The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kay_mart1
I know same. I don't see why they don't just give us our results on the day!:frown: To bo honest, even if i have the result, i wouldn't know what is good!
I'm English born and English bred but i have quite a bit of family in France:smile:
And your grades are fantastic, absolutely amazing - 6A's!!! Super well done
What does your AES say?

Thanks :smile: I just hope I get them in the exams :smile: Three A's is brilliant as well though! :biggrin:

AES says:

•Your application has been received by the Department
•Your application has not yet been received by a College

and has said that since October.! :angry: So irratating.. the aes just makes me worse.. now im checking my email and that all the time and it never changes!!:angry:

What does yours say?? It doesn't really tell you much about your application
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2041
Original post by skypig97
It seems unlikely, but I can't imagine asking would do any harm. You may want to approach St John's and see if you can talk them into working on your behalf.

What subject are you planning to study? Are you going up for the Open Days?

Geology, and yeh I'm planning to go to the open day. I just feel that Cuths is massive and It'll be really hard to fit in....oohh I'm just getting paranoid now :rolleyes: Somebody reassure me!
I might send a short e-mail off to them esquiring, part of me wants to wait till after the open day because I want to give Cuths a chance!
Original post by stafford1992
nah i havn't heard anything either,
soz about oxford btw, my friend got a rejection too and he really should have got in,
hae you got any idea what durham's LNAT cut off point is?

In the past Durham rejected people with a 20 and below (obviously with exception). This was when it was out of 30. So now its probably somewhere between a 26-29 cutoff. Just a guess though.
Original post by LukethePianoMan
Anyone know the best way of getting to Durham? I saw a train from my nearest station would take 3 and a half hours and is £80 return, worth it?

I live 5 and a half hours away and i've found the odd train for about £20 for one way. Try thetrainline.com and if you look for trains in the middle of the day (usually at very odd off peak times) there are some cheap ones.
OR you could try mega train / mega bus. a few cheap fares there
Original post by angelmxxx
Really great, I did 6 subjects last year and I'm doing 4 this year - there are far fewer prerequisites for social sciences and arts so I'm really lucky. I doubt there'll be huge overlaps with yours, probably just seeing different ways to approach a problem, and how to prove things which you take for granted in the other subject.

SIX??? Woah! You can do whatever you want then :smile:
What college are you at?
Original post by problemstruckperson
I live 5 and a half hours away and i've found the odd train for about £20 for one way. Try thetrainline.com and if you look for trains in the middle of the day (usually at very odd off peak times) there are some cheap ones.
OR you could try mega train / mega bus. a few cheap fares there

kk Thanks, I'll try that :smile:
Reply 2046
Sociology, Social Policy and Education. St Chads.

However I highly doubt i'll get in as my GCSE grades aren't too great (although this wasn't entirely my fault as my school failed to realise I have servere dyslexia so I got no support, I also missed a year of school due to illness). However I don't think this is being taken into consideration. I also do a BTEC which Durham aren't too keen on, along with 2 A-Levels, I do the equivilent of 4 A-Levels and 2 AS-Levels. But unfortunatly I don't think this will help me. Ahh well, I've got an offer from Nottingham, so I'm happy with that!
kk Thanks, I'll try that :smile:

I've only recently come across Megabus. This would give you the slow but seriously cheap option. I reckon that you could currently book buses from Birmingham airport to Newcastle for £1.50 return. You'de then have to get the train (probably) between Newcastle and Durham
Train takes 8 hours with 3 stops -__- I think I might have to do easyjet or something for this open day!
Original post by nuttynatz
Thanks :smile: I just hope I get them in the exams :smile: Three A's is brilliant as well though! :biggrin:

AES says:

•Your application has been received by the Department
•Your application has not yet been received by a College

and has said that since October.! :angry: So irratating.. the aes just makes me worse.. now im checking my email and that all the time and it never changes!!:angry:

