The Student Room Group

Self harm - chilli eating?

Instead of cutting yourself, why don't people who self harm just eat really hot chillies?
Rather then being ostracised for having cuts and all, you end up with something that could turn into a neat party trick and is perfectly safe yet causes ungodly amounts of agony. :redface:
You wanna try it first? :awesome:
Reply 2
Self-Harm... as a Party trick? Interesting.
Reply 3
Eating spicy hot things along with pinging an elastic band against your skin or holding ice cubes until it hurts is actually sometimes the advice given out by mental health teams when dealing with people who self harm, the idea being to replace the destructive act with something that leaves no lasting damage but at the same time helps alleviate the urges to harm oneself.
Reply 4
Original post by fire2burn
Eating spicy hot things along with pinging an elastic band against your skin or holding ice cubes until it hurts is actually sometimes the advice given out by mental health teams when dealing with people who self harm, the idea being to replace the destructive act with something that leaves no lasting damage but at the same time helps alleviate the urges to harm oneself.

Believe it or not, this guy speaks the truth.
Reply 5
Original post by kristinaalovesu
You wanna try it first? :awesome:

Well, I have tried eating hot chillies and that is why I came up with this idea as it was so painful!

Original post by fire2burn

Really? Well I have to say it makes sense from my perspective, hence the suggestion. Also, I'm kind of pleased with myself that it is suggested professionally and I still thought up of the idea on my own...:awesome:
Original post by Jimbo1234

Original post by Jimbo1234
Well, I have tried eating hot chillies and that is why I came up with this idea as it was so painful!

Indeed. I accidentally ate one small chilly before and it was an atomic bomb inside my mouth.
The only thing that helped the pain subside is when i put a teaspoonful of sugar in my mouth.
Reply 7
I used to do this with my best mate back in year 8 and eating raw chillis can really induce pure agony in the mouth.

The fact that we are both ultra competitive meant that we usually ate about 4 and the person who ate the 5th usually won, which was usually him.

Not bad advice actually for self harmers.
Most possibly for the same reason they chose to cut conspicuous places (forearms) rather than easily hidden places like the soles of their feet.

Or perhaps they 'aren't thinking straight at the time'

Quick Reply

Latest