The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 800
still cant believe how we managed to draw this.
Reply 801
Chamakh would have scored.
Reply 802
Honest to God. Can these cunthammers not just leave our team alone :colonhash::colonhash::colonhash:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11670_6638009,00.html
Reply 803
JK.
OP
Original post by M_E_X
I'll answer by paragraph (just to keep this clear)

I was watching on the TV and saw several replays, I honestly don't think it was a penalty. It his Kompany almost under his arm, or right on his shoulder anyway, as he was turning away from the ball. He did have his arm stuck right out (horizontally), and if it hit that it would have been a penalty, but it didn't. No pen imo.

I don't think they were playing Tevez to hit you on the counter. If they were, they would have played pacy wingers to actually counter-attack. Imo their plan was to hold the ball up with Tevez. He did do really well at this, at the pub I was watching at everyone was amazed, you guys just couldn't tackle him at times, he was just turning one way and the other, playing simple passes...he was amazing I thought.

You guys played good attacking football, but - maybe slightly controversial here - you didn't actually have that many clear cut chances. I don't think you had a single one-on-one, for example, and Hart didn't have to make many great saves. He saved one from RVP from outside the box, probably the only 'great' save he made. Right near the start one of your players was sliding in on goal and the ball went in front of him - close, but he didn't put it in. You hit the woodwork three times - two of them Hart had covered, the other he was well beaten, fair enough. But although Arsenal had lots of possession they didn't actually have many clear-cut good chances, imo - you'd have to look at the stats for that, but I don't count shots from outside the box really as good chances (unless it's RVP or someone, which Hart saved well), you didn't have any one-on-ones or anything...

You guys dominated the game at times, especially in the first 20 minutes, but City played well as well, and they executed their plan more effectively than you executed yours. It was a great game to watch as a neutral :biggrin:

Fair enough, like I say, I've not had the benefit of replays, at the time it looked like it hit his arm rather than under it, but I can't argue otherwise. :yy:

Not sure on Tevez's role, tbh. I see what you mean about the lack of wingers for a counter attack strategy, but Milner was playing wide and they obviously brought Johnson on for attacking purposes. Their main focus was clearly on defence, still think they hoped to use Tevez as an attacking outlet rather than just someone to hold the play up, though.

At the time of the game it seemed as though Tevez was holding it okay but had no end product. On reflection, you're probably right, especially considering how little support he had. I just think there were times though, when the ball fell to him higher up the field and he did try to create the chances but our defence just nullified the threat he posed. It wasn't so much a matter of him turning the defence inside out as us purposefully not committing so as to prevent an opening for him to get through. I guess it all depends on how you view the roles of the players involved, particularly Tevez. Had you asked us before the game whether or not we'd take Tevez playing a role whereby he would be purely used to hold the ball up and not create any chances, I doubt you'd find many fans who would say no, especially considering the absence of Silva.

I understand your point about clear cut chances, but I don't agree with the one on one part, when a team plays as deep as City did last night, one on ones aren't really a great possibility, certainly not as they would be in even a slightly more open game. I think there were a few times that we played clever balls over but were a bit unlucky and City did enough, I certainly remember Theo trying to latch onto a through ball but he couldn't make his pace really count against Zaba. Admittedly the RvP save was the only real one he had to make, due to his good positioning, some unremarkable striking and perhaps a bit of misfortune too, a lot of other attempts ended up straight down his throat. There was a great chance at the start where Wilshere should have finished the move with a goal, instead it ended as a disappointing drag back and RvP couldn't make contact, I think Theo picked it up and Cesc was unlucky not to finish as Barry to well to get a block in. Shortly after this Wilshere had another chance as he shot from the edge of the box, this, like some of the other chances went straight at Hart. Dunno if anyone picked up on it, but RvP made a clever little run just off Wilshere and had Jack picked him out with one of his well weighted through balls that are becoming a bit of a trademark, RvP would have been one on one and definitely favourite to score. There were the chances that hit the woodwork that you mention, again a bit of good fortune and they'd have ended up in the back of the net. I dunno, it seemed as though there were a lot of chances, some of which were clear cut some of which weren't, it's just that with so much attacking pressure, something should have been made to tell. Maybe our fans are somewhat overstating how many real chances we had, I'm not sure, perhaps its just that having seen a fair few games in the last couple of years where we've dominated for large parts against Chelsea and United, yet not had a sniff let alone been able to craft some of the opportunities we did yesterday, it just seemed as though things really are starting to click and it's getting fans a bit excited, even if they don't really realise it themselves and are reacting this way.

I'm sure it was a great game as a neutral. Not being neutral it was frustrating as ****. :colonhash:

Original post by jk1986
Think it shows citeh's attitude to the arse, they knew they couldn't win so went anti-football. Their fans were possibly the worst away fans I've seen at the emirates (blackpool fans were louder 5 goals down) but who can blame them having to watch that bs I guess..

Their fans were indeed, pretty damn awful. Was surprising really, they've been decent before. They only made their first bit of noise after the final whistle and tbh, I wouldn't feel anywhere near as smug as they seemed after that match.

Original post by R-KAM
Honest to God. Can these cunthammers not just leave our team alone :colonhash::colonhash::colonhash:

Heard about this yesterday. Why can't they just **** off? :colonhash:
Reply 804
Original post by R-KAM

Meh, its just rumours. Not really happening now tbh. Thiago will break into the first team soon enough.
Reply 805
Original post by S-man10

Original post by S-man10
Meh, its just rumours. Not really happening now tbh. Thiago will break into the first team soon enough.

