The Student Room Group

Urgent help choosing as levels !

I have now come to the stage where i have to give in my application forms for colleges (IN 2 WEEKS) and have to decide which AS subjects to choose, i plan to either study Law/Economics at university my current choice of subjects are
MATHEMATICS
ECONOMICS
ENGLISH LANGUAGE + MAYBE WITH LIT - (GIMME ADVICE FOR THIS BTW I DO NOT WISH TO TAKE LITERATURE ON ITS OWN)
HISTORY

I am contemplating on whether to take history , will it make the work load to much for me and drag down grades should i go for something like sociology? Also whether i should take English language or have it with literature? I hopefully plan on applying to elite Universities in the future dependent on the grades i achieve ?
Some help and direction would be really helpful and i would like to thank you soooo much in advance :biggrin:

PS - I am currently in year 11 and predicted mainly A*'s and A's for my GCSES just to give a background.
Reply 1
Original post by Chizzle123
I have now come to the stage where i have to give in my application forms for colleges (IN 2 WEEKS) and have to decide which AS subjects to choose, i plan to either study Law/Economics at university my current choice of subjects are
MATHEMATICS
ECONOMICS
ENGLISH LANGUAGE + MAYBE WITH LIT - (GIMME ADVICE FOR THIS BTW I DO NOT WISH TO TAKE LITERATURE ON ITS OWN)
HISTORY

I am contemplating on whether to take history , will it make the work load to much for me and drag down grades should i go for something like sociology? Also whether i should take English language or have it with literature? I hopefully plan on applying to elite Universities in the future dependent on the grades i achieve ?
Some help and direction would be really helpful and i would like to thank you soooo much in advance :biggrin:

PS - I am currently in year 11 and predicted mainly A*'s and A's for my GCSES just to give a background.

okay, do economics, i did it and its pretty piss. Umm depends how good you are at math's, if you plan to study economics you need it. Although my sis went to cambridge to do law and didnt do A-level math's and got in. SO dont overcomplicate things for yourself if you dont need to. Do english as you'l need it. Also you need history for law.

Seriously take it easy with A-levels, when i first did my AS, i chose complicated subjects to make it look better, but after couple of month's decided to drop half of them and do easy subjects, like engineering, russian, economics and finance. And now going Nottingham next year to study sociology :/.

Make it easy.
Definitely take economics. You should definitely consider History, particularly for law. I'm doing History at A2, it's great and I enjoy it but yes its certainly hard work! I think it's better to go for a subject like History rather than sociology. I do English lit and language as well, lit is preferred by universities generally but I enjoy language more hence why I plan on doing Linguistics at uni :smile: Choose carefully and make sure they're subjects you actually like, not want you think universities will want :biggrin: Good luck.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks for the help guyssss :biggrin: could someone help me with what the work load would be regarding i choose the four subjects i have stated above
Work load for maths should be a peice of piss, I'm doing intense A level maths and have just covered C1, C2 and M1 and I've found it quite manageble, with twice the time you'll be fine. Two of my best freins take the other three subjects and from what they tell me they're always bogged down with essays! They also tell me there is a hell of a lot to learn in History. They're taking modern. Hope this answers your Q :smile:
Reply 5
oh okkk but overall do you think the four subjects i wish to do , will they be manageable ?
Original post by Chizzle123
oh okkk but overall do you think the four subjects i wish to do , will they be manageable ?

Definitely.

Quick Reply

Latest