What does yours say?? It doesn't really tell you much about your application

Argh saaaame. It's becoming an unhealthy obsession to check it every day!
I'm thinking more and more now that Durham is a bit too much of an ambitious choice...i have back up offers but i have totally set my heart on Durham...probs shouldn't have!
Let me know if your application status changes though:biggrin:
Good luck!:smile:
Original post by tiny hobbit
I've only recently come across Megabus. This would give you the slow but seriously cheap option. I reckon that you could currently book buses from Birmingham airport to Newcastle for £1.50 return. You'de then have to get the train (probably) between Newcastle and Durham

£1.50 return?? On the website they said it would be £17 each way! I'll look further
SIX??? Woah! You can do whatever you want then :smile:
What college are you at?

yeah....the official maximum is 4, but Combined social scientists and artists have a compulsory module in the 1st year which is a separate subject (so the real max is 5), and business & economics count as 1 subject for the regulations but are two separate ones really, so 6 :smile:
Original post by gemily
Sociology, Social Policy and Education. St Chads.

However I highly doubt i'll get in as my GCSE grades aren't too great (although this wasn't entirely my fault as my school failed to realise I have servere dyslexia so I got no support, I also missed a year of school due to illness). However I don't think this is being taken into consideration. I also do a BTEC which Durham aren't too keen on, along with 2 A-Levels, I do the equivilent of 4 A-Levels and 2 AS-Levels. But unfortunatly I don't think this will help me. Ahh well, I've got an offer from Nottingham, so I'm happy with that!

is that via combined social sciences? Haven't heard of social policy at Durham, is it in the politics department?

Good luck!
Original post by Noodlzzz
Train takes 8 hours with 3 stops -__- I think I might have to do easyjet or something for this open day!

where are you going from?!
where are you going from?!

Bounremouth :redface:
Original post by Noodlzzz
Bounremouth :redface:

Flying could be the best option then :frown: although allow plenty of time to get from the airport to Durham (you'll have to get the metro and then a train).

Edit - I put Bournemouth to Durham into the trainline for tomorrow and it says you can go from Bournemouth to Winchester, then Winchester direct to Durham.

06:56 Bournemouth
07:47 Winchester Train SOUTH WEST TRAINS 00h 51
08:01 Winchester
13:30 Durham Train CROSSCOUNTRY 05h 29

(Does take ages though!) - not sure how many Winchester - Durham trains there are each day but might be worth having a look at?
(edited 13 years ago)
yeah....the official maximum is 4, but Combined social scientists and artists have a compulsory module in the 1st year which is a separate subject (so the real max is 5), and business & economics count as 1 subject for the regulations but are two separate ones really, so 6 :smile:

Ye I hear 4 being bounded around a lot, though 2 will be the maximum for me! As long as I stay on top of the work I'll be OK. What college do you attend?
Ye I hear 4 being bounded around a lot, though 2 will be the maximum for me! As long as I stay on top of the work I'll be OK. What college do you attend?

I'm at Hild Bede :smile:

If you decide you do want to do another subject, you can always swap to a BSc and then do a separate Masters, although obviously that costs a lot more for the 4th year, and hopefully you won't want to leave Durham so you may as well do the undergraduate masters.

Though for the people starting in 2012 it'll cost about the same so I guess people might start going for that option.
Original post by kay_mart1
Argh saaaame. It's becoming an unhealthy obsession to check it every day!
I'm thinking more and more now that Durham is a bit too much of an ambitious choice...i have back up offers but i have totally set my heart on Durham...probs shouldn't have!
Let me know if your application status changes though:biggrin:
Good luck!:smile:

I think my obsession has passed unhealthy:biggrin: Think positive though.. its good to be ambitious :smile:!..

thanks so much let me know to (and I'll try not to be to jealous).. and good luck! Hopefully we'll see each other at durham this time next year:smile: I can dream :biggrin:
I'm at Hild Bede :smile:

If you decide you do want to do another subject, you can always swap to a BSc and then do a separate Masters, although obviously that costs a lot more for the 4th year, and hopefully you won't want to leave Durham so you may as well do the undergraduate masters.

Though for the people starting in 2012 it'll cost about the same so I guess people might start going for that option.

Wait so the fee's are going to stay the same?! :shock:

Latest