They are currently scouring his family tree looking for a reason to pull out the ol' Barca DNA bull**** :colonhash:
Reply 806
Original post by R-KAM
They are currently scouring his family tree looking for a reason to pull out the ol' Barca DNA bull**** :colonhash:

I knew you were gong to say that. :rofl2: I was tempted to say it myself tbh.

Although a Nasri, Iniesta, Xavi and Messi midfield would be :sogood: ffs.
(edited 13 years ago)
There's no quotes mentioning Barca's interest, not even a Sky Sports understands line, ffs. Relax......
Reply 808
Original post by S-man10

Original post by S-man10
I knew you were gong to say that. :rofl2: I was tempted to say it myself tbh.

Although a Nasri, Iniesta, Xavi and Messi midfield would be :sogood: ffs.

I'd have shot you if you did :pierre:

So sell us Xavi, Iniesta and Messi :teeth:
Reply 809
Original post by JK.
Fair enough, like I say, I've not had the benefit of replays, at the time it looked like it hit his arm rather than under it, but I can't argue otherwise. :yy:

Good post mate, I agree with most of the stuff written there :smile:. I'm trying to find a video of the penalty appeal but I can't, you'd think this stuff would be available on youtube or whatever but I can't find it :/

I definitely get what you mean about it being difficult to create good chances when they just sit with 7 players in/around the box literally the whole game, and Milner and Jo getting back most of the time too :frown:
Original post by vn2009
still cant believe how we managed to draw this.

Not finishing your chances. Same old Arsenal.
Reply 811
JK.
OP
Messi's already going to Blackpool. :sad:
Reply 812
JK.
OP
Original post by M_E_X
Good post mate, I agree with most of the stuff written there :smile:. I'm trying to find a video of the penalty appeal but I can't, you'd think this stuff would be available on youtube or whatever but I can't find it :/

I definitely get what you mean about it being difficult to create good chances when they just sit with 7 players in/around the box literally the whole game, and Milner and Jo getting back most of the time too :frown:

Cheers and likewise. :yy:

Just found this. That's handball for me.
Hello all,

Ipswich fan checking in. If you need any advice about coming to Portman Road, where to drink etc, drop me a PM.
Original post by Mastermind`

Believe me, we're frustrated enough without you fuelling it further :mad:
Reply 815
Original post by R-KAM
I'd have shot you if you did :pierre:

So sell us Xavi, Iniesta and Messi :teeth:

You won't be able to afford them with all the money in the world tbh.
Original post by JK.
I'm very much of the "well, we [Arsenal] played an attacking strategy and were unlucky to hit the post 3 times, but well done to City they defended well and Hart played well" opinion, as you put it, but I don't agree that Mancini executed his plan that well at all, let alone brilliantly. City got a point, in the end, due to a combination of poor officiating - we should have had a pen, and luck - we really should have and easily could have put some of our chances away. Also, Tevez didn't really have a single proper chance that I can think of, so the pump it long to him strategy failed as well. Had the result remained the same but they'd looked defensively solid, I'd be wholeheartedly agreeing that it was a good, if somewhat obvious gameplan, that had been executed well and we'd witnessed a defensive masterpiece, as it stands though, I'm sure City feel lucky to have come away with the result they did, and there's a reason for that.

I agree with this, I can't see how people are saying Mancini and City played us to perfection yesterday and that's why they got the draw they wanted. They were just very lucky. United stopped us from having chances and they managed to pose a threat on the counter. Against City we had more than enough chances while they created nothing. They could've had a go at us and we miss a host of chances and it end up a draw, no difference. Also teams with less ability than City have managed to beat us so I see no reason as to why City couldn't have at least tried. It is a testament to how good our first 11 are though, that we've comfortably beaten Chelsea at home and Birmingham away and completely outplayed City. If Walcott and Van Persie can stay fit we should have a very good chance at the title. Also it's good to see Djourou getting the plaudits he deserves because him and Sagna have been by far our best defenders this season.
Original post by Mastermind`

Its becoming better. At least hit the post, no? :teehee:
Original post by antonfigo
Its becoming better. At least hit the post, no? :teehee:

Perhaps. But there is nothing "unlucky" about hitting the post, it counts as off target, kinda like a short that just spins wide of the post.

To the other Arselona fans in this thread - I don't think City have the players yet (or last night at least) to successfully implement what Man Utd/Chelsea (before their crumble) have done to Arsenal. Or maybe they did just play for the draw.

Whatever the case they have no moral obligation to come to The Emirates and attack you full pelt. They weren't the home side and any team, bar Barca, who come to The Emirates and open up will probably be severely raped. Besides, Man City will just be happy with a top 4 finish this season imo. Finishing in the top 4 is extremely important so they can attract the bigger names. Don't let the fact that they're currently 2nd fool you or that "BUT DEY SPEND LOADS OF MUNI N PLAY LYK DAT!111" Spending loads of money doesn't mean you shouldn't be tactically sensible. This isn't Football Manager.
Original post by M_E_X
And yes, Jo was a better choice than Adam Johnson. Johnson offers nothing defensively and is not good in the air. Jo was meant to be a threat from set pieces and to provide flick ons to Tevez (which I think he did once, but no more). That said, he didn't really work, and Jo was City's worst player by a mile. I still think he was a better choice than Johnson though...if City were attacking Johnson would obviously have been a better choice with his pace, crossing etc, but when they were just pumping it long to Tevez none of that was really applicable.

Jo offers **** all full stop. I don't see why a team with Barry, De Jong, Milner, Toure (all as defensively strong as their attack) needs another player to have a defensive mindset, it's ridiculous. Johnson would have had offered a far better outlet than Jo to relive pressure instead you just kept inviting it on, You can't just look at the result and claim City did well, we came very close to scoring on a number of occasions

Latest