gets worse because he knows he can get away with it. My older siblings are also under this illusion that they can manipulate things to make them seem to be my fault. I know I sound crazy on here but I swear, I get the blame for 99% of our family problems. I will never forget one time somebody in the house had broken a glass and not cleaned it up, and despite my little brother owning up to it, my mums exact to me words were’I don’t care what anyone else says, I want to say you did it, so you did it’. I sound crazy Ik, and please tell me if I am a drama queen, and if I am the problem here but I feel so alone most the time at home, and I really feel like the black sheep. I don’t fit in, but not for a lack of trying. Someone pls tell me I’m not overthinking this! Xx

Without hearing their side of the story or witnessing the events myself, I can't really make a fair comment.

Having said that and based on what you have described, it sounds like really bad parenting. It also sounds like your siblings are a complete pain to deal with. Are you the middle child?

Chances are, if your siblings don't change, things won't change. Your mum isn't likely going to change at all, and if she does it would take a very long time. I can't tell you when your siblings will grow up (people are mentally maturing later and later in life for some reason), if they ever do. However, what I would instead focus on is what you want to do with your life instead of the problems they keep giving you.

The other thing that I also recommend learning to do is to be more assertive and managing other people. This would come in handy for life in general as well as the workplace, where there's a possibility that you would come across people who can treat you in a similar fashion. You need to learn how to handle such situations properly where you don't end up losing out or having things escalated. I can't recommend how you should go about this though.
hey love, honestly you are not overreacting or being a drama queen at all!!! im sorry you are going through that, personally i dont have the best relationship with my mother either, we argue all the time. but what has helped me is facing it head-on. have you spoken to her directly and said how you have felt? try that if you haven't make sure to tell her how it is making you feel on a daily basis. i wish you all the best, you're feelings are valid <3
Reply 3
Your siblings and mum are the problem in this situation, not you. If you get the chance, you could try talking to your mum in private about it and see what she says.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #2
Without hearing their side of the story or witnessing the events myself, I can't really make a fair comment.

Having said that and based on what you have described, it sounds like really bad parenting. It also sounds like your siblings are a complete pain to deal with. Are you the middle child?

Chances are, if your siblings don't change, things won't change. Your mum isn't likely going to change at all, and if she does it would take a very long time. I can't tell you when your siblings will grow up (people are mentally maturing later and later in life for some reason), if they ever do. However, what I would instead focus on is what you want to do with your life instead of the problems they keep giving you.

The other thing that I also recommend learning to do is to be more assertive and managing other people. This would come in handy for life in general as well as the workplace, where there's a possibility that you would come across people who can treat you in a similar fashion. You need to learn how to handle such situations properly where you don't end up losing out or having things escalated. I can't recommend how you should go about this though.

Thank you for responding 😊 I can tell you their side of the story; I am a problem child, I don’t get on with anyone and I have the worst behaviour/attitude. As a matter of fact I am the middle 😂!
I will definitely take your advice to focus on me more! However, when at home it is quite difficult to pretend things aren’t unfair for me. I am going to uni this year though, so I am not obliged to be home all the time, so I guess that’s a bonus.

In regards to being more assertive, in my house, assertiveness or using your voice is seen as a form of being disrespectful (only for some household members i.e., me). However, I am trying my best now, and am at my wits end with my siblings. I have warned my mum that if she cannot discipline them then I cannot be held accountable for the lack of respect they will get in response, so I guess she knows what to expect. Hopefully, things change soon, but I won’t have long left at home anyway since I’m 18! Xx
Reply 5
Original post by saralovesmay
hey love, honestly you are not overreacting or being a drama queen at all!!! im sorry you are going through that, personally i dont have the best relationship with my mother either, we argue all the time. but what has helped me is facing it head-on. have you spoken to her directly and said how you have felt? try that if you haven't make sure to tell her how it is making you feel on a daily basis. i wish you all the best, you're feelings are valid <3

Thank you for responding 😊 in the past I have tried this and have actually felt it has helped, although I honestly feel like recently I have lost touch with my mum. However, it’s definitely something I am willing to try again, if not for anything else, for the sake of a better home relationship! Xx
Reply 6
Original post by rosy_posy
Your siblings and mum are the problem in this situation, not you. If you get the chance, you could try talking to your mum in private about it and see what she says.

Thank you for your help! I am hoping to speak to my mum, as I don’t want this to carry on any longer. I am an 18 year old, grown woman with a voice! If all else fails, I am at uni this year so should hopefully not have to be home as much, and maybe move out when the right person comes along! Xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending