The Student Room Group

Should i drop out of sixth form-really confused? :s

Heyy =) .. well im at a really good sixth form and i'm in year 12 doing Chemistry, Biology, Psychology & Sociology... i've got my exams in less than 2 weeks and i'm really stressed and nervous; i think i'm goin to fail as it is too hard and complicated. So i was thinking of dropping out? Or dropping out after AS and starting again at College with similar or different A Levels if i don't do well this year, so i would have a head, fresh new start and be more motivated etc?

But, does completeing AS, mean that i would still be able to use the UCAS points aswell as my A Levels which i would do in college, to use when applying for university?? :s ..if you do, then thats good :smile:... i am thinking of doing Applied Science (double award) instead of biology and chemistry; is this bad thing to do, as applied science might not be taken by Unis as academic A Levels ? I'm really stressed and confused
..and i was thinking, that because i am really struggling with chemistry and biology, that i wouldn't be suited to become a pharmacist like i wanted to before.. and i now have realised that i'm not too interested in direct chemistry if ugm.. but i really enjoy and find psychology interesting and i got an A* for GCSE and i'm doing it for A-levels... so i was considering Clinical Psychology??? but apparently the NHS jobs are cutting short.. so its said to not be a good out-look for a psychology career in the future? But, then i would be realllyy confused on my future career :sss... has anyone got any suggestions, tips etc etc.. ??? they would be REALLY appreciated and useful ! thankyouu sooo muchh (n m sorry about this essay.. but its about my future) <3 xxxxxxxxxxx
Reply 1
I can't really give any words as wisdom as i'm at the same stage as you but i really think you should stick it out untill the end of AS (or atleast untill you get your january results anyways)
You might do alot better that you think, everyone I know seems to be in the "ahhh i'm going to fail!" position and i'm sure many of those people will do fine in their exams, plus if you got an A* at gcse you should be capable of doing fine at a level :smile:

concentrate on doing well now not on what you're gonna do if you fail in the future

believe in yourself :danceboy:
Reply 2
Hi,
i think personally you should just work hard for exams coming up, your A level options are useful if you want to go into a science field. You should not take a gap year as it will minimise the chances of you getting in a good uni. I think that if you work hard and still fail then maybe you should reconsider your education plan. Anyway, you shouldn't worry because you should have done your revision and revision notes as you was learnig, so you wouldn't be worried about the exams?

Just try your best now and when you get ur results then panic!:smile:
Heres the deal: Don't do subjects that you don't enjoy especially looking towards Uni because you WILL end up dropping out. If I were you, I'd compete this year and then start moving towards what I really want to do.

Remember: You can do A-Levels and degrees at any time in your life... So go and be a rockstar.
^ Is that supposed to be funny? She may well actually listen to you! Lol.
I know Sciences are quite difficult as I'm also doing Biology & Chemistry, the key to doing well is preparing from the start - there's a lot of content. Seriously, try to do well for your January exams atleast and you do have a shot to do them again in June - that doesn't mean fail them though. Try your hardest now and learn your lesson to prepare efficiently for the upcoming exams in June otherwise you'll probably have to resit the year. And if you are finding the work piling, drop a subject perhaps?
Reply 6
You going to give up everytime something gets hard?

Great life ahead of you then.
Original post by shahedul
^ Is that supposed to be funny? She may well actually listen to you! Lol.

Yes and No, because it kinda' happened to me a few months back.
If you drop out and restart Year 12 again, you cannot use any UCAS points you gained from doing your AS Level's first time round. They're effectively wiped clear and you start call over again with a fresh slate.

As for the more immediate future my advice would be to see how January goes. The gap between GCSE and A-Level is very big so there's no shame in struggling with it all because a large portion of students find it difficult in some way or another. Put all your effort into these January exams and if things do't go according to plan then you can have a rethink. Remember you can always retake in the summer.
Original post by sara.xx
Heyy =) .. well im at a really good sixth form and i'm in year 12 doing Chemistry, Biology, Psychology & Sociology... i've got my exams in less than 2 weeks and i'm really stressed and nervous; i think i'm goin to fail as it is too hard and complicated. So i was thinking of dropping out? Or dropping out after AS and starting again at College with similar or different A Levels if i don't do well this year, so i would have a head, fresh new start and be more motivated etc?

But, does completeing AS, mean that i would still be able to use the UCAS points aswell as my A Levels which i would do in college, to use when applying for university?? :s ..if you do, then thats good :smile:... i am thinking of doing Applied Science (double award) instead of biology and chemistry; is this bad thing to do, as applied science might not be taken by Unis as academic A Levels ? I'm really stressed and confused
..and i was thinking, that because i am really struggling with chemistry and biology, that i wouldn't be suited to become a pharmacist like i wanted to before.. and i now have realised that i'm not too interested in direct chemistry if ugm.. but i really enjoy and find psychology interesting and i got an A* for GCSE and i'm doing it for A-levels... so i was considering Clinical Psychology??? but apparently the NHS jobs are cutting short.. so its said to not be a good out-look for a psychology career in the future? But, then i would be realllyy confused on my future career :sss... has anyone got any suggestions, tips etc etc.. ??? they would be REALLY appreciated and useful ! thankyouu sooo muchh (n m sorry about this essay.. but its about my future) <3 xxxxxxxxxxx

Id stick with your a-levels for now- see how you do in your exams this year. If you do badly then you could always resit anyway.
But if you did start again in september, then you can actually use you as levels from this year on your ucas, which can only be a good thing. If you do start again at a different college and you are unsure about what subjects to do and what career path to take with regard to uni etc then you can speak to teachers/careers advisors etc who will be able to help you out making those choices.
Hope this helps.
Reply 10
Original post by 16ARTER
Hi,
i think personally you should just work hard for exams coming up, your A level options are useful if you want to go into a science field. You should not take a gap year as it will minimise the chances of you getting in a good uni. I think that if you work hard and still fail then maybe you should reconsider your education plan. Anyway, you shouldn't worry because you should have done your revision and revision notes as you was learnig, so you wouldn't be worried about the exams?

Just try your best now and when you get ur results then panic!:smile:

Agree with all of the above - give it a shot, do your best in the exams, you might be pleasantly surprised. The feelings you are having now are probably a combo of nerves and stress in the run up to exams. Do your best and see what happens - don't make any decisions till after the exams. GOOD LUCK

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending